Sony A7R IV / A7S III / A9 II to feature 8K video, as new 60MP and 36MP full frame sensor specs leak

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 6/13/2019 at 1:32 PM, androidlad said:

Sony's new line of professional imaging sensors, Exmor GS, has entered mass production:

9083f7cbly1g3zww9uug7j20go03wmwy.jpg.93672561046714473a1a3491ea52353d.jpg

This is a new additional to Sony Semicon's current sensor line-up for consumer/professional imaging:

Exmor R (Reverse/BSI)

Exmor RS (BSI + Stacking)

@androidlad what benefits from global shutter?

• eliminate jello?

• record at any fps?

• what's lowest ISO / does it eliminate need for ND filters?

• for stills, sync flash at any shutter speed.....central leaf shutter lenses no longer needed?

On 6/22/2019 at 4:12 PM, photographer-at-large said:

@androidlad what benefits from global shutter?

• eliminate jello?

• record at any fps?

• what's lowest ISO / does it eliminate need for ND filters?

• for stills, sync flash at any shutter speed.....central leaf shutter lenses no longer needed?

The primary reason for Sony to introduce global shutter to consumer digital stills cameras is to completely eliminate mechanical shutter (no shake).

• Administrators
On 6/24/2019 at 4:06 PM, androidlad said:

The primary reason for Sony to introduce global shutter to consumer digital stills cameras is to completely eliminate mechanical shutter (no shake).

LOL. Is that their priority?

I could understand that on a 100MP camera perhaps, but I sense that the Exmor GS is aimed at sports market / A9 II.

Priority benefits would be eliminating artefacts and LED banding in fast burst mode, and extending life of the camera for such work, which would wear down a mechanical shutter fast.

Also, without a mechanical shutter Sony can boast about their technology being fully 100% digital and not mechanical. Good for marketing.

I don't think they care much about shutter shake, which is practically non-existent on modern shutters anyway (see the damped springy quiet mechanical shutters in the X-H1 and Panasonic S1 for example), unless you are pixel peeping a 200 megapixel landscape shot?!

On 6/26/2019 at 3:07 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Having experience of Quad Bayer on smartphones, I think it works superbly for low light performance and wouldn't be surprised to see A7S III make use of it as well.

I hope someone does a MFT Quad Bayer sensor. If the A7S has and quad Bayer full frame sensor the thing will probably double as a night vision device. 

6 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

Don't the GH5S/P4K/Z Cam E2/Terra 4K sensor have a quad bayer MFT sensor?

Its uses the Sony IMX299CJK and it says Quad Bayer in the sheet but I'm pretty sure it doesn't use the same tricks as the high megapixel IMX586 type processors in the new phones. Maybe @androidlad can give details? I'm curious too.

Well good for them. Now they might want to put those sensors into actual freaking cameras so it can be good for us! 

Time has been long. A7SIII and A6700 are way overdue.

There is an event with new Sony camera announcement confirmed for July 17, let’s see.

Also on July 11 sigma will  announce some specific Sony FE lens including a 35mm 1.2 and a 14-24 2.8. Exciting.

6 hours ago, androidlad said:

Sony Semicon readies a whole new portfolio of sensors for consumer stills cameras:

15MP FF BSI
30MP FF BSI Stacked
48MP FF BSI Stacked
54MP FF BSI
25MP 4433 MF BSI
50MP 4433 MF BSI

Thank you ?

The new 4433 MF BSI sensors are a surprise....are they PDAF capable?

Is Hasselblad using in their just-announced X1Dii?

Will Fujifilm use?