good lavalier for gh5 interview

Aquilasfx

Hello,

I own a GH5, and a zoom H5 with directional mic, but I would like to improve the audio of my video interviews (sometimes taking audio straight on camera with my zoom, is a bit noisy).

Can you suggest me some cheap solutions (100/150€ max) for a good lavalier? Maybe XLR to use with my zoom?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Aquilasfx said:

Can you suggest me some cheap solutions (100/150€ max) for a good lavalier? Maybe XLR to use with my zoom?

With that budget then you can't buy a wireless lav. 

As the cheapest ultra low low budget wireless I'd strongly recommend is the Sony UWP-D11

And thus you'll have to go cabled..... which will really really suck. It will make everything more complicated and more risky, especially when dealing with non-actors. 

For myself I use an Aputure A.Lav with my Panasonic G6 for my quick and dirty YT vlogs, I'd suggest you go with something semi decent ish like that which is dirt cheap so you don't spend too much money on it and  you can save up faster for a couple of Sony UWP-D11 kits.

@ironfilm while that's true, if they're using a wired lav into a zoom, then you can leave the zoom with the talent. Depending on the model, they can put it in their pocket, or if sitting down, have it on the floor. That way, it's essentially the same as wireless - Although monitoring will be an issue.

If they film like that though, you could go with the Tascam DR10. Same setup, but with a smaller, pocketable recorder.

It would be "fantastic" if you didn't think everyone one here is going to buy a dedicated recording unit. You make a living, I think, doing Audio. Most people just want a cheap way to do it. Not one that cost more than the camera. So suggest the one that is cheap, not some high dollar wireless one.

Who even owns a Wireless setup on here that the company they work for didn't buy? At least  @Anaconda_ suggested a cheap way to go, as did I.

6 hours ago, Aquilasfx said:

Hello,

I own a GH5, and a zoom H5 with directional mic, but I would like to improve the audio of my video interviews (sometimes taking audio straight on camera with my zoom, is a bit noisy).

A lav is not the only solution. Simply moving your existing ZOOM  off the camera and placing it nr the sound source will make a substantial improvement to sound quality.  If the subject is static/seated you can put it on a stand under them just out of frame or get a boom pole and 'boom buddy ' and have it just above them out of frame. 

45 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

A lav is not the only solution. Simply moving your existing ZOOM  off the camera and placing it nr the sound source will make a substantial improvement to sound quality.  If the subject is static/seated you can put it on a stand under them just out of frame or get a boom pole and 'boom buddy ' and have it just above them out of frame. 

This, basically.

You haven't yet got the budget for a decent wireless system.  It's not worth getting a cheapo one.
I use the Rodelink, which has worked very well for me.

If you are using a camera mounted recorder for interviews, just about any kind of alternative is going to make a noticeable improvement.  Getting the mic closer to the subject (as detailed above) is the winning strategy.  I now use a boom buddy and an NTG2 (which I kind of want to upgrade, but is certainly reasonable - and close to your price range, btw), with the Rodelink relegated to backup most of the time.

30 minutes ago, Mmmbeats said:

This, basically.

You haven't yet got the budget for a decent wireless system.  It's not worth getting a cheapo one.
I use the Rodelink, which has worked very well for me.

If you are using a camera mounted recorder for interviews, just about any kind of alternative is going to make a noticeable improvement.  Getting the mic closer to the subject (as detailed above) is the winning strategy.  I now use a boom buddy and an NTG2 (which I kind of want to upgrade, but is certainly reasonable - and close to your price range, btw), with the Rodelink relegated to backup most of the time.

For an amateur in sound, the Rodelink will deliver better than an NTG2 9 out of 10.

Do you use a shotgun indoors? Why not a hyper cardioid? What mount? What basket? What boom? What position? E.t.c

With the Rodelink, you just put the lavalier on a reasonable position and you are done.

Sound pros have a variety of mics and accessories to do specific jobs.

2 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

For an amateur in sound, the Rodelink will deliver better than an NTG2 9 out of 10.

Do you use a shotgun indoors? Why not a hyper cardioid? What mount? What basket? What boom? What position? E.t.c

With the Rodelink, you just put the lavalier on a reasonable position and you are done.

I tend to agree. 

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

webrunner, it would be fantastic if you stopped linking to wolfcrow. 

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

The Rode is ok.

Wolfcrow isn't.

1 hour ago, Shirozina said:

[wolfcrow isn't] an audio expert

OK, I'll bite...

What are the reasons people are dismissive of wolfcrow?

He seems to me to know what he is talking about and has had (apparently) enough time with several different camera models to present opinions backed up by experience.

Maybe I am missing something that is obvious to everyone else? (Wouldn't be the firs time...)

52 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

That's not been my experience at all (and I am very much an amateur when it comes to sound!).  There's not much in it, but the directional nature of the mic vs the omnidirectional nature of the lav creates better separation of the subject from any background noise.  True the lav gets closer to the source, but I still hear the shotgun mic delivering better precision.

Also, clothing adds an unpredictable element to the recording with lavs if you want to hide them.  I can usually get good sound in the end but have to EQ back in the higher frequencies.

I boom over the top (slightly forward) of my interviewee, using a Rycote suspension mount.  No basket.

I'm aware of the phase cancellation problem with using shotgun mics indoors, but honestly, I've gotten perfectly fine results with it so far, and never noticed any degradation of the audio.  It's true that something I'm not noticing might be going on, but the point is - I'm happy with the results.

That said I have it in mind to upgrade my audio equipment, which lags far, far behind my camera and lighting (and editing) equipment, which shouldn't be the case at all really.

I own my own wireless lav, the Azden PRO-XD, which I purchased on sale from B&H two years ago for under $150. It was worth every penny, though I only use it when absolutely necessary and with a different lav than what came with it. 

For a lav mic I use the Polsen OLM-10, both into a Zoom H1 and straight into the camera. It has a 20 foot cord, which is nice when you need it. The bad news is that it was a 20 foot cord when you don't need it. ? But I think the sound is decent for the price, especially with little tweaks in post. It works wonderfully with my GH5 and G85. 

Most times though I'll just use a shotgun mic that is just out of frame and close to the subject. It usually provides nicer sound than lav mics, especially lower end ones. 

Hope this helps! 

4 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

if you didn't think everyone one here is going to buy a dedicated recording unit.

I didn't once in this thread suggest a dedicated audio recorder.

But you're right, it wouldn't be a bad idea...  ?

Not one that cost more than the camera.

Everything I suggested in the post is cheaper than his camera. 

And what is so wrong with spending more on audio than a camera body?

Many people seem to have a very imbalanced approach to filmmaking with misplaced priorities. 

So suggest the one that is cheap, not some high dollar wireless one.

G3 is the classic "no budget wireless". 
The UWP-D11 I mentioned is at the same price point. 
They are "cheap". They are very very much not "high dollar wireless".

Who even owns a Wireless setup on here that the company they work for didn't buy?

I know tonnes of indie filmmakers / youtubers / etc who own wireless kits. 
This should be no more unusual or surprising than people casually owning a 5D / GH5 / a7 / etc camera body. 

At least  @Anaconda_ suggested a cheap way to go, as did I.

I did mention one of the cheapest options (Aputure A.Lav) in this entire thread , but with the context that is should just be a stop gap measure on the way to buying a wireless kit.

4 hours ago, Shirozina said:

- an audio expert

Wolfcrow often doesn't even do a good job when sticking to cameras. 

Any wolfcrow link should come with an automatic red flag and a "reader beware" warning. (and 100x this if it is audio related!)

Is much worse than cinema5D