DJI Announcing Something New On The 28th

DBounce

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
40 minutes ago, Alex Uzan said:

I’m buying it ?

It’s exactly what I was waiting for light travel, and when I go out with friends.

I already ordered it. I've been looking for something that I can just throw in a pocket to always have around. Love that it's stabilized. The footage looks much better than a smartphone to my eyes.  Also browns the GoPro away for image quality imo. 

Would love to see something like this with an anamorphic lens built in. 

It looks solid but I'll wait for the first independent reviews... I always have my doubts about these release date "review" videos... Can these vlogers really be impartial when they have a special relation with a brand which sends them the product in advance? Obviously these day one reviews generate a lot of traffic (and thus revenues). What about the issues and flaws, are they going to talk about it and risk their lucrative partnership on the next major product release?

Can you turn the sharpness down? It is extremely over sharpened, like the original mavic pro. I noticed in 2 peoples videos that the face tracking was working for the gimbal head, but not focus sometimes. I wonder if it doesn't have enough processing power to do it perfectly? With a tiny xy mic and an nd filter, it could be pretty cool for quick shots when you don't want to draw attention or setup a big rig. Too bad they didn't make one with the rx100 sensor, maybe in the future. 

At $350, this seems like a perfect combination of affordability and performance.

If the cost was no objection, they've could've pushed the optics out of the smartphone territory by either giving it a bit of zoom or a very large, adjustable aperture for some shallow DOF (as shallow as one can really get with a small sensor like this). However, a larger camera module would also mean a larger gimbal and this would fit in a pocket no more.

It's actually created a new line of cameras: Tiny Travel Vlog Camera. And it seems to have so many features. I hope I find one or 2 around the $349 advertised price around here.

I hope the CameraSize comparison site has this. Would love to compare it with more cameras. I am sure this is like 1/2 or even 1/3rd the size of many Vlogging Cameras.

P.S.: I noticed this from the DJI site:

"Notes:
1. Tested without a connection to a phone or accessories.
2. Panoramas must be viewed on the DJI Mimo App.
3. Story mode and D-Cinelike video will be available soon in a future app update."

I guess the quality of the video including the Dynamic Range should go up with the D-Cineline update. I saw minor focus jumps in a few of the videos. I hope they fix the minor glitches with focus too with firmware. 

5 hours ago, Snowbro said:

Can you turn the sharpness down? It is extremely over sharpened, like the original mavic pro. I noticed in 2 peoples videos that the face tracking was working for the gimbal head, but not focus sometimes. I wonder if it doesn't have enough processing power to do it perfectly? With a tiny xy mic and an nd filter, it could be pretty cool for quick shots when you don't want to draw attention or setup a big rig. Too bad they didn't make one with the rx100 sensor, maybe in the future. 

If you go back a page you will see Tom's Tech Time's video. He suggests (doesnt make it a 100% clear) that there is no control over sharpening, noise reduction etc (even in pro mode) and as you point out the footage is oversharpened. 

350 is too much for teenagers, while they have pretty capable cameras in their similarly priced - or cheaper, phones.

It is easier and more convenient to spend an extra 50-80€ to buy a dedicated gimbal, that can use with every phone, and for the limited times that would be needed.

The market is the grown ups.

56 minutes ago, Yehouda said:

The image quality and stabilization are very good for the price but the sound is not so good. The internal microphone produce a very hissing sound on the sibilant. I hope there will be a possibility to connect a lavalier. Face tracking is great!

I read somewhere, or heard it on a video that there is some way to hook up an external microphone. Maybe Bluetooth? I don't see any specific hardware thing other than the Bluetooth.

Pre-ordered one, but canceled it after watching a bunch of test footage:

• Can't turn off digital over sharpening?
  • Terrible autofocus, maybe update can fix it but idk
  • Internal battery
  • Not weather resistant without huge case
  • Need to buy $100 "expansion kit" to get full use of it. That's not including the 35mm mic jack adapter which will probably be $60. No thread to mount on tripod etc. without accessories. You will probably spend $500. 
  • Cell phone footage on phones like the Iphone XS with their 4k HDR video look a ton better, I bet many android phones will do that in 2019. 

Yeah, but most shots with new phones coming out that have OIS + good digital IS are getting damn good. The hero 7 hypersmooth is where its going, it will eventually get better in low light. They have the resolution to sacrifice with 4k. If you are running and walking like an ogre, then yes, a gimbal will always be much better, but normal shots are fine. 

They should have made this with a 1" sensor

11 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Nah, Smartphone imagine stabilization is never going to look as good as a Gimbal can. Yeah it is limited, but when it can be used it is better than a Phone I think.

The dilemma here is whether to buy a smartphone gimbal or this. Since most flagships (will) feature more focal lengths and can do 4K60p on the main sensor at least, this pocket cam could be too expensive for these customers.

6 minutes ago, JurijTurnsek said:

The dilemma here is whether to buy a smartphone gimbal or this. Since most flagships (will) feature more focal lengths and can do 4K60p on the main sensor at least, this pocket cam could be too expensive for these customers.

I just bought the Stedicam Volt for my iPhone X. It is pretty good for the money. 79 bucks. But it is no way as convenient as this DJI thing. And the Volt has a hell of a learning curve. The Osmo Pocket looks easy as heck to use, small and as good of a output. You can just give this to your kid and it works. That is pretty cool when you think about it.