The Resolve / Colour Grading resource thread

kye

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, andrew_dotdot said:

I use the face enhance regularly, and I like it. I don't use it to change the look very much, but I use it judiciously for the following things:

* sharpen the eyes

* a gentle "remove eye-bags" does wonders

* sometimes "remove shine" is helpful for hair-impaired men

* brighten or darken a face independently of other nodes in the grade

So, it's totally fine for a quick enhance. I've not used other beauty plug-ins -- so I can't compare, I'm afraid.

Sometime, though, I wish you could use the mask it generates to do other things outside the face enhance tool itself. You see that nice mask and that nice outline, and you wish you could convert it to a tracked window, for example.

You can!

Step 1: apply the plugin

1795797045_ScreenShot2019-05-18at9_55_41am.thumb.png.f0e5b4be2a43d8f478367997971c5da3.png

Step 2: select the "Show Mask" box under Skin Mask

827131140_ScreenShot2019-05-18at9_56_07am.png.319361cdc690e120c64184c2ad283f04.png

Step 3: connect another node like this, then apply adjustments in the second node:

2136912729_ScreenShot2019-05-18at9_57_27am.png.1d26e519f914cbffc145d4f3767e8b5a.png

As you can see it's not perfect, but this is probably a bad example and I didn't try at all to refine it, and there are lots of mask refinement adjustments in the Face Refinement plugin.

Bonus Tip: you can do this with any node that has a "show mask" feature.  I've done it with the EdgeDetect plugin, for example to soften only particularly harsh edges, etc.  Lots of potential using this method to get highly stylised effects that no single plugin can do by itself.

5 hours ago, kye said:

You can!

Step 1: apply the plugin

1795797045_ScreenShot2019-05-18at9_55_41am.thumb.png.f0e5b4be2a43d8f478367997971c5da3.png

Step 2: select the "Show Mask" box under Skin Mask

827131140_ScreenShot2019-05-18at9_56_07am.png.319361cdc690e120c64184c2ad283f04.png

Step 3: connect another node like this, then apply adjustments in the second node:

2136912729_ScreenShot2019-05-18at9_57_27am.png.1d26e519f914cbffc145d4f3767e8b5a.png

As you can see it's not perfect, but this is probably a bad example and I didn't try at all to refine it, and there are lots of mask refinement adjustments in the Face Refinement plugin.

Bonus Tip: you can do this with any node that has a "show mask" feature.  I've done it with the EdgeDetect plugin, for example to soften only particularly harsh edges, etc.  Lots of potential using this method to get highly stylised effects that no single plugin can do by itself.

Wow! I made a rather halfarsed attempt to do this one time and failed. I will definiera give this another try. Thank you!

Some may find this useful...

Toms videos are pitched at people less familiar with colour grading, but are thorough.

TL;DR:

• First node is to convert whatever format you shot (eg, log) into a more rec709 amount of contrast and saturation
  • Second node has a key for skin tones and you can adjust mid-tone detail for a beauty effect if you like
  • Third node is applying a LUT for a cool look
  • Fourth node is in parallel to the third node, and gets inputs from the second node of both the image and the key (which is inverted)
  • The third and fourth node go into a Layer mixer which goes to output

What this does is basically put the skin tones on top of the LUT, and then adjusting the Key Output you can adjust how transparent the skin is, blending it into the overall look.

8 hours ago, thephoenix said:

personaly i find the result pretty ugly

From Toms video?

What about it don't you like?  I could do without the skin tone smoothing myself, but the technique is pretty standard, I just don't think I'd posted a video showing how to do strong colouring and still keep reasonable skin tones.

8 hours ago, kye said:

From Toms video?

What about it don't you like?  I could do without the skin tone smoothing myself, but the technique is pretty standard, I just don't think I'd posted a video showing how to do strong colouring and still keep reasonable skin tones.

actually there is nothing i like about it. the grading looks bad to me but the worst is what he does to the models poor face. look at it, she looks like a freak, well it is an exemple of what you can do so i hope he doesn't produces videos with faces like that.

look at the image coming from the video, she looks like an alien to whom you added eyes and mouth.

there are better ways to do that. it like in photoshop, you can remove everething and a lot of people tend to do that because once you started you can't stop but what's the result ?

wax skin and alien look.

11 hours ago, kye said:

From Toms video?

I didn't watch all of it, but he doesn't seem to convert S-Gamut to Rec.709. I know that he has skills and a good reputation, but I always find it amateurish when people apply some contrast and forget about the gamut.

Jeez, you guys are harsh....  he does a couple of side things the wrong way and so you throw away what was (for me) the point of the whole video - the layer of skin tones put back over the LUT to get a believable result even if you have a strong grade.  That's why I posted it.

I agree that not converting to rec709 properly wasn't the right way to start, I agree that smoothing then blurring the skin wasn't a nice thing to do either, but if you're going to discount someone because they did that then go watch Juan Melaras videos on repeat because no other youtuber meets your standards.  I've watched hundreds and hundreds of grading videos and I'm pretty sure I've seen every YT colourist do either one or both of those things on their channels before!! ???

6 minutes ago, Attila Bakos said:

That's actually a good advice, I watched some of Juan Melaras videos on repeat :)

Me too!  So much knowledge packed into such a short amount of time, they're deceptively simple too.

hi all

i have a new project starting.

rushes are 780go

on my computer i have a 1to ssd and a hard drive of 4to, the hd is 5400rpm. do you think it can handle 4k rushes ?

i think not but prefer to ask. asking because my 1to disk isn't empty

by the way, i need to backup my project, but in resolve i don't really get the difference between "entire project" and "timelines" and when i export entire project it just exports my rushes, the database files aren't.

so what is the best way to export all my project so i can eventually re work on it someday ?

@thephoenix

For a project that size, I would edit and grade in 1080 and then change the timeline resolution to 4K before the export. I've often had much better playback rates working this way on larger timelines. Of course, change to 4K before you do any graphics/titles as well to avoid them being the the wrong part of the frame later on :)Doing it this way, you might be able to get away with using the slower drive, but not sure.

Or once you've got a first draft edit from the slower drive, you could move the media that you're definitely using to the faster one, leaving the clips you don't need behind.

As for exporting the project for reopening on another machine, or simply to keep things organised, I open the first menu (the home in the bottom right), right click on the project you want and then select Export Project and save it the .drp file wherever you need it to be. This is just the project file, so it won't copy any of your media along with it.

I hope that helps :) 

16 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

@thephoenix

For a project that size, I would edit and grade in 1080 and then change the timeline resolution to 4K before the export. I've often had much better playback rates working this way on larger timelines. Of course, change to 4K before you do any graphics/titles as well to avoid them being the the wrong part of the frame later on :)Doing it this way, you might be able to get away with using the slower drive, but not sure.

Or once you've got a first draft edit from the slower drive, you could move the media that you're definitely using to the faster one, leaving the clips you don't need behind.

As for exporting the project for reopening on another machine, or simply to keep things organised, I open the first menu (the home in the bottom right), right click on the project you want and then select Export Project and save it the .drp file wherever you need it to be. This is just the project file, so it won't copy any of your media along with it.

I hope that helps :) 

thanks

when opening the drp file you need to relocate all rushes ? right ?

does it keep all cuts, transitions, grading etc... ?

As long as the footage and media is in the same location as your last save, it'll open as normal with everything still connected.

If your media is in a different locations, you just need to point resolve to the folder it's been moved to and it'll connect everything in that folder. 

Cuts, colour, transitions etc. Are all left the same.

• 1 month later...