DJI Announcing Something New On The 28th

DBounce

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

totally. you can buy the weird water proof case!

Yes. And with the waterproof case it can do upto 60 metres which is pretty amazing. If it's the IMX377, 477 or 577 sensor, it should have some serious potential.

@androidlad will probably be able to answer the sensor question better. ?

New accessories video. I can see this thing getting WAY to expensive by the time you buy all the Extra things you sort of need for it. Shame it looks pretty nice, but too expensive. I mean you sort of Need the base and that wheel thingy, and then who knows. And there will be extra stuff 3rd party people come up with. It will never end on it.

Well I found a price list for the accessories. 150 bucks more for the wheel thingy, Bluetooth base, and bracket. So 500 bucks pretty much and that is not talking the microphone attachment, probably not much money, and a half decent external mike. So like 600 bucks in reality rigged with all you sort of need. Oh and then there is the ND filters, Christ LoL.

https://www.droningon.co/2018/11/29/dji-osmo-pocket-accessories-exclusive-review/

On 11/29/2018 at 8:45 PM, Robert Collins said:

I think the DJI pocket addresses all 3 of these issues. First it is so small (half the weight of a smartphone) that anyone can take it with them - no trouble - even if they dont use it. Second it has 'story mode' see 6.30 to 7.50 of this video....

...this creates a video and does the editing for you - it even does all the camera motions!! Thirdly, it instantly edits and records the video on your mobile phone for instant sharing. Overall it seems a lot, lot easier to produce an interesting social media post than a smartphone.

What it doesn't address is carrying another expensive disposable device for people that live on their phones. I just don't see many teenagers carrying this to do something their phone already accomplishes. There are apps that will do exactly what you're talking about with video for instant sharing, and no need for the Osmo, since everyone will still have to carry a phone. 

Like I said, cool what they're doing, just not sure who its aimed at.

Chris

Yeah no doubt the Osmo is way better for movement and it looks like it is better for low light. I would surely like to have one. But this thing in the long run is not going to be cheap with all the goodies you sort of would like to have for it. But I agree with others. You are not going to leave your phone at home, and if you are in bad weather, or at a place that it could get splashed a GoPro, even your phone  is probably better and more durable.

It ends up being another tool in your bag, but damn how many tools can we afford LoL. They have too many toys out is the problem. Oh then you need a Drone, Sigh. ?

11 minutes ago, Novim said:

To add, it seems that Osmo Pocket has nice stills, 12MP DNG raw. Together with video, it is like a nice usefull pocket-book always with you.

Yeah seems like a great item to just have in your glove box at the ready when you want it. Battery life seems to be my biggest concern. 2 hours is not that great with no replaceable battery.

Indeed. The secret is also in the hands of the operator.

To show something requires you can't move the camera like a crazy roulette, that is, like a fool : ) Framing is still an art.

Nothing against the camera to move when these small light tools come so handy, but only the customary load of rubbish coming from bad camera operators so popular today.

Tech should not kill the art behind and beyond.

E : -)

An excellent review at NewsShooter.com:

https://www.newsshooter.com/2018/12/03/dji-osmo-pocket-hands-on-review/

It appears that most of the issues with the Osmo Pocket can be addressed with firmware updates.

IMHO they are thus:

1. Slightly Higher Bitrates would be great. The 100mbps is solely limited to 4k 60p.

(HD Superfine 25p – 30.71 MBit/s

HD Fine 25p – 24.85 MBit/s

HD Fine 60p- 67.16 MBit/s

UHD Superfine 25p – 87.75 MBit/s

UHD Fine 25p – 79.88 MBit/s

UHD Fine 60p – 100.23 MBit/s)

2. The highlights and shadows are not being handled as well as they should be. Meaning either that it doesn't have HDR in video or that it's not preserving those well enough because of the codec in general. DJI does have some great experience with Codec so they should listen to custoner feesback and actually improve the dynamic range. 

3. The low light also seems to be something that needs to be tweaked slightly. And I am guessing it can be with firmware.

4. The 120fps mode will be brought back with a firmware update apparently. I hope they increase the bitrate and improve the Video quality slightly.

5. There are some modes like times lapse and others they're available solely in HD. I wish they were available in 4k too. At worst it may be software limitation.