DJI Announcing Something New On The 28th

DBounce

On 12/1/2018 at 8:47 AM, Anaconda_ said:

any chance of some footage Dave?

You mention 120fps isn’t available in the retail release. Will Cinelike be available?

How do you rate the still photos? 

sorry i have been so busy with YT i havent had time to check the forums...

I will upload some footage to DB for you guys...but if you could do me a favor and pre order the camera using our affiliate link that would be amazing! https://click.dji.com/AA6yMeWjUiNhOEQs4Pha5A?pm=link

Cinelike will be available. 

DJI reached out to me and told me that there is going to be NEW firmware even newer than what I have that they are going to give me to address some of the concerns I had in our Q&A video. SOOOOOOO....just hold all judgment until that video goes live. 

On 11/30/2018 at 4:33 AM, Anaconda_ said:

What's the codec etc. ? I assume some kind of h264 100mbps variant?

How gradable is the footage?

Codec is H.264 and you have the option of .mp4 or .mov. 

100mbps is the "very fine" mode. 

Its ok....as good as you would think lol. Like a Mavic 1 Pro or something. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

Cinelike will be available. 

DJI reached out to me and told me that there is going to be NEW firmware even newer than what I have that they are going to give me to address some of the concerns I had in our Q&A video. SOOOOOOO....just hold all judgment until that video goes live.

Cinelike is IMPORTANT.  The footage lacks a little dynamic range in tough lighting situations (meaning the majority of them). Also, the 100mbps should be in 4k 30p and 24p instead of 60p. That's the lowest bitrate required for Suprefine Pro Mode.

It's great that DJI reached out to you and is listening to reviewers and prospective buyers. If it solelely improves dynamic range and increases the 4k 30p and 24p to 100mbps, it will sell way more. That's one of the few complaints that people have, both of which seem well addressable by firmware. 

Plus price should determine this, or that this is for hobbyists is just some other BS. Cause it's like a drone head without the drone, meaning it's probably like 1/4th the price or less to make. Plus if it can be fixed with a firmware, why not fix it. 

1 hour ago, ntblowz said:

Just sold my X3000, now just waiting for Osmo pocket to arrive

This footage looks great. The DJI Pocket had just a hair more dynamic range in low light and less blowout of light sources. Plus more details, as can be seen from the headlights, where the Go Pro blows out details and the light and dark contrast. 

Screenshot_20181205-113537.png

I did a random Google search a nd found the page of the reviewer above.

https://myfirstdrone.com/dji-osmo-pocket-vs-gopro-hero-7-black

Interestingly he says, "For the best quality, I chose to shoot in 4K at 24FPS. On the Osmo, I used the Pro mode to set the color to “Cinelike” and turn(ed) noise reduction off. On the Hero 7 Black, I used Protune to set the color to “Flat”, then set the max ISO to 1600 since the Osmo can’t go to ISO 3200. I searched for a way of turning noise reduction off on the GoPro, but I couldn’t find anything in the settings or anyone mentioning that as a feature online, so I’m going to assume that isn’t possible."

The highlighted (in bold) portion contradicts what Matt at NewsShooter tried to state. Matt either didn't know how to use the Osmo or got a unit with limited features in the firmware. Either ways, his review is (like the dynamic range of the GH5s piece) is flawed. I hope he makes a correction and stops dissing the thing without knowing the facts and tests it correctly. 

It already has more than enough potential as is - video quality is good enough and a stable shot is worth more than dynamic range. It is meant to create content with minimal fuss. It is not meant for creating works of art with exceptional color depth yada, yada.

I can totally imagine using it while hiking in the Alps, taking it out of the pocket for a quick 1-5 minute clip every half hour - no setup required. You could say that it would not disrupt the experience for the creator as well, since you would not be fiddling with gear to get a good/perfect shot. And a walking clip gives a far better feel for the scenery as a boring standstill pan without a gimbal. And then, there that awesome moving timelapse mode ... sounds amazing, just set it up as you grab a bite before continuing a hike.

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

New review.

The review seems unfortunate. It doesn't address what issues could be fixed with a firmware and what couldn't. And his running style in the last video was hilarious, but it seemed to highlight an issue with the stabilization correctly. I am guessing that the stabilization could be better if he didn't set the autofocus to fast, or if that was not the case, then it could be corrected by way of a firmware handling the speed and accuracy of the gimbal stabilization could be brought out by DJI. 

IMHO no review on this should be final, till such time as it is established that the issues can be addressed with firmware. Until then asking for a Version 2 of the Osmo Pocket is silly. 

I can't help but think that more modern cameras should adopt this type of gimbal setup with an option to lock down the gimbal when needed. I'm not saying they should all be vertical designs, but they should incorporate some form of gimbal. For stills work it would make timelapse and panoramas easy. For video... well we know what it would do for video. DJI has light weight lenses that work with their larger drones. I would be perfectly fine with a zoom that was good quality with a serviceable range. 

But then again it might well be 360 cameras the leap ahead in this role. Combined with AI you get the best of both world, and the ability to choose camera angles on the fly in post. The tech is maturing fast. The new Snapdragon 855 is able to do DOF adjustment in post on video. That's a pretty neat trick.