Sony A7R IV / A7S III / A9 II to feature 8K video, as new 60MP and 36MP full frame sensor specs leak

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, Skip77 said:

You seem to push Sony for photography but you called that out as the shits and that no one does that. That the EOSHD was for videographers. It's ok I'm just trying to remember your comments about photography and say the Nikon Z6. 

CS in photography is mega important in everyones book. Sony is good or great at PR and you seem to have jump in all the way. PR is great and other companies are lacking at it but Sony PR has become paying YouTube influencers to promote half truths while flat out lying about Nikon and Canon so Joe public sways his opinion just based on a talking Sony You Tube review. 

Sony pushed it's gamma and curves way up past the point of colors being unbalanced all for the purpose of controlling low light and de-noising it's image. 

Doesn't silent shutter introduce rolling shutter for photography? 

Video AF tracking works great on Canon and Nikon and EYE AF for video is another gimmick. Are you telling me your focus when using video is so locked on that we need EYE AF for video? C'mon.  

AF video tracking has been solid for a while except for the GH5.  

This.

If the new stuff is a joke CS wise then why are you tying your horse to Sony? 

Pretty much because Sony innovates and the rest sit on their ass and copy them. Nikon was just about on their death bed, may still be, before they decided to finally dump DSLR's for the Twenty First Century Tech.  You have tied your wagon to a dying horse. Why would you buy a Z6 for Photography? You might as well go m4/3 if you want that kind of MP count. Hell of a lot more convenient. That is a reason the Panny GH5, EM1 mk II is so popular.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Honestly, as a M43 user, the Nikon appeals to me more than the A7iii overall. I prefer the color straight out of camera on the Nikon, and should they really add RAW out via HDMI that's more innovative than anything Sony has done in a long while. 

The tech gap between Sony and everyone else in the full frame market has narrowed significantly. I don't think they really lead in innovation anymore; that honor I think goes to Panasonic at this point.

Sony hit a home run with the A7iii, but that also had as much to do with price than anything. 

22 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Pretty much because Sony innovates and the rest sit on their ass and copy them. Nikon was just about on their death bed, may still be, before they decided to finally dump DSLR's for the Twenty First Century Tech.  You have tied your wagon to a dying horse. Why would you buy a Z6 for Photography? You might as well go m4/3 if you want that kind of MP count. Hell of a lot more convenient. That is a reason the Panny GH5, EM1 mk II is so popular.

Here's the info about the Z6 that you must not know or acknowledge:

- The Z6 has better CS then the GH5

- The Z6 has full frame sensor readout at 4K - 10 bit 

- The Z6 will do RAW Pro Res soon

- The Z6 had AF that actually works unlike the GH5

- The Z6 has EYE AF

- The Z6 has a ton of Nikon glass you can use and the same with cine glass you can rent.

I never said I bought the Z6 for photography.  

The Z6 actually destroys the GH5 for photography all the way around.  What m4/3 camera can touch the Z6 for video or photography? 

I am open to the P4K and S1 as other options for video and will wait and see. That means I'm not tied to Nikon unless I want to be. I do have the Z6 so I am in the game. Do you own a Sony A7 series camera? It's helps if you do because then we would understand why you defend bad CS from Sony.

Sony hit a home-run with the A7III because it was the right time behind the GH5 and before the P4K.  The same Nikon that you claim is dying is the ONE company that put out a full frame mirror-less camera with 4K full sensor read out with 10 bit. Not Sony, not Canon but Nikon. 

"That is a reason the Panny GH5, EM1 mk II is so popular." <<< These cameras aren't that popular in 2019. The market has changed and people are waiting and using what they have. 

47 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

The GH5, with its 4k 60p and much better stabilization. :)

When did hyperbolic nonsense pass from camera manufacturers to the actual camera users? These are cameras, not sports teams. Give it a rest with the "x destroys x!" stuff. 

It's not that at all except this is 2019 and if I'm putting $2 - 3 -4K on a camera I want to do my homework. 

If I had the money I would buy a pure cine camera because of the S1, S1H and Z6 RAW market. It's unsettled right now.

My Z6 has worked well and paid for itself already but I'm not one to invest in glass if I'm not sure of a system. I never ever thought I would own a Nikon camera for stills or video. 

Andrew proved Canon color science destroys Sony color science and if I has a Canon I would shout it out loud also. It really is a beautiful thing. Canon color science is also better then Nikon but Nikon holds the second spot in my opinion. 

Update:

My views on the P4K has changed for the better because of this message board and so has being open to other camera brands that I don't own. 

52 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

That's a spec.  Smartphones do 4K @ 60p. 

Full frame 4K 30fps ful sensor @ 10 bit - what m4/3 can do this? None because they aren't full frame. 

Yeah, that's a spec you can find going with several MFT camera models.

The hardest you'll try, you won't find any smartphone with such sensor size anyway ; )

And several of them from distinct manufacturers, not only one : P

Why bother to even mention? It is so obvious what Z6 cannot offer.

Hey, I guess we've already had this conversation before, no? Sounds a déjà vu feeling BTW : -)

Canon produces nicer colors than Sony, yes, but no newer camera really "destroys" any other newer camera. They're all capable of producing good video, even Sony. The major difference is personal preference and workflow. Which is the best tool for your type of work? 

@Mattias Burling has always had the right attitude, I think. He uses the Canon EOS R because it's the right tool for him and his work. Nothing more, nothing less. He's not going on about how it "destroys" this camera or that camera, because even if it were true it's not really relevant. What's good for you might not be good for me and features that are important to you might not be important to me. 

All of these cameras will still be able to produce "good enough" images 5 years from now, even as new cameras with better specs get released, just as there are people producing good videos today using old GH cameras or old Canon Rebel cameras. 

You ask what camera can touch the Z6? Pretty much all of them, honestly. And that's okay. 

58 minutes ago, Skip77 said:

That's a spec.  Smartphones do 4K @ 60p. 

Full frame 4K 30fps ful sensor @ 10 bit - what m4/3 can do this? None because they aren't full frame

Almost all of the things you praise about the Z6, including the sensor size, are "specs." ?

7 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

Canon produces nicer colors than Sony, yes, but no newer camera really "destroys" any other newer camera. They're all capable of producing good video, even Sony. The major difference is personal preference and workflow. Which is the best tool for your type of work? 

@Mattias Burling has always had the right attitude, I think. He uses the Canon EOS R because it's the right tool for him and his work. Nothing more, nothing less. He's not going on about how it "destroys" this camera or that camera, because even if it were true it's not really relevant. What's good for you might not be good for me and features that are important to you might not be important to me. 

All of these cameras will still be able to produce "good enough" images 5 years from now, even as new cameras with better specs get released, just as there are people producing good videos today using old GH cameras or old Canon Rebel cameras. 

You ask what camera can touch the Z6? Pretty much all of them, honestly. And that's okay. 

Almost all of the things you praise about the Z6, including the sensor size, are "specs." ?

The difference is the things a praise about the Z6 can be backed up in picture quality. 

These improvements over the A7III include:

- Better IBIS

- Better color science 

- Higher data rate for video which gives you more information

- Better 10 bit video that you can see with you eyes. No banding

- 12 Bit RAW is coming so check this on the list

- Better media card

- More future proof

Again this is 2019. You want invest in Sony A7III or the GH5 m 4/3 go ahead. I'm not. No way. Most others are on the fence also. 

Also - bad color is bad color no matter if it's stills or video.

25 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Yeah, that's a spec you can find going with several MFT camera models.

The hardest you'll try, you won't find any smartphone with such sensor size anyway ; )

And several of them from distinct manufacturers, not only one : P

Why bother to even mention? It is so obvious what Z6 cannot offer.

Hey, I guess we've already had this conversation before, no? Sounds a déjà vu feeling BTW : -)

Why are you bringing up smartphone sensor size compared to m 4/3 ? 

That's my point that m 4/3 is not full frame. M 4/3 can't do what full frame can do just like smartphone sensor can't do what m 4/3 can.

5 hours ago, nathlas said:

I can think only one.

Battle against upcoming Canon R Pro (high mp model)that  is rumored to have more than 60mp

Well if Canon adds decent dr, quad pixel AF and full frame 4K it will be a really short “battle”.

1 minute ago, DBounce said:

Well if Canon adds decent dr, quad pixel AF and full frame 4K it will be a really short battle.

A canon body with specs is definitely possible. It will just cost an arm and a leg. 1DXmkii isn't even FF 4K and its still $5500

12 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

I think I might go back to Film Convert Pro, I had it on Premiere Pro and it was pretty good. The official Slog 2 conversion luts from Sony are absolute booty trash I really don't like the color EOSHD gives off.. 

Prob use this for my Slog stuff and HLG 2 for quick turnaround. 

fc_1.1.1.jpg

Which Sony model do you have? And how do you find the CS?