Sony A7R IV / A7S III / A9 II to feature 8K video, as new 60MP and 36MP full frame sensor specs leak

Andrew Reid

5 hours ago, androidlad said:

XEVC codec lineup

This is almost more useful for guessing what the camera will be like than the sensor specs, IMO (assuming these are indeed the codecs in the SIII).

The max bitrate is clearly intended to work with U3 SD cards (which do a minimum 30MB/s continuous write, aka 240mbps). So Sony is probably shy to switch to a new media format, or even a more specific SD class/rating.

So no new media format, which doesn't necessarily mean the same third-gen body style, but it doesn't rule it out either.

They'll have to have dedicated processors that this codec is designed around: I would assume they'll be at a modern level of power/heat performance, which may also point to not needing a bigger body (while also not ruling it out).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

4K60p h.265 10 bit 240mbps would be perfect for me. FHD240p 10 bit h.265 also. 

If the A7SIII is an A7III with the above + Venice colors then it’s definitely worth $1000 over the A7III for me. 

Twice the price of the Fuji but you gain IBIS and Full Frame for video and stills. Perfect.

On 12/16/2018 at 12:51 AM, androidlad said:

XEVC codec lineup

XEVC.jpg

This new XEVC codec seems pretty amazing. It does 4k (3840) at 10-bit 4-2-2 at 100mbps which is the same bitrate the Sony A-Series does for 8-bit 4-2-0 internal (so this new Codec seems way more efficient than HEVC or anything else out that for compression). It also has 4k at 12-bit 4-4-4 at 240mbps (the BRAW 12:1 is around 215mbps or so I think, I had calculated it roughly from the 4.6k bitrate on the Ursa Mini Pro and done a rough estimation for the 4k based solely on frame size).

It suddenly looks like a codec face-off is in the offing. 

Yeah those codec bitrates look insanely efficient.. if true Sony is up to some serious number crunching... keeping their promise of "exceeding our customers expectations".

In any case, XEVC would probably be for the Cine line (XDCAM, Cine Alta) which btw use ultra fast XQDs & SxS media.

..and Alpha series would be getting  a lower XEVC-S codec right?

1 minute ago, forofilms said:

If you were Sony, would you unleash all of this tech in the next A7s? I don't think so...

I think they would, given that consumers in some areas are going to want to put up content on their 8K TVs, even if it's more of a gimmick. It'll also serve as a taste of what's to come for larger cameras. It might not have the fancy color science, but it'd be a perfect way to showcase the new codec.