Sony A7R IV / A7S III / A9 II to feature 8K video, as new 60MP and 36MP full frame sensor specs leak

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 7/16/2019 at 10:39 AM, ryne275 said:

Seriously, where the fuck is the A7s III? What is taking Sony sooooo long? Heat management? Sony currently has NO mirrorless camera on the market today that can do 4K/60. Sad. 

The A7S-III is already here. It has;

Sony BSI Exmor full frame sensor (highly likely)

10bit color sampling, internal and HDMI.

4:2:2 150mbp/s 4k internal.

6k full pixel readout (6k to 4k oversampling)

4k 60p in "Hollywood cine" super35 sensor size.

Full size HDMI port.

No recording limit in 4k 30p

No overheating whatsoever.

14+ stops of VLog

Wave form scopes.

LUT support

Fantastic color science.

4k raw over HDMI is on the way.

See?...the A7S-III is here today! But its Panasonic that made it, not Sony. Its called S1.

Cliff, good points here for video shooters on the actual hybrid panorama, Sony related too, not only Panasonic.

Funny he didn't even mention the most recent Nikons, I guess for the same reason already pointed out countless times... lack of 4K/60p ; -)

21 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Cliff, good points here for video shooters on the actual hybrid panorama, Sony related too, not only Panasonic.

Funny he didn't even mention the most recent Nikons, I guess for the same reason already pointed out countless times... lack of 4K/60p ; -)

The S1H looks like a beast of a camera. It is also $4,000 and the Nikon Z6 is not $4,000. 

This video mentions the A7III as a camera on the market but we all know that is not a camera that's leading the market for video in any way, at all.

The Nikon Z6 could get 4K/60p with an update like the S1 so you never know.

Again for $4,000 you're in cine camera money and cine cameras don't over heat like the S1H is said to do from Panasonic.  

Not sure why you're taking digs at Nikon.

For me the easiest way and with best results to color correct and grade Sony S-Log  is to use ACES color space in Davinci Resolve. You set the correct imput and output for the project or just selected clips and it does the transformation from S-Log to REC709 for you. And it does it well. 

Should work with HLG BT2020 color profiles as well. But  didn't test it. 

6 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

You are probably Color Blind so it doesn't really matter does it.

You are so blind you could not see a joke even when it hits you. I actually shoot with a Sony but could not live with the A7S II more than few weeks because of its color. Switched to an A7R III which you say its a bad video camera... Go check your vision man!

6 hours ago, Skip77 said:

The S1H looks like a beast of a camera. It is also $4,000 and the Nikon Z6 is not $4,000. 

This video mentions the A7III as a camera on the market but we all know that is not a camera that's leading the market for video in any way, at all.

The Nikon Z6 could get 4K/60p with an update like the S1 so you never know.

Again for $4,000 you're in cine camera money and cine cameras don't over heat like the S1H is said to do from Panasonic.  

Not sure why you're taking digs at Nikon.

I guess the S1H is in the Z7 range as much as S1 goes to Z6.

Nothing against the brand. I am a convicted Nikkorist, one of my first loves was a Nikon F3, the beginning of my collection and still in my hands, one day for my heirs : D but no less brand agnostic and picture lover.

4K / 60p is such a tremendous of a feature! (E : -)

If that would occur, it would put Z6 at some other level indeed, I'd really hope so!

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

This was my FS5, which unless I'm shooting HLG I hate the color it pushes out.   What do you mean CS? 

See, even the big Sony fanboy admits it.

You don't even have to try to make Sony's colour look bad.

It just is bad.

It made me laugh on the other thread, when a guy said I must have tried really hard to make her look that bad... When that was how the RAW looked straight after I opened it.

5 hours ago, Emanuel said:

I guess the S1H is in the Z7 range as much as S1 goes to Z6.

Nothing against the brand. I am a convicted Nikkorist, one of my first loves was a Nikon F3, the beginning of my collection and still in my hands, one day for my heirs : D but no less brand agnostic and picture lover.

4K / 60p is such a tremendous of a feature! (E : -)

If that would occur, it would put Z6 at some other level indeed, I'd really hope so!

Correct -

Te Z7 is in the S1R range not the S1H range.  How could that be a possibility? The Z7 body goes for $2,996 and the S1H is $4,000 and $5,600 when you smack a lens on it.

We're not comparing the same thing here anymore. The Z7 and S1H are not in the same range because they are targeted to very different consumers. The S1H, as of now, has no Nikon counterpart.

S1 = A7III, Z6, EOS R (but is vastly superior to all of those IMO, so is really playing in a field by itself).

S1r = A7rIV, Nikon Z7. No Canon equivalent yet, but seemingly soon. 

S1H = A7sIII (if it is ever released). No Nikon and Canon equivalent. 

The S1H, when released, will really be one of a kind. It sits somewhere between the best mirrorless video cameras (S1, XT3) and the smaller cinema cameras (EVA-1, C200). Depending on what it has inside (things like raw or NDs), will dictate how much closer it is to a really inexpensive cinema camera or a more expensive mirrorless camera.

From the looks of it, it looks like Panasonic is going for a (relatively) inexpensive cinema camera. 

56 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

Correct -

Te Z7 is in the S1R range not the S1H range.  How could that be a possibility? The Z7 body goes for $2,996 and the S1H is $4,000 and $5,600 when you smack a lens on it.

S1H can't be anything, it doesn't exist yet : D MSRP is not street price. $500 more when Z7 was announced.

Thus, you only pay $500 more for internal 6K 24p / 5.9K 30p + 4K DCI & UHD 4:2:2 10-bit 60p FF and you even complain? LOL

: -)

13 hours ago, Cliff Totten said:

The A7S-III is already here. It has;

Sony BSI Exmor full frame sensor (highly likely)

10bit color sampling, internal and HDMI.

4:2:2 150mbp/s 4k internal.

6k full pixel readout (6k to 4k oversampling)

4k 60p in "Hollywood cine" super35 sensor size.

Full size HDMI port.

No recording limit in 4k 30p

No overheating whatsoever.

14+ stops of VLog

Wave form scopes.

LUT support

Fantastic color science.

4k raw over HDMI is on the way.

See?...the A7S-III is here today! But its Panasonic that made it, not Sony. Its called S1.

So true. If Sony lays an egg with the a7s3 I’m picking up a S1. If the s3 really drops with a quad bayer sensor and competitive video specs that’s another story. But I don’t believe Sony will ever spec a hybrid body like the S1, that treads too far into FS5 territory. As long as people keep gobbling up 8-bit bodies, Sony will keep producing them. Look at how long it took them to drop AVCHD or unlock true uncompressed raw stills.

IMO, like every Sony release, they will wow with a new sensor and show off the amazing AF because that’s what will get them tons of coverage and blogger love from the shills. But the crowd here will be disappointed by the gotchas. I’d love to be wrong, but I’m keeping expectations low.

chris

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

IMO, like every Sony release, they will wow with a new sensor and show off the amazing AF because that’s what will get them tons of coverage and blogger love from the shills. But the crowd here will be disappointed by the gotchas. I’d love to be wrong, but I’m keeping expectations low.

Hopefully it won't be another $3500 camera without even 10bit in 2019.

5 hours ago, Emanuel said:

S1H can't be anything, it doesn't exist yet : D MSRP is not street price. $500 more when Z7 was announced.

Thus, you only pay $500 more for internal 6K 24p / 5.9K 30p + 4K DCI & UHD 4:2:2 10-bit 60p FF and you even complain? LOL

: -)

Nice trolling on your part. 

You don't know the price of the S1H right now. The Z7 was never built as a cine level camera. 

The S1H is roughly $4,000 and could be higher. The S1R is $3,700 so do the math.

The full frame readout Z6 with 12 bit RAW video at $1,700 or the S1H at $4,000. Again do the math and compare the two in cine money.  

I'm not building my camera rig based on the S1H and 4K 60fps ( most likely having a crop).

5 hours ago, currensheldon said:

S1 = A7III, Z6, EOS R (but is vastly superior to all of those IMO, so is really playing in a field by itself).

Did you say the EOS R is vastly superior?