What Canon Rumors is up to

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

I asked Canon Rumors about the redirecting to EOSHD of his URLs.

Apparently we disrupted his little tie-up with Canon's PR department, when I jokingly asked people to join the EOS R give-away so we could give it to Magic Lantern to play with. Their PR people cancelled it ?

Or was I joking? I can't remember ;)

Anyway, he is trying to ban us from viewing the site now, by using a script on his server that detects if you have visited a Canon Rumors link on EOSHD, and redirecting that link back here. Along with a lot of fishy ad trackers on there which analyse your web browsing history and past purchases.

If you don't like this email him.

canonrumorsguy@gmail.com

I am sure he will come to his senses eventually, and maybe even give one of his EOS Rs to Magic Lantern ?

In the meantime if you want to link to a clickbait made-up Canon Rumors story from an EOSHD forum post, I'm not going to stop you, just use an URL shortener like Google's

This should bypass their blocking. Try going to this Canon Rumors article via my shortened link for instance: https://goo.gl/Krp6W5

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I asked Canon Rumors about the redirecting to EOSHD of his URLs.

Apparently we disrupted his little tie-up with Canon's PR department, when I jokingly asked people to join the EOS R give-away so we could give it to Magic Lantern to play with. Their PR people cancelled it ?

Or was I joking? I can't remember ;)

Anyway, he is trying to ban us from viewing the site now, by using a script on his server that detects if you have visited a Canon Rumors link on EOSHD, and redirecting that link back here. Along with a lot of fishy ad trackers on there which analyse your web browsing history and past purchases.

If you don't like this email him.

canonrumorsguy@gmail.com

I am sure he will come to his senses eventually, and maybe even give one of his EOS Rs to Magic Lantern ?

In the meantime if you want to link to a clickbait made-up Canon Rumors story from an EOSHD forum post, I'm not going to stop you, just use an URL shortener like Google's

This should bypass their blocking. Try going to this Canon Rumors article via my shortened link for instance: https://goo.gl/Krp6W5

Clicked on the link and it comes with a dead link that says hello ? wow they're playing dirty aha! 

• Super Members

Its very informative that Canon have a relationship with a site like that and then get their knickers in a twist with them about mention of Magic Lantern.

So they'll happily contribute to the creation of speculation and fake news about their own products in order to keep people on the hook but actively discourage the awareness of actual facts about enhancing ones you may already own.

Honestly, them having any sort of relationship with a rumour site is a pretty sad indictment of the way things are with regard to the chicanery of the camera business.

If you can't even trust the sites that are actually set up for making shit up to actually make that shit up in an unbiased way then he game has gone!

• Administrators
1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Its very informative that Canon have a relationship with a site like that and then get their knickers in a twist with them about mention of Magic Lantern.

So they'll happily contribute to the creation of speculation and fake news about their own products in order to keep people on the hook but actively discourage the awareness of actual facts about enhancing ones you may already own.

Honestly, them having any sort of relationship with a rumour site is a pretty sad indictment of the way things are with regard to the chicanery of the camera business.

If you can't even trust the sites that are actually set up for making shit up to actually make that shit up in an unbiased way then he game has gone!

Indeed, but it's astonishing the lows a PR department can go to for clicks. So in a way not too surprising. Canon's legal department once tried to pull Canon Rumors down altogether, but as they have survived and become a regular source of clicks, Canon's PR department has got involved.

You can envisage a point in the future where their legal department will be trying to sue someone at the same time their PR department is running a give-away with them.

Satire has become the modus operandi of companies and politicians in 2018 :)

47 minutes ago, Eric Calabros said:

I can open his forum to see the comments but got 404 error when I clicked on post titles! What a joke. 

Aside from your visits to EOSHD counting against you at Canon Rumors, imagine what other data they are holding about your browsing history.

Like I say, I think people should query that with Craig directly -

canonrumorsguy@gmail.com

And request deletion of ALL tracking cookies immediately.

• Administrators

Meanwhile at DPReview:

DPR forum X-T3.jpg

So much for free speech!

And their feedback section has plenty of concerns about the amount of sponsored content they have been running lately

https://***URL removed***/forums/5001

Which I criticised... Hence the ban on my links.

Are we living in China or the west?

14 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Meanwhile at DPReview:

DPR forum X-T3.jpg

So much for free speech!

And their feedback section has plenty of concerns about the amount of sponsored content they have been running lately

https://***URL removed***/forums/5001

Which I criticised... Hence the ban on my links.

Are we living in China or the west?

That's crazy if not scary 

• Super Members
2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Indeed, but it's astonishing the lows a PR department can go to for clicks. So in a way not too surprising. Canon's legal department once tried to pull Canon Rumors down altogether, but as they have survived and become a regular source of clicks, Canon's PR department has got involved.

You can envisage a point in the future where their legal department will be trying to sue someone at the same time their PR department is running a give-away with them.

And Mel Brooks can make a film about it :)

• Administrators
52 minutes ago, OliKMIA said:

All that is true Andrew but DPR is a private website, own by Amazon, they can do whatever they want on their turf...

Private companies love to pretend to uphold our constitutional rights (like freedom of speech) but when it comes to it, they are shown up.

They have no legal obligation to protect free speech.

1 minute ago, Andrew Reid said:

Private companies love to pretend to uphold our constitutional rights (like freedom of speech) but when it comes to it, they are shown up.

They have no legal obligation to protect free speech.

Yes, it's a big joke, we all agree here. It's like green-whashing. Even though you are right, I think we should focus on creating art, sharing our experience and help each other. I noticed lately that you've been going on many rants against other vlogers, blogers, websites, companies, the UE, etc. I agree with you on some of these rants but we are not going to change anything with this forum. Marketing is marketing, it's not something new.
I understand it must be frustrating for you to refuse the Hawaiian trips and other PR BS (and kudo for doing this) but that's the way it is.

Perhaps we should create a separate website called PhotoVideoPressWatch.biz and put all that over there ;)