Sony A7R IV / A7S III / A9 II to feature 8K video, as new 60MP and 36MP full frame sensor specs leak

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

They're not shooting the Olympics on a A7Siii! 

How do you know what it is even going to be?? Sony as of now has No 8K camera other than the old F65 sensor, even the Venice is not one. So they are not going to let Sharp and others out do them.  They Have to come out with something.

https://nofilmschool.com/Sony-8K-Sensor-Rumors

On 7/20/2019 at 5:15 AM, DBounce said:

I heard Canon’s profits are down some 40%... and before anyone gets too excited, I also heard Sony’s profit was down over 70%. I think the only camera manufacturer that is seeing an slight increase is Fuji. 

This leads me to believe we might actually see something pretty great released by Canon in 2019-2020. Though this new A7R4 being released, while seemingly skipping the A7S3 is a complete mystery from Sony.

Not in the camera market. Canon revenues are down, as are most other manufacturers. Canon are staying about even on unit sales, but most of those are low end low margin, so it is likely that they are not making much money from cameras right now. Sony is the only manufacturer that has seen significant increases on revenue, although the number of units they have shipped has fallen somewhat. That means that they are primarily selling high value high margin products in the current market, which would translate into increased profit in the camera segment. 

4 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

They're not shooting the Olympics on a A7Siii! 

But they will be with the a9II.

8 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

How do you know what it is even going to be?? Sony as of now has No 8K camera other than the old F65 sensor, even the Venice is not one. So they are not going to let Sharp and others out do them.  They Have to come out with something.

I imagine they'll come up with a higher level camera over a small mirrorless hybrid to film the Olympics.

On 7/21/2019 at 4:53 PM, newfoundmass said:

Skip needing to defend the Z6 even when no one is really attacking it sure is something. 

My comparison comment about the Z6 was questioning what you get with the A7R IV that's an upgrade over the Z6.  I don't have the S1 so I don't have a reference point. 

The responses back seem lacking in value and none of them would make me jump back to Sony.  It wasn't meant to be defending but given my previous comments I know where you're coming from. Lol.

Here's some Z6 footage.  This wasn't a gathering that lent itself to filming but I wanted to test s few settings.  I was also trying to move around more then usual to see how the AF tracking would work and IBIS.  

How do the colors look and come across on everyones monitors? I have a couple of 27 in IPS screens and a Wacom Cintiq 21. The Wacom Cintiq 21 either has perfect color or the two 27 in monitors are correct. 

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:43 PM, webrunner5 said:

Sport events are filmed using broadcast cameras and not cinema cameras.
Sony has already a 8K broadcast camera and workflow: https://pro.sony/en_FI/products/4k-and-hd-camera-systems/uhc-8300

5 hours ago, gt3rs said:

Sport events are filmed using broadcast cameras and not cinema cameras.
Sony has already a 8K broadcast camera and workflow: https://pro.sony/en_FI/products/4k-and-hd-camera-systems/uhc-8300

You are telling me in this day and age that there could be No footage using a Mirrorless camera added to the mix in this present time? That every camera has to be some big clunky camera. Yeah 4 years ago at the summer Olympics I might believe that, but this one, that might not be the case. Sure the main feeds will be big clunky cameras but all of it, doubtful. I would not be surprised the little Sharp 8K camera will be running around capturing stuff you really can't get with a ENG camera stuck in your face. Maybe even a 8K Sony A9 mk II or hell the A7s mk III for all we know doing some of it also.

And that camera was announced nearly 2 years ago. Probably developed over 3 years ago. That is a Long time ago in this day and age. They probably have an even newer version out by now. But who  knows. We will find out in a year that is for sure..

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

You are telling me in this day and age that there could be No footage using a Mirrorless camera added to the mix in this present time? That every camera has to be some big clunky camera. Yeah 4 years ago at the summer Olympics I might believe that, but this one, that might not be the case. Sure the main feeds will be big clunky cameras but all of it, doubtful. I would not be surprised the little Sharp 8K camera will be running around capturing stuff you really can't get with a ENG camera stuck in your face. Maybe even a 8K Sony A9 mk II or hell the A7s mk III for all we know doing some of it also.

And that camera was announced nearly 2 years ago. Probably developed over 3 years ago. That is a Long time ago in this day and age. They probably have an even newer version out by now. But who  knows. We will find out in a year that is for sure..

Why you would use an 8k mirrorless for what? Bts, Non live interview? Or you want to use such camera for live broadcasting of olympics?

To note that almost nobody get video rights especially for live parts. 

So why would sony invest in building a 8k smirrorles for olympics? A top successor of the A9 has more potential but for the still parts  

I personally would love to see 4k 120 or at least 96\100. Could not care less about 8k. I guess its more of a marketing feature than a practical one if they even going to implement it. But as I see it A7S3 doesnt need 8k to sell well. All they need is 4k60 with 10 bit. If they have higher frame rates and global shutter or electronic ND that would be much more important for videographers who are an actual target group for this camera. Not some tourists coming to Olympics to shoot a home video for their non-existent 8k TVs. 

8k has place for a very specific narrow workflow, but most ppl dont need it. 

6k is a fine compromise though, Sony might go for it. 

17 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

Why you would use an 8k mirrorless for what? Bts, Non live interview? Or you want to use such camera for live broadcasting of olympics?

To note that almost nobody get video rights especially for live parts. 

So why would sony invest in building a 8k smirrorles for olympics? A top successor of the A9 has more potential but for the still parts  

I am talking the Broadcast people using the Sharp. Not Bob down the street. And all the big boys will probably have 8K cameras at the Olympics, even little 8K cameras. That is what sells cameras to people. If you see reporters using the smaller stuff people will run out and buy it. They are not going to run out and buy a Sony just because they are shooting the stuff with a ENG camera with a Box 96x lens on it.  And Japan has been broadcasting some 8K stuff for awhile. 8K TVs are available there, have been.

All these company have to make something happen, they are all losing customers faster than they could have ever imagined a few years ago. They have to get people to buy the latest tech.

8 minutes ago, Amazeballs said:

I personally would love to see 4k 120 or at least 96\100. Could not care less about 8k. I guess its more of a marketing feature than a practical one if they even going to implement it. But as I see it A7S3 doesnt need 8k to sell well. All they need is 4k60 with 10 bit. If they have higher frame rates and global shutter or electronic ND that would be much more important for videographers who are an actual target group for this camera. Not some tourists coming to Olympics to shoot a home video for their non-existent 8k TVs. 

8k has place for a very specific narrow workflow, but most ppl dont need it. 

6k is a fine compromise though, Sony might go for it. 

Where do you live in Outer Mongolia? I can go down to Best Buy right now and buy a 8k TV. Well I Could afford to buy a Few models lol.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tvs/8k-tvs/pcmcat1552503373763.c?id=pcmcat1552503373763

3 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I am talking the Broadcast people using the Sharp. Not Bob down the street. And all the big boys will probably have 8K cameras at the Olympics, even little 8K cameras. That is what sells cameras to people. If you see reporters using the smaller stuff people will run out and buy it. They are not going to run out and buy a Sony just because they are shooting the stuff with a ENG camera with a Box 96x lens on it.  And Japan has been broadcasting some 8K stuff for awhile. 8K TVs are available there, have been.

All these company have to make something happen, they are all losing customers faster than they could have ever imagined a few years ago. They have to get people to buy the latest tech.

You dont need full frame mirrorless to do it. Get a cheaper 1 inch camcoder that has a proud 8K steaker on it and sell those. Too much trouble to cool a FF sensor. Panasonic can do it on m43. Sony on FF? Highly doubt it. 

6 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Where do you live in Outer Mongolia? I can go down to Best Buy right now and buy a 8k TV.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tvs/8k-tvs/pcmcat1552503373763.c?id=pcmcat1552503373763

You can technically buy, but are you going to? Almost none have it cos there is no point. You want see those 8k pixels from your couch anyway.