DJI Announcing Something New On The 28th

DBounce

On 12/15/2018 at 9:41 PM, Snowbro said:

The newest iphone has a crazy hdr video mode where it shoots in 60p, but exports in 30p. Takes the slightly under exposed and slightly over exposed and combines for crazy good DR video. 

Yeah I agree. I just ordered a iPhone XS and will be here tomorrow. So iPhone X gets traded in. The better DR is what has impressed me the most, and low light seems Way better. I will soon find out. I found this video pretty amazing figuring it is shot on a phone. It has a a7s look to it in some of the night shots to me. These phones are doing some pretty crazy stuff with AI. Supposedly it can do a Trillion AI computations a photo doing HDR! And the A12 Bionic can compute as many as 5 trillion operations per second!

But I still want to get the Osmo Pocket. The Gimbal and size are too good to pass up. I have a Stedicam Volt for my iPhone. Not the easiest thing to use. But it can work pretty good for the money it cost.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, Alex Uzan said:

I got mine today.

I haven’t check the image quality yet, but two things :

1) this camera is ntsc only, no 4k50 or 25. Only 60 and 30.

2) the grip is getting hot quickly, and it really cold around me.
I can not imagine what it would be under the sun.

Are you shure that you not can change to PAL? Mine is coming today :(

As I understand it, you can shoot 30 and 60 dogs only, but it has an anti flicker setting for 50hz.

in theory then, you can still shoot in PAL countries without the usual interferences, but it kind of limits you to only playing back in Slowmo. 

Any real-time playback will be choppy if you’re working in 25p timelines. 

1 hour ago, Anaconda_ said:

As I understand it, you can shoot 30 and 60 dogs only, but it has an anti flicker setting for 50hz.

in theory then, you can still shoot in PAL countries without the usual interferences, but it kind of limits you to only playing back in Slowmo. 

Any real-time playback will be choppy if you’re working in 25p timelines. 

But if i will combine the footage on a night event in europe with 50p footage from other cameras is a problem..

Example:

You just slow the 60fps footage to more than 50%.  

In premiere if you interpret the footage to play at 25fps it’ll slow it down and not skip or jump any frames. 

Im not sure on exact maths, but this will turn 1 second of footage (60 frames) into  more than 2 seconds (maybe 2.25 or something?)

interpreting 50fps footage into 25fps will turn that 1 second into exactly 2 seconds. 

Its far far from ideal, and very limiting to be forced to use this camera for slowmo only . 

Make it a feature request and they’ll hopefully add it in the next update. Seems totally bonkers to not have PAL rates.

First video I've seen that was correctly exposed and somehow the sharpness doesn't look overdone. I thought people said there was no way to turn the sharpness down? Didn't what's cookin say even in d-cinelike (pre production versions) that there was no sharpness setting??

* Another issue I don't see people talk about: Everytime you turn it on, you have to connect to your phone & set the correct fps, color profile etc. ruins the whole "fast shot" thing. Also, if you end up putting any accessories on it, like the gopro mount, it wont fit in the case, so then you have a high risk of damaging a free flopping gimbal head lol.

My mistake, you can shoot in pal, but you have to configure it with your smartphone.
It's a pro mode, where you can adjust ISO, shutter speed, and framerate.
I didn't see anything about cinelike color though.

My only complaint with it, and maybe the reason I will send it back, it's the heat from the grip.
After 10min, it's really unpleasant to hold it.

There are PAL framerates on Pro mode connecting to MIMO app. After you plug off your phone the setting remain stored( other have mention that reset after power off) the heat comes from the battery.i think the only solution is a small foamgrip.at the moment i live with a 3d printed stand and a small tripod  

IMG_20181218_202533.jpg

IMG_20181218_202254.jpg

Came here to say that about 25/50p - Is there any reason you have to be 'PRO' to film in PAL?

Does anyone know if there's a way to turn off the beeping every time you start/stop recording? It's a horrible noise.

I also really hope they turn off the 'feature' that means in PRO mode you can't change to other functions (photo/timelapse/panorama) without having to go through a phone app. The phone is great for when you want to use it, but clumsy when you just want to take a quick photo and then go back to video. 

I’m sending mine back to dji store.

here’s why :

1) The battery gets really warm too quickly (in winter !). And since it’s not removable, I wont bet on this osmo pocket lifetime.

2) Video quality is ok, but not great. Very low DR.

3) You really need accessories, and they’re not cheap.

4) pro mode can only be set via your smartphone, and it’s a pain to use, until a next firmware fix that.

Just got one to try out for shots between setting up my heavy A DSLR. The AI for tracking, aka using it as a 2nd cameraman works great. Btw, only draw a box around someone's head, if their body shape changes (crouch, or move further back etc.) it will lose it. 

It does however absolutely suck a major one indoors, no surprise considering its equivalent to an f11.2 at 26mm on full frame. I can't even use it at all indoors even with the room lit completely; it requires 1600-3200 iso at 24p 50 shutter speed. IQ is down to nothing at even iso 600, impressively noisey. It just looks like typical cell phone footage. I think something like the g7x iii will obliterate it, the g7x ii already has really good optical IS and decent low light. Should get 4k next iteration. 

My wife had her sisters over, age 11, 14 and 20. Showed them the osmo pocket, none of them remotely cared. These are girls that are constantly taking video/photos for their social media. I have a 7 foot wingspan, I held it out as far as I can and it is barely acceptable for a quick vlog shot. Not comfortable to do that and you will look extra stupid. Most people using it on a vlog shot will be way way too close. Once again, I think dji is going to be sideswiped when their demographics data comes in. I don't know if we will ever see a V2. 

One positive that eased a concern I had from the start: Once you set up how you want to shoot in pro mode with your phone, it stays on those settings, even when powering on and off without the phone. I don't however know why you can't choose to go back to your pro mode settings if you select any other mode between using your phone again? You can't switch to anything, locked in on pro mode or lose your settings. 

Another negative: The battery dies really fast, the screen wasn't on (connect to phone) and I was recording a few quick clips in 4k 24p. The battery got to 70% extremely fast. 

It could be awesome just for doing quick motion lapses, but if you select motion lapse without phone attached, it erases your pro settings and have to reconnect phone again to go through your settings. Also probably need a little stand/base thing for the bottom of it, then you can't fit it back in its case between using it, so gimbal head might break. You will likely be doing motion lapses with your phone attached, can be sketchy with wind out to leave standing on its own for 5-30min, could easily be blown over and will fall towards the screen face, breaking your screen.   

I will try it during the day tomorrow and see if it is usable in more typical low light (car or something). 

Edit: Oh yeah, it focus breathes like a MF and quite often in AFC

3 hours ago, Snowbro said:

The battery dies really fast, the screen wasn't on (connect to phone) and I was recording a few quick clips in 4k 24p. The battery got to 70% extremely fast. 

I think that’s because when you use it with your phone, it also acts as a charger of sorts, since your attaching  it to the charging port. 

So I guess using it with your phone takes more power from the battery than using it stand alone. 

51 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

I think that’s because when you use it with your phone, it also acts as a charger of sorts, since your attaching  it to the charging port. 

So I guess using it with your phone takes more power from the battery than using it stand alone. 

"There is a downside to using the app though: for whatever reason, when the phone is plugged into the Osmo Pocket, it also uses it as a battery pack and helps itself to some of the Osmo's battery juice, draining the DJI camera's battery much faster – and we wish this feature could be switched off." You are right

6 hours ago, Alex Uzan said:

I’m sending mine back to dji store.

here’s why :

1) The battery gets really warm too quickly (in winter !). And since it’s not removable, I wont bet on this osmo pocket lifetime.

2) Video quality is ok, but not great. Very low DR.

3) You really need accessories, and they’re not cheap.

4) pro mode can only be set via your smartphone, and it’s a pain to use, until a next firmware fix that.

Same here. It's a nice toy, but it's not worth the money, and I don't need another useless thing gathering dust. Mine will be sent back today. My main concerns are:

- Video quality. For my taste, it's worse than my iPhone, which is my go-to camera if I can't take my heavy gear with me. 

- AF is unreliable and sometimes pumping crazy. Unusable footage.

- Stupid "PRO" mode, which requires my phone to connect. This should be a stand-alone device, not an add-on for my phone.

- Battery: Not changeable, and getting really hot when using the highest settings.