Annnnnnd another one bites the dust...

Mako Sports

Video was giving me Red flags.

Just seems kinda fishy with some of these video comparisons showing one camera blowing another completely out of the water and other videos with completely opposite results. ?

A7III lowlight test used Super 35 instead of FF, then used SLOG 3 for the low light test IN Super 35

Then they used improperly exposed SLOG 3(once again in Super 35 crop mode) indoors and zoomed in on the shadows. Pretty sure in 2018 everyone and their grandma knows to avoid SLOG 3 on the 8 bit Sony bodies. 

Okay but to be fair I knew going into this video with Armando and Potato Jet presenting that it would be loaded/unbiased in favor of Canon.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, zerocool22 said:

I don't know man. I much prefer using slog2 then any other picture profile, but I seem to be one of the few that does :) (more DR, better colors in my opinion) 

Well technically speaking they both max out at 14 stops of dynamic range. As long as you use slog 2 with the correct color gamut (S GAMUT or S GAMUT 3) you should get really nice colors sooc.

I'm more of a Cine 2 and HLG 2 guy myself. 

1 hour ago, austinchimp said:

Actually surprised how close they looked here.

Isn't the truth now that all modern cameras produce very good images and the differences between them are more a matter of taste and style than of one being markedly better than another. The flaws I see in footage these days seem to come more from operator error in either the capture or the post production stages.

• Super Members
13 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

Isn't the truth now that all modern cameras produce very good images and the differences between them are more a matter of taste and style than of one being markedly better than another. The flaws I see in footage these days seem to come more from operator error in either the capture or the post production stages.

I agree, but that opinion can get you yelled at on this and other forums ;)

Yeah the differences become more apparent when you get tricky lighting conditions. In that test above I could spot the EOS R a lot due to the lack of DOF. 

The big issue with the video in the original post is Slog has a lot more noise then standard profiles, so when comparing ISO its really unfair. If he used the standard profile or Cine4 it would look very clean. 

2 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah the differences become more apparent when you get tricky lighting conditions. In that test above I could spot the EOS R a lot due to the lack of DOF. 

The big issue with the video in the original post is Slog has a lot more noise then standard profiles, so when comparing ISO its really unfair. If he used the standard profile or Cine4 it would look very clean. 

Slog doesn't have any more noise than the other profiles unless you expose it incorrectly. ISO comparisons between SLOG and say cine is meaningless as the method of measuring ISO is to measure a midtone which on SLOG is highly elevated due to the response curve of LOG. Try this yourself - set up a scene using ETTR i.e set the brightest part of the scene to just under zebra flashing at 105% then change between SLOG and a standard profile and the exposure settings via your Aperture or ND filter won't change even though your ISO will be vastly different. 

5 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

And SLog is at a higher ISO also. So it is never going to be as clean as say a 100 ISO comparison.

ISO is meaningless when comparing LOG to ready to use profiles. LOG at a base 3200 ISO and a ‘normal’ profile at base 100 ISO both require the same exposure in terms of shutter speed and aperture using and ETTR method. ISO is a leftover from photographic film practice and should have been binned years ago......