DJI Announcing Something New On The 28th

DBounce

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah those are nice but it is big. And it stands out in a crowd.  I was looking at getting one of them. I have the Moment Anamorphic lens on order. So yeah would be nice. But damn this new DJI thing sort of is a game changer for ease of use, stealth, weight and size.

I mean we are not going to take a great award wining movie with a Phone or a Osmo Pocket, at least not yet. But heck for damn near all the rest most of us shoot it will get the job done. You know it will get better with firmware and 3rd party stuff for it.

For me this is hard to turn down. I don't even carry my iPhone much anymore since I have my Apple Watch series 3 and series 4 with the Cellular in it. These new Apple watches could save your life by not having to reach in your pocket or purse to get a phone out, especially driving a car, not counting other benefits. People have no clue I am talking to them on a watch, they are that good now, especially the series 4. So I could just throw the Osmo in my pocket and be set.

4 hours ago, Kisaha said:

350 is too much for teenagers, while they have pretty capable cameras in their similarly priced - or cheaper, phones.

It is easier and more convenient to spend an extra 50-80€ to buy a dedicated gimbal, that can use with every phone, and for the limited times that would be needed.

The market is the grown ups.

82% of teenagers in the US use an iphone - so their phones certainly cost a lot more than US$350

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/iphone-use-teens-2018/

GoPro 'primary' market is 14-25 year olds (investor.com), so there seems plenty of disposable income with teenagers (although they may well prefer a GoPro to a DJI Pocket.)

webrunner likes it, seems to fit what he wants to do. Just not for some of us until they fix/change some things. I personally would rather have a main cam, cell phone and gopro on vacation. The gopro is waterproof and less likely to get broken. I will take my phone out for a quick 4k video that will look the same as that osmo pocket. Then use a main camera with great optics for a better picture when I want that.

I want that HDR video in the new iphone xs put into a FF mirrorless. Taking 60p video and converting it to 30p with 2 exposures, looks amazing. Too bad they didn't do that with this little thing or the mavic 2. 

23 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Every teenage girl in the world will have one tomorrow. DJI will sell Millions of them.?

I have 4 teenage nieces, they all prefer their phones since the Osmo can’t make calls, text, Instagram, FaceTime and so on. And they don’t edit anything or even use a computer, with the Osmo you have to offload through  another device.

Travel and vloggers seem to be the target, but beyond stabilization it doesn’t really deliver for either since you need accessories.

Kudos for bringing something different, but the Hero7 with a simple handle still looks better to me, and it’ll likely be a lot more rugged  

Chris

16 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

I have 4 teenage nieces, they all prefer their phones since the Osmo can’t make calls, text, Instagram, FaceTime and so on. And they don’t edit anything or even use a computer, with the Osmo you have to offload through  another device.

Travel and vloggers seem to be the target, but beyond stabilization it doesn’t really deliver for either since you need accessories.

Kudos for bringing something different, but the Hero7 with a simple handle still looks better to me, and it’ll likely be a lot more rugged  

Chris

I think the DJI pocket addresses all 3 of these issues. First it is so small (half the weight of a smartphone) that anyone can take it with them - no trouble - even if they dont use it. Second it has 'story mode' see 6.30 to 7.50 of this video....

...this creates a video and does the editing for you - it even does all the camera motions!! Thirdly, it instantly edits and records the video on your mobile phone for instant sharing. Overall it seems a lot, lot easier to produce an interesting social media post than a smartphone.

4 hours ago, JurijTurnsek said:

The dilemma here is whether to buy a smartphone gimbal or this. Since most flagships (will) feature more focal lengths and can do 4K60p on the main sensor at least, this pocket cam could be too expensive for these customers.

For me there is no dilemma, I've had various smartphone gimbals for years and have never really loved the image quality from smartphones. We own both Android and Apple's flagship phones. From what I have seen of the footage from this little gimbal so far, it blows away smartphones. 

4 minutes ago, DBounce said:

For me there is no dilemma, I've had various smartphone gimbals for years and have never really loved the image quality from smartphones. We own both Android and Apple's flagship phones. From what I have seen of the footage from this little gimbal so far, it blows away smartphones. 

IF you can turn off the digital over sharpening. They probably will let you eventually, cinelike was coming they said

11 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

IF you can turn off the digital over sharpening. They probably will let you eventually, cinelike was coming they said

Good points. But I would imagine for the target audience DJI is going for they probably have it set correctly. I would rather be able to turn it down than try to make it up if it wasn't there to start with. I have heard about Cinelike maybe being there already in the Pro version if you use your Smartphone? I know I read about it definitely going to have it at least.

I agree with @DBounce   This thing is definitely better than any phone I have owned. I just spent a lot of money on gizmo's for my iPhone X. I wish I hadn't right now.

19 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I agree with @DBounce   This thing is definitely better than any phone I have owned. I just spent a lot of money on gizmo's for my iPhone X. I wish I hadn't right now.

Yep, I bought the Osmo mobile, moment lenses... actually have gotten some use out of them... and the Moondog labs anamorphic adapter. It's a bother carrying everything... so I don't. It's all too fiddly. This sounds like a better solution. 

Yeah just having to re balance your camera, phone every damn time you use it is a total pain in the ass. Having to have a bag of add on's suck also. This is a damn good solution. I just use my Apple Watch to talk, answer calls, check messages, etc., and ask Siri stuff. Piss on even having a phone anymore. Now if you gab on one for hours, yeah the battery life on the Watch isn't going to cut it for that.

12 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

This absolutely kills smartphone gimbals if you ask me....

599058618_ClipboardImage(224).thumb.jpg.cd4e61d3ce9c48ba4aba9a909c9c8cda.jpg

A typical smartphone weighs 180g. The Osmo pocket weighs 120g in total and the camera module that you are stabilizing, probably around 30g.

The thing is that you always carry your mobile phone. It isn't between this and that.

My NX500 with the 16-50pz/10/16/20/30mm NX pancake is already very small and the image quality is a lot better that what the small sensor can offer, plus 28mgpxls APS.

Getting an Osmo for a little bit better image quality in video than the S9+/G6 I am using, or the NX3000/NX500, and a small phone gimbal that I may, may not use? It is a very hard sell, and I am buying a lot of gadgets per year, but I do not see many people have an additional device on them at all times, and hobbyists have more capable and very mobile tools already.

It is a good device, just I can't see the point when all the companies invest in camera phones (vast amounts of investment by Colossal corporations, including Apple, Samsung, Sony, Huawei, Lenovo/Motorola e.t.c) and they already have a simiar performance.

82% of US kids have iPhones? That is not the case in Europe, and as I can see from my nieces, Android dominates in small ages (something like a 98% probably!), and even in US, they would rather stretch their budget for an iPhone, that any other additional pocket device.

19 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

It would be so great if when plugging your phone onto it, you could use the 3.5mm socket as a mic input and record from an external mic onto the video file.

EDIT: I noticed in DJI's site that they have a microphone input accessory.

@DaveAltizer Are you able to share any SOOC files? 

Great question...I am thinking of getting one of those USB-C to 3.5mm and USB ports that enable you to use the headphone jack AND still charge it. Would be an interesting test....however, two hours of battery life is pretty dang good and haven't ever had a problem with it dying on us on a shoot.

Yes I can share some footage. If more people want to see it I can do a dropbox link

1 hour ago, DaveAltizer said:

Honestly, I have been really surprised with it. I really like the Osmo Pocket. It think we will be using it a lot on our channel!

Let me know if you have any questions...respond to this post and ill try to answer them all....

Can you turn the sharpness down in the "pro" mode?