The Resolve / Colour Grading resource thread

kye

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I just noticed that now DR16 has the Cut page, there are no more gaps in the shortcut keys.

• Shift-1 is Projects
  • Shift-2 is Media
  • Shift-3 is Cut
  • Shift-4 is Edit
  • Shift-5 is Fusion
  • Shift-6 is Colour
  • Shift-7 is Fairlight
  • Shift-8 is Deliver

I'd always noticed that there used to be gaps in those keys, for example Shift-4 was always Edit but Shift-3 didn't have anything, and now those gaps are gone so they've obviously had this architecture in mind for a few versions.

Went to a rodeo over the weekend and rendered proxy media when I got home, then this morning I started cutting it in the new Edit page.  

I must say that the mode where it puts all your clips together in a long stream is very handy for cutting quickly.  Just moving around with J K L, in and out points with I and O, and then doing an insert with Command-P (which I had mapped previously) means you can basically edit one-handed with no mouse usage.  Doing an initial assembly used to be an exercise in frustration with shortcut keys and navigation really getting in the way, but..... no longer! ???

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of people are asking if Resolve is ready for real pro use - I know some on these forums are using it for such projects, but there's not a lot of talk about using it for entire TV episodes or movies.

Just came upon this post on the BM forums (which is a list of bugs) from someone that said they've edited and delivered 6 episodes of their reality TV show with it.

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=91322

Obviously they list a bunch of bugs, but they actually delivered a bunch of episodes, so that's interesting.

53 minutes ago, kye said:

Lots of people are asking if Resolve is ready for real pro use

I couldn't use it for my bread and butter editing for one main reason. You can't adjust the volume of a clip at source level. Sure there are work around, but it's just not the same.

If you're watching an hour long interview, but the audio's at -18 to allow some headroom, I can't be turning my speakers up and down to accommodate, because when I go to play something else it'll just be too loud. Trying to adjust my speakers to accommodate gets frustrating. Especially when you turn up a quiet interview and then import a song while forgetting to turn the speakers down again! 

Similarly, when you import some music that's levelled at -0, I want to be able to turn the source down. I could put the clip in the sequence and spot from there, but that quickly becomes messy.

In Premiere, and most other software, you can adjust the levels and view it in the Source viewer, before it goes anywhere near a timeline, which keeps things much more organised, and maintains your desired sound levels throughout the project.

That said, I am new to Resolve, so if I'm wrong, please let me know as that could change a lot for me.

5 hours ago, thephoenix said:

look on the right side. middle of the screen

Ah, that doesn't have any effect on the clip's volume, but on the output volume. What I want to be able to do for example is this:

Clip 1 levels are at -18db

Clip 2 levels are at +0db

Without going into a timeline, just by viewing the clips in the source viewer, I want to turn them both up or down to hit -12db. then every time I clip that clip to view a part it's always at -12db, anywhere in the software. The slide you pointed out won't do this, and Clip 1 will always be -18db quieter than Clip 2.

You can do that, but when you've got hour long interviews, all from different sources with different loudness etc. it's easier to adjust them all at a source level. Then you can spot and mark quotes in the source clip instead of having 20 interviews and 20 timelines to watch them in. Just play it in the source viewer and adjust the levels on each one, and they'll stay like that forever, in every sequence. Then when you need to go back and find a certain quote, you don't need to repeat your work. It behaves as though you've imported the clip at the loudness that you want it to be at.

If you get a project from another editor, or pass your project on, everything's uniform and roughly at the right markings on the meters, so you/they only need to fine tune for the final audio mixes.

If you have it, open Premiere and have a look at how they've implemented it with the Clip Mixer, it's very handy and in my opinion invaluable on long form projects with hours of media to sort through.

I guess you could kind of equate it to changing the type of audio in your file. In Resolve you can change the Clip Attributes to have 2 mono tracks or 1 stereo track, for example. Left being audio out the builtin mics and right coming from a shotgun. In the timeline, you could put the stereo track in, and then only have it play the left or right channel, or change it at a clip level to 2 mono tracks and only bring 1 of them into the sequence. Which would you find easier and neater to work with? 

Has anyone tried using the 'Beauty' effects? 

I was recently grading an interview and thought I'd give it a quick test and I'm more impressed than I was expecting. It kind of reminds me of Cosmo from the Magic Bullet Looks thing, but much more elegant and easier to control. Not sure about the parts where you can adjust individual features, and all that stuff, but to tidy up blotchy skin or whatever, I can see it coming in quite handy.

On 5/16/2019 at 11:45 AM, Anaconda_ said:

Has anyone tried using the 'Beauty' effects? 

I was recently grading an interview and thought I'd give it a quick test and I'm more impressed than I was expecting. It kind of reminds me of Cosmo from the Magic Bullet Looks thing, but much more elegant and easier to control. Not sure about the parts where you can adjust individual features, and all that stuff, but to tidy up blotchy skin or whatever, I can see it coming in quite handy.

I use the face enhance regularly, and I like it. I don't use it to change the look very much, but I use it judiciously for the following things:

* sharpen the eyes

* a gentle "remove eye-bags" does wonders

* sometimes "remove shine" is helpful for hair-impaired men

* brighten or darken a face independently of other nodes in the grade

So, it's totally fine for a quick enhance. I've not used other beauty plug-ins -- so I can't compare, I'm afraid.

Sometime, though, I wish you could use the mask it generates to do other things outside the face enhance tool itself. You see that nice mask and that nice outline, and you wish you could convert it to a tracked window, for example.