Jump to content
mirekti

Slow Motion in Resolve - I must be missing something

Recommended Posts

On 11/23/2018 at 11:51 PM, kye said:

I hear you - it's like flying the space shuttle.

I think there are two paths you can take.  One is to do as @kaylee suggests and do a small project and search google and YT for the answers for every function.  If you learn best by doing then that's a good approach, but I think it's frustrating and you kind of miss out on the big picture about how Resolve works and how it's designed to be used.  My understanding is that the overall workflow is different to other packages.

The second one is to watch a thorough walk-through of the user interface so you can see how it's organised and what is available.  One of the key differences with Resolve is that there is so much stuff in there that is simply absent from PP / FCPX (especially in the Colour tab) and so if you only learn what tools you think you need you'll miss lots of the things that Resolve has that you didn't know existed.  If you're going to do this then find the longest and most thorough walk-through possible and just watch that.  There's nothing worse than watching a walk-through that isn't thorough and then having to watch another one where they repeat everything you just learned!

A couple of points:

  • Unlike almost every other piece of software on earth, the Resolve Manual is absolutely excellent and will answer most of your questions, so look there before asking the internet about something
  • The second place to look is the BM forums where someone might have asked the question before.  If you google then other sites pop up but mostly the people who actually know things are at the BM forums.
  • Use YT for learning what buttons do what and what features are available, but don't try and learn colour grading / fusion / audio mixing or mastering from YT folks - they are mostly amateur hacks who use the wrong tool in the wrong way at the wrong time.  If you go down this route then you will spend a lot of time unlearning their techniques later on.
  • If you want to hear from people who actually know about colour grading, then liftgammagain.com forums are the best (free) place I've found.  There are regular posters there who are polite and helpful who have been grading for decades and really know their stuff.
  • You can also ask here..  :)

Good luck - it's a long process but a worthwhile one IMHO.  Put on some music and attack it in bursts with good breaks :)

Hate to drag this thread OT, but thanks for the tips. I decided to move to Resolve a couple days ago and it’s been daunting. I’ll check out the manual, I haven’t bothered because most are completely useless. Thanks. 

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm progressing slowly but surely. My biggest issue that would prevent me from switching is multicam seems to be broken. Saw posts about it on the official black magic forum, so hopefully that gets fixed in a future patch soon! 

I'm working on a short right now and it's coming along pretty well. I just wish 4K played smoother without needing proxies. But I'm not ready to commit to the upgrade yet until I see multicam in action. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

I'm progressing slowly but surely. My biggest issue that would prevent me from switching is multicam seems to be broken. Saw posts about it on the official black magic forum, so hopefully that gets fixed in a future patch soon! 

I'm working on a short right now and it's coming along pretty well. I just wish 4K played smoother without needing proxies. But I'm not ready to commit to the upgrade yet until I see multicam in action. 

I'd imagine they'll fix that pretty quickly as it's a pretty major feature and I'd imagine lots of people use it.

Just out of curiosity, how do you use it?  I had a three-angle setup that I tried to edit once and I watched a few tutorials on it and I found it to be more fussing around than just putting the clips on individual tracks and cutting them up by hand.  I was cutting around people walking in the foreground though, and I've never cut video live before, so maybe those were the stumbling blocks?

Do you just hit go and then change angles live and then tweak a bit and render that out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kye said:

I'd imagine they'll fix that pretty quickly as it's a pretty major feature and I'd imagine lots of people use it.

Just out of curiosity, how do you use it?  I had a three-angle setup that I tried to edit once and I watched a few tutorials on it and I found it to be more fussing around than just putting the clips on individual tracks and cutting them up by hand.  I was cutting around people walking in the foreground though, and I've never cut video live before, so maybe those were the stumbling blocks?

Do you just hit go and then change angles live and then tweak a bit and render that out?

It really depends. For sports I usually treat it like I'm doing a live switch since that's how I started out 20 years ago. Then I'll go back and fine tune things. Pro wrestling for instance I can switch and edit in my sleep at this point. 

If I'm doing a speech, interview, or really anything else I usually go through it a little bit slower, much more similar to how I'd edit something normally. Precision, pacing, etc. is more important. Sports gives you leeway that other work doesn't always give you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

It really depends. For sports I usually treat it like I'm doing a live switch since that's how I started out 20 years ago. Then I'll go back and fine tune things. Pro wrestling for instance I can switch and edit in my sleep at this point. 

If I'm doing a speech, interview, or really anything else I usually go through it a little bit slower, much more similar to how I'd edit something normally. Precision, pacing, etc. is more important. Sports gives you leeway that other work doesn't always give you. 

Thanks - that's useful :)

I did a fake multi-cam of my wife giving a speech by digitally punching in to make the other two angles and I understand what you say about precision and pacing being really important.  I can't claim to be any good at it, but I did notice that when I tried a few different cuts on certain sections the message of what she was saying really got impacted, which was interesting to see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kye said:

Thanks - that's useful :)

I did a fake multi-cam of my wife giving a speech by digitally punching in to make the other two angles and I understand what you say about precision and pacing being really important.  I can't claim to be any good at it, but I did notice that when I tried a few different cuts on certain sections the message of what she was saying really got impacted, which was interesting to see. 

For projects like that the ability to highlight subtle looks, movements, facial expressions, etc. is important, so you really need to edit things more tightly. Lots of going back and forth to fine tune it so it's perfect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey gang. I’ve beeen a premiere pro user since 2014. It’s the only NLE I’ve used consistently. While I want to keep photoshop/Lightroom for film photography scanning, I can’t afford to pay $60 a month for creative cloud. I downloaded resolve last night and edited some clips and it seemed simple enough. My editing machine is a very dated 2012 MacBook Pro retina i7 with 8gb of ram. If I make premiere work with my a6500 footage I should have a similar experience in resolve I’d say?

As an unfamiliar resolve editor the main thing that attracts me is the price $0. What key differences are there between the two, and is there anything resolve is lacking? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Dustin

The list of key differences would fill pages. I'd suggest searching for a few "going from premier pro to resolve" videos on YouTube and see what you can find.

In terms of what's missing, I have no idea, but I've made dozens of short home videos with it (complete work flow within resolve) and I haven't found it lacking.

Welcome to the club!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Dustin

same here. 2 month into not touching premier, Pugh. I have found BASIC editing fairly easy to switch. The only thing I keep getting wrong is deleting clips (and their space) because in resolve it can eat up other clips and sound. There is delete and there is backspace. Other than that it's a breeze.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hansel said:

@Dustin

same here. 2 month into not touching premier, Pugh. I have found BASIC editing fairly easy to switch. The only thing I keep getting wrong is deleting clips (and their space) because in resolve it can eat up other clips and sound. There is delete and there is backspace. Other than that it's a breeze.

If you check on the left in your edit timeline, you can set for each track of video / audio if they will automatically move up when you delete something. I always directly deactivate that, I don't understand why it's on per default because I can't even count anymore how often I accidentally deleted video when I just wanted to delete the audio, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m definitely gonna try to shoot some video this holiday season and give resolve a run. I’m not cutting a major motion picture. I really just need a solid editor, with color grading/audio capability. Any composting or motion graphic ability is a plus too which resolve all has. I’ve heard that fairlight allows use of VST plugins which as an audio guy I have quite a few...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...