DJI Announcing Something New On The 28th

DBounce

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 minutes ago, sanveer said:

@DBounce maybe DJI actually makes the World's BEST Vlogging Camera that's terribly inconspicuous, has superb stabilisation, good sound, good dynamic range, reasonably long battery life; and does equality good video and photos.

What is crazy we are not too far away form that probably happening. Maybe this is it. We will know soon enough. Drones and Smartphones are advancing at a incredible rate compared to normal Video Cameras.

The DJI Osmo Pocket has been a serious surprise to me. At first glance, this thing really looks like a consumer product…but honestly, it shares the image quality we have come to know and love of the higher end Mavic Pro’s!

The field of view is just right…wide enough..but not fisheye like a GoPro. The D-Cinelike grades beautifully and 4K at 60fps is wonderful.

Using the device with a mobile phone is really the best way to get all the features, but if you want to go light and small just use the tiny built in display!

I was seriously surprised with how good the image was on the DJI Osmo Pocket…and for me, I would rather have one than a GoPro.

Here is our official video review:

The Osmo is smoother and image looks a little better than the Hero7, but is it a waterproof crash cam? That's the main reason I use a GoPro in any production. Seems like a solution looking for a problem given the volume of action cams sold in the last 5 or 6 years. Plus a phone/action cam gimbal is cheaper and the Osmo IQ doesn't look any better than most current 4k phones. I guess if you don't have a GoPro or a phone and need stabilized video this makes sense, otherwise there are other options that don't require yet another device.

Maybe I'm too cynical and just going into device overload now that I'm carrying the Sony's for stills/video, a gimbal for the a73, my iPhone XSmax, a Osmo phone gimbal, a GoPro, a 360 camera, and a Phantom 4 for productions depending on the needs of the day.

Chris

It seems like the perfect companion for some zero fuss hiking or travelling videos. At $350 is a lot more cheaper/disposable than any flagship phone (non-flagships can't do 4K60p yet) and you don't need to balance a camera device on a gimbal etc. As with any video making device, you just need to be honest with yourself about how much you would really use it. I don't really see it benefiting any PRO jobs though - unless drones and action cams made small sensors good enough in the eyes of customers?

1 hour ago, DaveAltizer said:

The DJI Osmo Pocket has been a serious surprise to me. At first glance, this thing really looks like a consumer product…but honestly, it shares the image quality we have come to know and love of the higher end Mavic Pro’s!

The field of view is just right…wide enough..but not fisheye like a GoPro. The D-Cinelike grades beautifully and 4K at 60fps is wonderful.

Using the device with a mobile phone is really the best way to get all the features, but if you want to go light and small just use the tiny built in display!

I was seriously surprised with how good the image was on the DJI Osmo Pocket…and for me, I would rather have one than a GoPro.

Here is our official video review:

The stabilisation, colours and the frame in general looked better on the Osmo (no strange fisheye and vignetting). Though it needs to fix the 4k 24p with a firmware update and also the sound on the mics needs to improve on the Osmo.

I am also guessing that the waterproof features on the Osmo could be fixed with a few accessories. Hopefully they don't price the accessories too high.

It seems to be a great camera. It has the Mavic 2's camera with all the bells and whistles at a fraction of the cost (it doesn't have the 2x zoom, but it costs a lot less).

I forgot to mention. WAY BETTER battery life on the Osmo. 

If it would have had an optical zoom I would have been more interested.

I've learned the hard way that gadgets like this aren't really right for me. There's the initial excitement and the feeling that 'this is going to change the way I work!' then I use it a few times and realise that in most cases I prefer a more conventional image from a bigger camera. And then I never use it again, maybe for a special job very occasionally.

It could be a useful tool in very specific circumstances, and I bet we'll see loads of videos from it on YouTube for the  next couple of weeks, but in 3 months everyone will have moved onto the next thing. Similar to the Gopro 7 hyperlapse, and the Insta 360 which came out lately.

Don't mean to sound jaded but I've been burned out by the endless stream of consumerism lately with each new toy being sold as a transformational creative tool, when really they're playing to our desire for shiny new things, and that illusive special gadget that's going to make me into the next Casey Neistat or Martin Scorsese.

3 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Maybe I'm too cynical and just going into device overload now that I'm carrying the Sony's for stills/video, a gimbal for the a73, my iPhone XSmax, a Osmo phone gimbal, a GoPro, a 360 camera, and a Phantom 4 for productions depending on the needs of the day.

I sympathise about device overload.  While I don't carry that many devices, I certainly own that many through past upgrades and whatnot.  Unfortunately these days it seems that we buy new gear when the new device adds one extra feature to the existing products with their dozens of features.

I dont think this product is aimed at the majority of people on this forum but I think it looks really good for its target market - hobbyists who are allergic to normal gimbals and are looking for something unobtrusive and pocketable. I think it largely addresses a different market to the GoPro Hero 7.

The size (arguably too small) does seem something of a breakthrough. Imagine a slightly bigger 'pro' version with the Mavic 2 1 inch sensor or the X7 with removable lenses.