The Black Friday deal that I want this year is...

Jadesroom

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but isn't the EVA1 sort of  Sony FS5 competition? 

No. The EVA has a 10-bit 4K codec, which Sony makes you step up to the FS7 to get. The FS5 only offers 10-bit 1080p and 8-bit 4k.

I'd also pay more for the EVA color and dynamic range over an FS5. 

14 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

No. The EVA has a 10-bit 4K codec, which Sony makes you step up to the FS7 to get. The FS5 only offers 10-bit 1080p and 8-bit 4k.

I'd also pay more for the EVA color and dynamic range over an FS5. 

That is sort of why I kind of think this Panny S1, S1R thing may bomb. Panasonic does know how to do video, but they have had very little luck breaking into the higher end market. The Varicam 35, Varicam LT 4K is really great cameras, but heck probably a flop sales wise. Then there is the EVA1, AF100 versions, all great cameras, but not hot sellers either. They don't seem to be able to get any traction toward Sony, but then not many cameras really can. Canon's C line initial pricing has really hurt them sales wise.

They do have some good 1/2" ENG camera solutions over the years, and a lot of great smaller camcorders in years past, especially the P2 ones.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

That is sort of why I kind of think this Panny S1, S1R thing may bomb. Panasonic does know how to do video, but they have had very little luck breaking into the higher end market. The Varicam 35, Varicam LT 4K is really great cameras, but heck probably a flop sales wise.

With all due respect, you need to stop doing this thing where you go on long diatribes based on assumef information that isn't even true. The Varicam lines have been very popular sellers, especially the LT. Not FS7 or C300 monster-sales, but for episodic, spots, and doc, they're seeing plenty of professional use. Do your research before you make sweeping statements about sales figures or market popularity.

2 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

With all due respect, you need to stop doing this thing where you go on long diatribes based on assumef information that isn't even true. The Varicam lines have been very popular sellers, especially the LT. Not FS7 or C300 monster-sales, but for episodic, spots, and doc, they're seeing plenty of professional use. Do your research before you make sweeping statements about sales figures or market popularity.

Yeah right they are selling the hell out of them. Sure they are. Yeah I see them every where I go. I don't see them in even the rental houses here.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah right they are selling the hell out of them. Sure they are. Yeah I see them every where I go. I don't see them in even the rental houses here.

But I am sure in larger markets than I live in they are happily put to good use. So yeah you probably see more than I would. I am even seeing fewer and fewer Reds around here also. Some of these hybrids are probably putting out good enough output for less money intense jobs. I do know the new Sony FS7 mk II is one of the hot movers around here now on the lower end..

On 11/22/2018 at 8:10 AM, newfoundmass said:

I don't know that we'll see it go too much lower in price, at least not G7 low, for awhile. Probably not until they release a successor. Panasonic got a lot of praise for it but I actually don't think they got enough praise for how jam packed the G85 is. What a wonderful camera. 

I'm happy to wait for the G85 successor, hopefully will happen in the next 6 months 

19 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but isn't the EVA1 sort of  Sony FS5 competition? B&H has the FS5 for $4,248.00 so I don't see how the EVA1 can sell for much more than the FS5 to be honest.

And Sony probably sells 10x more FS5's than the EVA1 does. Although I think I would take the EVA1 over the FS5 output wise. I think the Variable ND is what sells the FS5.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1185424-REG/sony_pxw_fs5_xdcam_super_35.html

No.

The FS5 is similar to the EVA1 in size. 

But the EVA1 waaaay outdoes the FS5 in quality/specs in most areas.

19 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

This is a listing of all the cameras they rent, it is just one of the rental houses I go to often that are the same. They don't list Varicams, and don't have one in house. They are just not popular in this area. So I am not making this shit up like you imply. So maybe where you live they sell or rent like hotcakes. But not in this part of the Midwest. And they shoot a surprisingly amount of Movies, B footage here in the Cincinnati area. It is cheaper to do it here for one reason.

http://www.thecameradept.com/digital-cinema-cameras/

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

This is a listing of all the cameras they rent, it is just one of the rental houses I go to often that are the same. They don't list Varicams, and don't have one in house. They are just not popular in this area. So I am not making this shit up like you imply. So maybe where you live they sell or rent like hotcakes. But not in this part of the Midwest. And they shoot a surprisingly amount of Movies, B footage here in the Cincinnati area. It is cheaper to do it here for one reason.

That's an awfully small sample size to extrapolate the market viability of Panasonic's entire pro line worldwide.

3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Tbf they don't have the FS5 listed either? 

2 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

That's an awfully small sample size to extrapolate the market viability of Panasonic's entire pro line worldwide.

How do you know how I travel? I am retired. I can go Anyplace I want, when I want. And I do.

1 hour ago, AlexTrinder96 said:

You can buy a used FS5 for 2500 bucks or less now. Why would you rent one? They are as cheap as a new EOS-R. Someone on here found one for me for 2200 bucks a week ago.

1 hour ago, AlexTrinder96 said:

Not everyone wants to buy? The c300 can be bought for less than £2k but that's still for rent? Ah well lol.

Yeah without the LCD, and no DPAF. So yeah I can see why people still rent them. I am looking for one myself for that kind of money. I kind of like the LCD setup better than the C100 mk I has.

14 hours ago, AlexTrinder96 said:

Don't list UMP either. Don't have AMIRA. Lots of things they don't list. 

Varicam LT of course hasn't been selling like say a FS7 or Alexa Mini, but they've still found their niche! And I'm sure Panasonic has no regrets about it. 
I've got a friend who owns one. And NZ's biggest / longest running TV show is being shot with 3x Varicam S35, and lots of other shoots.

12 hours ago, AlexTrinder96 said:

Not everyone wants to buy? The c300 can be bought for less than £2k but that's still for rent? Ah well lol.

C300mk1 historically has been a more popular rental option than FS5, so no wonder producers/DP/directors would often feel more comfortable just renting  C300 yet again than experimenting with a FS5

On 11/22/2018 at 10:33 PM, Mark Romero 2 said:

Well... there are some black friday sales going around for courses on things like Resolve and other NLE / Grading software. So yeah, skills kind of ARE on sale.

Actually, the Black Friday sale on Filmsimplified.com is pretty good - 85% off on the Resolve training, and I've just bought it :)

It's designed for beginners so i'm not sure how much stuff I've worked out already, but it includes Fusion which I have no clue about, and Fairlight which I only have basic knowledge of, so that should be useful!

• Super Members
55 minutes ago, kye said:

Actually, the Black Friday sale on Filmsimplified.com is pretty good - 85% off on the Resolve training, and I've just bought it :)

Nce find.

If anyone is interested in a hardware controller for Resolve then Tachyon also have a 40% off sale running on their interface software to run with affordable MIDI controllers.

The Arturia Beatstep version is ideal for keeping the footprint small and the Akai APC40 version has a ton of direct access controls.

You have to source the controller yourself, the Arturia is roughly £75 and the Akai APC40 (which has to be the Mark I) is about £40 used.

With the current sale on the software, the total solution is about £135 for the Arturia and £100 for the Akai.

https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com/davinci-resolve-controllers/beatstep-resolve-edition/

This is a run through of it and at 06:00 there is a very cool feature to control curves.

On 11/24/2018 at 3:50 AM, IronFilm said:

Don't list UMP either. Don't have AMIRA. Lots of things they don't list. 

Varicam LT of course hasn't been selling like say a FS7 or Alexa Mini, but they've still found their niche! And I'm sure Panasonic has no regrets about it. 
I've got a friend who owns one. And NZ's biggest / longest running TV show is being shot with 3x Varicam S35, and lots of other shoots.

C300mk1 historically has been a more popular rental option than FS5, so no wonder producers/DP/directors would often feel more comfortable just renting  C300 yet again than experimenting with a FS5

If people wanted to rent them they would have them. Hard hard is that to envision. They are in the rental business. If they flew off the selves they would have 100's of them in stock. Times have changed. Better, probably mostly cheaper stuff, that is almost as good comes along to rent, and bam you can't give a certain camera away.

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Nce find.

If anyone is interested in a hardware controller for Resolve then Tachyon also have a 40% off sale running on their interface software to run with affordable MIDI controllers.

The Arturia Beatstep version is ideal for keeping the footprint small and the Akai APC40 version has a ton of direct access controls.

You have to source the controller yourself, the Arturia is roughly £75 and the Akai APC40 (which has to be the Mark I) is about £40 used.

With the current sale on the software, the total solution is about £135 for the Arturia and £100 for the Akai.

https://posttools.tachyon-consulting.com/davinci-resolve-controllers/beatstep-resolve-edition/

This is a run through of it and at 06:00 there is a very cool feature to control curves.

IOS Mac only, so that is a bummer.