Advice Help For Next Camera

fromdecember

Just to give some background... 

My past cameras were:  T2i, Canon 50d (magic lantern fun), BMCC EF, GH4.  

I sold all my equipment last year just because I needed the money and I was doing less video/photography work.  It was mostly hobby fun, but I did create some video work for various clients and learned to color some log and raw.  

I am looking to start over ($2500-$3000 budget).  

The cameras I'm looking for (and the why) are:

Sony A7 III (s-log fun, low light, and I've heard colors are fairly good though I've never used a Sony)
GH5s (I know the price is almost my budget, so this may be too far unless I wait a few months to save)
BMPC 4K (blackmagic raw is fun to mess with, though I also want to do photography... I figured you could just take a dng still like you would a still pic)
Sony A7RIII (same as the a7iii, just better photography but not sure it's worth the extra cost)

I know glass is a big part too, and it's just as much as the user than the tool but the tools are fun to use and have their advantages.

Would you mind sharing your thoughts as to why I should choose which (and making some glass), and why?  And why not the others..

I would appreciate any advice.  I haven't really looked into camera details since I sold my GH4 stuff and just can't seem to make my mind up on those options.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Have a look at the X-T3. Very impressive.

I also shot with a 50D with ML Raw for a little while. Eventually, that lead me to the 5D Mark III with ML Raw and I couldn’t be happier... it is a completely different experience than the 50D. 

Other than a fleeting thought here and there, I haven’t even considered another camera for nearly two years now. But recently I saw some videos from the X-T3 and the video is ridiculously good, especially for the price. I’m not trading in my 5D3 just yet, but I may be adding an X-T3 to the kit in the next 6 months or so. 

43 minutes ago, mercer said:

Have a look at the X-T3. Very impressive.

I also shot with a 50D with ML Raw for a little while. Eventually, that lead me to the 5D Mark III with ML Raw and I couldn’t be happier... it is a completely different experience than the 50D. 

Other than a fleeting thought here and there, I haven’t even considered another camera for nearly two years now. But recently I saw some videos from the X-T3 and the video is ridiculously good, especially for the price. I’m not trading in my 5D3 just yet, but I may be adding an X-T3 to the kit in the next 6 months or so. 

The Fuji looks interesting, especially the 10-bit internal video.  Though now you're making me rethink about the Canon 5d mark iii with ML lol

Too vague.  Nobody's going to be able to give you meaningful advice because all of the cameras you have listed are brilliant cameras.  Give us some more clues about what you value most in a system (useability? absolute pic quality? collect-ability? value for money? etc.).

I'll pick up one one thing - you use the word 'fun' no less than 5 times in your post.  I'd suggest the BMPC4K is likely to have the best fun-per-buck ratio out of any of those systems.  You can buy a reasonable stills camera with the price difference to some of those other systems (possibly - total cost of ownership might inhibit this).

1 hour ago, fromdecember said:

Sony A7 III (s-log fun, low light, and I've heard colors are fairly good though I've never used a Sony)
GH5s (I know the price is almost my budget, so this may be too far unless I wait a few months to save)
BMPC 4K (blackmagic raw is fun to mess with, though I also want to do photography... I figured you could just take a dng still like you would a still pic)
Sony A7RIII (same as the a7iii, just better photography but not sure it's worth the extra cost)

If you actually need a photo camera, then the Sony's are the only ones on that list which will satisfy you.

Ignoring photography: If you are shooting video in a mostly controlled environment, get the BMPC4K. If it's more run-and-gun get the GH5 or GH5s.

52 minutes ago, fromdecember said:

The Fuji looks interesting, especially the 10-bit internal video.  Though now you're making me rethink about the Canon 5d mark iii with ML lol

I’d never recommend the 5D3 with ML Raw to someone else, I’d only say how happy I am with it. But since you are familiar with the 50D and ML Raw, you’re well aware of some of the issues... most of which are cured with the 5D3. But the workflow can still be a little tedious and storage heavy.

Right now with the options available, I’d go with something that has 10bit video, if video is a priority. I’d choose 10bit over FF... IMO.

Since you’re used to the GH line, the GH5 may be a great choice with its IBIS... plus there’s a great holiday sale.

The P4K seems to be a great camera if you’re shooting only video and have the time to wait for availability... preorders may not be filled until well into next year, plus you will need a few extra accessories that will bump the great price to a really good price.

The X-T3 seems like the perfect hybrid available... IMO... great stills and great video with a really nice lens line up. 

Of those 3, you will have to spend money on media to get the most out of each system. Also do you have a computer that can handle the files or do you mind working with proxies?

As any suggestion, YMMV and it really is a personal decision based on your needs. Hell, the G85 and the Olympus E-M10 Mark III are great little cameras, so if you could get by with one of those, then why not. Point being... everyone’s needs are different.

4 minutes ago, mercer said:

I’d never recommend the 5D3 with ML Raw to someone else, I’d only say how happy I am with it. But since you are familiar with the 50D and ML Raw, you’re well aware of some of the issues... most of which are cured with the 5D3. But the workflow can still be a little tedious and storage heavy.

Right now with the options available, I’d go with something that has 10bit video, if video is a priority. I’d choose 10bit over FF... IMO.

Since you’re used to the GH line, the GH5 may be a great choice with its IBIS... plus there’s a great holiday sale.

The P4K seems to be a great camera if you’re shooting only video and have the time to wait for availability... preorders may not be filled until well into next year, plus you will need a few extra accessories that will bump the great price to a really good price.

The X-T3 seems like the perfect hybrid available... IMO... great stills and great video with a really nice lens line up. 

Of those 3, you will have to spend money on media to get the most out of each system. Also do you have a computer that can handle the files or do you mind working with proxies?

As any suggestion, YMMV and it really is a personal decision based on your needs. Hell, the G85 and the Olympus E-M10 Mark III are great little cameras, so if you could get by with one of those, then why not. Point being... everyone’s needs are different.

The only reason I put Sony on the list was its low-light capabilities.  I'm not seeing better video than the Fuji or GH5s.  BMPC looks interesting, but you're right about the backorder.  I enjoy the Blackmagic Raw files, but they seem to always have issues with their cameras when they are released.  I do take video in low light areas, so that was a push with Sony but I'm also using the camera for photography.  The Full Frame sensor is interesting, as I've never had a full frame camera.  The GH4 was great, especially with green screen and no moire in video.

That being said, the Fuji is looking interesting.  I'm leading between the Fuji XT3 and GH5s... the negative to XT3 is the stabilization but the video specs are good, plus people say GH5s isn't the best at pictures and Fuji looks to be better at that. 

I would buy 2 cameras. A C100 with DPAF for video, and then some kind of APSC Canon for photos. That way can use the same lenses and have the same aspect ratio and Color Science. Maybe a 80D with the C100, or a 70D and do some ML stuff. But maybe you want 4K with HDR? GH5, X-T3 do that the cheapest .

47 minutes ago, fromdecember said:

That being said, the Fuji is looking interesting.  I'm leading between the Fuji XT3 and GH5s... the negative to XT3 is the stabilization but the video specs are good, plus people say GH5s isn't the best at pictures and Fuji looks to be better at that. 

The GH5s also doesn’t have stabilization, so based on your comment, XT3 is the clear winner. 

On 12/3/2018 at 7:01 AM, fromdecember said:

I am looking to start over ($2500-$3000 budget).  

With your budget, and starting from scratch, then I wouldn't ever suggest anything more expensive than a X-T3 / BMPCC4K

And ideally a Panasonic G85 or cheaper would be better for you.

Tripod/lenses/audio/lighting/accessories/etc all add up a lot to the total cost of the gear. Even if you only get a minimal amount of each. 

On 12/3/2018 at 7:50 AM, Kisaha said:

A7iii seems like the best full frame hybrid option right now

Not so now the Nikon Z6 is out!
(not unless you place an overly high priority on native mount lenses)

On 12/3/2018 at 9:21 AM, fromdecember said:

The only reason I put Sony on the list was its low-light capabilities.

Do remember all your past cameras you listed are quite bad ish in low light, with the GH4 being the best of the bunch you've owned in the past.

Often people realize they need better lowlight then go into TOTAL OVERKILL MODE and get themselves an a7S, to the detriment of other areas. 

When even the Panason G85 will be better in lowlight than anything you've had before. 

Plus what lenses have you used in the past? As lens can make a MASSIVE difference for lowlight shooting.

And I haven't even touched the subject of lighting yet....

The GH4 was great, especially with green screen and no moire in video.

If you loved the GH4 then you'll love the Panasonic G85 (and your wallet will thank you!).

The Panasonic GH5S is great at stills... if you don't mind the 10 megapixel resolution! For some people this is a problem. But if you're just putting on social media and such, then this would be just fine. 

53 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Lenses lenses lenses.

From one perspective, then Nikon has the best diversity of lens with their deep and rich history of F mount lenses. Especially as some perform extremely well with Nikon's own adapter. 

It is only if a person insists upon "native" mount lenses then other brands pull ahead.

55 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Plus AF, ISO performance and price (A7iii is 500euros cheaper in my country!).

AF: excellent on the Nikon
ISO: has been praised on the Z6
Price: is only just now shipping, give it a few more months into the new year and we'll see some discounts
IBIS: way ahead of Sony
10bit: Sony doesn't have this option at all
Weather sealing / Pro Support / Color Science / etc: Nikon has the edge

9 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Often people realize they need better lowlight then go into TOTAL OVERKILL MODE and get themselves an a7S, to the detriment of other areas. 

Yeah, I wanted extra low light and almost went with an A7III partly for that reason. I ended up with the GH5 and am really happy with what I am getting precisely because of the Voitlander 17.5mm 0.95 prime on it. The night city portraits are spectacular and I'm super happy with the combination, despite the GH5 not really being a low light star.

17 minutes ago, kye said:

I ended up with the GH5 and am really happy with what I am getting precisely because of the Voitlander 17.5mm 0.95 prime on it.

It is a great lens. I've shot with that on the BMPCC in only moonlight and been happy with it! (although a single LED panel is nice too, and I'd use it sometimes)

10 hours ago, Jadesroom said:

Advice:  Remember that the most important equipment you have is within you...your knowledge and abilities. 

I remember watching an episode of Top Gear and Richard Hammond was driving some crazy car around the track and said "ooh this car is so much better than me!" and I've always remembered that.  I'm on my second trip with the GH5 and I'm starting to get a feel for it now and when I take the images into Resolve at the end of the day and have a little play with them I am reminded that it is indeed so much better than me.

I think actually that this "benchmark" is a good one for buying equipment - if all the features that you use on your camera are better than you then there's no point upgrading.