DJI Announcing Something New On The 28th

DBounce

3 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

Me and Jeven (who was linked up there in his two reviews) just did a first look on the new firmware. Vids will come out tomorrow but basically, DJI fixed some of the issues with it. 120fps 1080p officially now. Better AF. and better audio! 

Better audio... didn’t think a software update would fix that one. I look forward to seeing/hearing the review.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

Me and Jeven (who was linked up there in his two reviews) just did a first look on the new firmware. Vids will come out tomorrow but basically, DJI fixed some of the issues with it. 120fps 1080p officially now. Better AF. and better audio! 

Any news in and over the bit rate front?

Got my hands on one today. It had issues with my AData SDXC V90 cards. They are unusable in it. My less pricy V30 Samsung cards work fine. The quality seems better than my smartphones. The audio is serviceable. The tracking seems to frequently frame me either too high or too low. Admittedly, this might be user error. I’ve not had much time to play with it. I’ll know better after getting acquainted with the operation of it.

One thing that I do not like is you need the phone to switch between photo and stills mode. If you do it without the phone app it will exit the “Pro Mode”. I contacted DJI and informed them of this.

The size is... tiny... smaller than I honestly expected. It’s so small you can really use it anywhere.

The 28mm FF equivalent lens feels too narrow. To get around this you need to extend your arm quite a bit. I think 20mm would have been a better balance for the intended use if vlogging.

B7218694-C882-42B3-B058-A8BE85A9F6E1.jpeg

7 hours ago, DBounce said:

Got my hands on one today. It had issues with my AData SDXC V90 cards. They are unusable in it. My less pricy V30 Samsung cards work fine. The quality seems better than my smartphones. The audio is serviceable. The tracking seems to frequently frame me either too high or too low. Admittedly, this might be user error. I’ve not had much time to play with it. I’ll know better after getting acquainted with the operation of it.

One thing that I do not like is you need the phone to switch between photo and stills mode. If you do it without the phone app it will exit the “Pro Mode”. I contacted DJI and informed them of this.

The size is... tiny... smaller than I honestly expected. It’s so small you can really use it anywhere.

The 28mm FF equivalent lens feels too narrow. To get around this you need to extend your arm quite a bit. I think 20mm would have been a better balance for the intended use if vlogging.

Maybe we need a New Thread Solely dealing with issues that DJI needs to address by way of firmware for the Osmo Pocket. 

5 hours ago, JurijTurnsek said:

There's no denying that this is a far more fragile device than an action camera. Judging by the thumbnail, they were pushing the usage limits.

It’s not an action cam. That’s for sure. If you crash... or it takes a bad fall... well it’s not gonna work out well. But used as a Vlogging/travel friendly cam it’s great. The lens should be wider though. Not GoPro wide... just a little wider 20mm is perfect for this use.

13 hours ago, DBounce said:

I have had one for a few days but I am still trying to get to grips with it. Overall, it seems remarkably accomplished for a 1st gen product. They have got a lot right.

As examples...

1) The startup time is incredibly fast - max 5 seconds.

2) The screen is both very clear and bright.

3) The touch interface is really fast and responsive

4) ..same with the software interface

There are a whole load of gotchas admittedly. No face or active tracking in 4k 60p. If you really need to take advantage of 'pro' mode you need to attach a phone (although there is quite a lot of scope to switch between stills and video without a phone.) Battery life is pretty feeble (and seems less than the reviews I have seen). Audio quality issues might be partially down to two separate mics - one of which is right next to the control buttons that some reviewers might have accidentally covered up.

Some of the advertised features 'story mode' and 'D-Cinelike' I dont think are in the app/camera yet. Difficult not to be impressed though. Biggest complaint from me is the lack of integrated wifi/bluetooth.

Not the best test I ever saw, but I have the iPhone X myself, so interesting for me at least. Pocket in reality seems a lot better overall than the iPhone in just about every respect. The Panorama was a Huge difference. Definitely a better Vlog camera, not that I would be doing that often LoL. I am definitely going to get one in a month or so. Hard to beat for something as small and easy to use, with not a lot of fuss.