DJI Announcing Something New On The 28th

DBounce

4 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Pretty good honest review of the Pocket, Warts and all.

Yes, a good review. I have the Osmo Pocket for a week now, and although I've had a little time to test is properly, I tend to agree with the reviewer on many points. The video quality is good, surprisingly good for such a small camera. The sofware, however, both in the Pocket iiself, and in the Mimo app, seems somehow unfinished and a bit confusing. The better manual is also missing. The icons are not so intuitive, some options works in a strange way, or even don't work - like exposition correction in the the Mimo app, or, more important to me, a way to stop down overall exposition - one can change ISO down to 100, but still the light is too bright on a sunny, snowy day like here where I'm, so I had to increase shutter speed up to 1/800 (and the footage remains smooth, to my surprize, like it is not shutter speed change!?), since I have not found yet the way to stop down the aperture itself (it's more like it is always on f/2). - But it is good in low light, for inside shots, and my overall impresion is that this Osmo Pocket is useful for home or private (like travell) use. The footage is good, well stabilized (here I don't agree with the reviewer), and not bad for grading interventions in post. I hope the DJI will soon give us better software solutions for this interesting toy.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Gerald Undone is the best tech reviewer on youtube. And the most honest one.

Of course, it’s not the only one. Iphonedo is the most inventive, and Sydney Diongzon or David Alitzer are great as well, but they seems to me too close/friend with gears companies, and I always feel that they are too nice when they review a product.

5 hours ago, Snowbro said:

Ok, I found something important: Saw a video where a guy compared the "fine" & "superfine" modes. The bitrate is supposedly the same, superfine just adds in digital sharpening. 

Yes, superfine is digital sharpening.
And it works in 1080p only, and drains the battery faster.

40 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

I am confused as to why I keep seeing people say this has excellent low light performance. There seems to be tons of noise when shooting indoors. It also drops the resolution shooting in lower light. 

You’re right.
A lot of noise indoor, and how could that be different with a small sensor ?

I would upload a video tomorrow about that, and here’s a quick one I made tonight outdoor :

51 minutes ago, Alex Uzan said:

You’re right.

Superfine can be enabled by using the phone in "pro mode" with 4k, which stays enabled on the osmo pocket even standalone, until exited. I didn't expect it to be any better than a mavic air in low light, I am just saying, every video I see is someone saying how amazing it is in low light. It is funny. 

57 minutes ago, Alex Uzan said:

Gerald Undone is the best tech reviewer on youtube. And the most honest one.

Of course, it’s not the only one. Iphonedo is the most inventive, and Sydney Diongzon or David Alitzer are great as well, but they seems to me too close/friend with gears companies, and I always feel that they are too nice when they review a product.

You’re right.

I would upload a video tomorrow about that, and here’s a quick one I made tonight outdoor :

That is really not too bad. Not many cameras other than a Sony A7s kick ass at night.

31 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

Superfine can be enabled by using the phone in "pro mode" with 4k, which stays enabled on the osmo pocket even standalone, until exited. I didn't expect it to be any better than a mavic air in low light, I am just saying, every video I see is someone saying how amazing it is in low light. It is funny. 

Are you sure ?

In pro mode with 4k, superfine is greyed out on my phone (android)

1 hour ago, Alex Uzan said:

Are you sure ?

In pro mode with 4k, superfine is greyed out on my phone (android)

It lets me on my s8+ in pro mode (would never use it anyway, hate in camera sharpening). I tested skin tones vs the g7x ii & it was so many miles ahead of the dji. I can also put the g7x in my pocket; for me, it really is between those 2 to supplement my 1dx ii. I am not going to take the time to connect my phone to the pocket & correctly set the fps/white balance etc. Canon turns on fast enough and is stable even walking. Indoor low light wasn't a competition obviously, I was scared to use the pocket indoors with that much noise in my earlier testing. The auto white balance kept going yellow over and over again on the pocket. I hope they improve that AWB. 

I think the pocket is not a flattering vlog setup. I would use it for outdoors stuff and running around chasing things. G7x ii for anything else that you don't bring a dslr for. I seriously cannot stress enough how much better people looked on the g7x vs the pocket. 

1 hour ago, Snowbro said:

24mm point & shoot is about like 20mm full frame because the lens is long on the bigger camera. The g7x ii & rx100 start at 24mm and they are actually the most popular vlogging cameras right now. https://vloggerpro.com/what-cameras-do-famous-youtubers-use/

Hmm no mike input kind of sucks. No 4K either, but since it is a Canon, no surprise. Yeah the flip up screen and DPAF is a big plus.

15 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

I like how the media posted so much about that couple, damning them without evidence. In the states, they would have been fired from their jobs & not rehired after being cleared. I hope they sue for defamation. 

On 12/22/2018 at 1:49 AM, webrunner5 said:

This is a good review although I think (like a lot of the reviews) it sort of misses the point. Most of the 'reviewers' are serious photo and video enthusiasts and I would 100% agree that if you are looking at it from the perspective of a pro/enthusiast tool it is fiddly and frustrating. Half the more 'pro' features only sort of work and usually come with with some sort of gotcha. 4k 60 loses facial recognition and tracking and cant be downloaded to a smartphone, histograms and zebras arent much use if you cant do a lot with exposure, raw stills/panos only work with the smartphone attached (unless you dont switch modes) and cant be downloaded to your smartphone. Etc, etc....

But this product seems firmly aimed at smartphone users who want to take their photos/videos up a notch or two with the minimum of hassle or effort. And this it does really well and is a lot of 'fun' to use. My just turned 5 year old son absolutely loves it - so does my GF... And the quality is really impressive, as is the auto focus (following the update). As an example here is a jpeg (you can do raw) pano....

DJI_0001-8-Pano-Edit.thumb.jpg.c5bcd3a3e65459a0ca8015308284f66e.jpg

And here is a 1:1 zoom (1920 x 1080) of the red box area.

100.thumb.jpg.3bdb06492f9073aeed3ec600f11bfec7.jpg

Generally speaking, lots of detail and not much noise. How does DJI do it? Well it takes advantage of the fact that the camera is on a gimbal to shoot at a very slow shutter speed - choosing 1/10th of a second (resulting in a relatively low iso of 400) - for the pano shots.

Well there is no doubt that the output will be better than smartphone output overall just because of the better Gimbal Stabilization alone, not counting near or close to as good of footage. So for the intended audience it is a winner for sure. I think they will sell an amazing amount of them.

As to Pro usage, well just like smartphones I don't think either is there yet, but in a few more years they might be a heck of a lot closer than the big camera manufacturers might like LoL. If they can do zoom lenses on them, folded optics, that alone will bring them up a lot. And you know someone is going to come up with a new,modern, 1" one and that might be sort of an enough quality increase to make a real impact for the vast majority of people. Sure they are never going to be an Arri, but not everyone is shooting for a Blockbuster Movie either.

8 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

This is a good review although I think (like a lot of the reviews) it sort of misses the point. Most of the 'reviewers' are serious photo and video enthusiasts and I would 100% agree that if you are looking at it from the perspective of a pro/enthusiast tool it is fiddly and frustrating. Half the more 'pro' features only sort of work and usually come with with some sort of gotcha. 4k 60 loses facial recognition and tracking and cant be downloaded to a smartphone, histograms and zebras arent much use if you cant do a lot with exposure, raw stills/panos only work with the smartphone attached (unless you dont switch modes) and cant be downloaded to your smartphone. Etc, etc....

But this product seems firmly aimed at smartphone users who want to take their photos/videos up a notch or two with the minimum of hassle or effort. And this it does really well and is a lot of 'fun' to use. My just turned 5 year old son absolutely loves it - so does my GF... And the quality is really impressive, as is the auto focus (following the update). As an example here is a jpeg (you can do raw) pano....

DJI_0001-8-Pano-Edit.thumb.jpg.c5bcd3a3e65459a0ca8015308284f66e.jpg

And here is a 1:1 zoom (1920 x 1080) of the red box area.

100.thumb.jpg.3bdb06492f9073aeed3ec600f11bfec7.jpg

Generally speaking, lots of detail and not much noise. How does DJI do it? Well it takes advantage of the fact that the camera is on a gimbal to shoot at a very slow shutter speed - choosing 1/10th of a second (resulting in a relatively low iso of 400) - for the pano shots.

Sold... : ) How much is the final resolution in those pano shots BTW?

• Super Members
17 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

Incredibly, they've backtracked on that backtrack now and say there have been sightings.

This is my idea of what is causing the confusion for the copper making the statements ;)

166362072_ScreenShot2018-12-24at17_24_04.thumb.png.8e07c86886e3c3fa1947eaa25fbd56a7.png