Olympus EM1-X Rumor

webrunner5

I am a big Olympus fan, but this thing for 3600 bucks sounds like a, why did they even bother camera. I can't see them selling many of them unless the rumors are wrong. This is like a 4 year old camera in a new body. This thing reminds me of the Pentax K1. At least it was FF.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, wolf33d said:

$3600 and no 4K60p? Would be laughable if true.

Hope not.  Mostly, it does look like a good camera for MY needs so I'll consider it.  Pretty good spec list.  However, one of my top priority needs is 60fps 4K.  It's just something I use when shooting.

EDIT:  Just checked the rumor site.  60p in 4K, so no worries there.

But... there's this:

"Live ND functionality...in five levels: ND2 (equivalent to one shutter speed step), ND4 (2 steps), ND8 (3 steps), ND16 (4 steps), and ND32 (5 steps)."

Kind of a bummer.  ND64 is required for daylight shooting and a wide open lens such as f1.4.  ND32 and 5 steps just isn't enough.

3 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

Hope not.  Mostly, it does look like a good camera for MY needs so I'll consider it.  Pretty good spec list.  However, one of my top priority needs is 60fps 4K.  It's just something I use when shooting.

EDIT:  Just checked the rumor site.  60p in 4K, so no worries there.

But... there's this:

"Live ND functionality...in five levels: ND2 (equivalent to one shutter speed step), ND4 (2 steps), ND8 (3 steps), ND16 (4 steps), and ND32 (5 steps)."

Kind of a bummer.  ND64 is required for daylight shooting and a wide open lens such as f1.4.  ND32 and 5 steps just isn't enough.

Still better than nothing, but apparently it can't be used in video??

I had high hopes for Oly to finally introduce a camera with a similar impact as the first E-M5. But it seems this is just old wine in a new bottle. Too bad. 

We get 4K 60, but that's more or less it. 4K in IPB with 102Mbps? I hope they improved, with the E-M1 II the bitrate was a maximum and in many cases was below 70Mbps. The electronic nd looks like a gimmick too.

What it will have, is the worlds best IBIS and dual IS. But a 1kg micro four thirds camera for 3000$ or more just for stabilization? 

10 minutes ago, frontfocus said:

Now that the official specs are out, the camera looks really disappointing from a videostandpoint. No 4K 60p, low bitrates, only 8bit and so on...

Personally I thought it would at least get G9 specs

Agree, total fail.

And the big tele announced, but is a development - only will be available in 2020. Not good for a camera focused in sports.

And a limited anniversary silver edition of the E-m1 MK II.

Future looks bleak for Olympus - no new processor for the E-M1X (the two chips are the same of the E-M1 MK II and...E-M10 MK III) was the first alert sign for me.

Very dissapointing. They obviously can not compete. They should concentrate more on the low cost colorful leatherer consumer cameras to try and make some profit. Don't know what's wrong, but in my usual "look what cameras the tourists use" Olympus seems to be rather popular, and the Olympus branch here is very active too - actually is 3rd in activity and advertising after the big 2, just do not know any pro's using Olympus cameras anynore.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

And the big tele announced, but is a development - only will be available in 2020. Not good for a camera focused in sports.

The spec of that lens 150-400mm f4.5 would be interesting for FF if just a touch slow (Nikon and Canon's 200-400mm are both f4) but its not such a great story when you put it on an MFT camera, when it becomes an equivalent 300-800mm f9.

Its not just reach that is required for shooting sport but also subject separation and that is going to be somewhat challenging with a maximum equivalent aperture of f9.

Even looking at the reach, I'd have to say that 300-800mm equivalent is less attractive than it might initially seem, ironically because it probably has too much reach. I actually do use a Sigma 300-800mm but it is definitely a speciality lens that I primarily use for cricket or motorsport and very rarely for other sports. A starting point of 300mm is just too tight for most sports and whilst the extra reach is useful I would definitely trade 200mm at the top for 200mm at the bottom. 

So I have to say even if this lens was available from day one instead of a vague point that could be 18+ months after release then it still wouldn't be enough to make much if any inroad into breaking the Canon and Nikon stranglehold.

If they'd turned up with a 100-200mm f2 or a 200mm f1.4 then it might be different but as functional as the body is it doesn't mean a great deal without the lenses when it comes to this niche area.

The launch price here in the UK is about £600 less than the now reduced street price of the Sony a9 so if I was going to take a punt at a non-Nikon or Canon option for professional sports photography then I suspect I would spring the extra.

My experience of the AF performance on adapted Canon lenses on E mount versus putting them on MFT would at least mean I had half a chance of being able to use the lenses I needed.

But I'm not thinking of taking that punt and I doubt anyone else is either.

None of this means the Olympus is a bad camera but it is certainly the worst option out there for the role that they are promoting it as primarily being for.

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

Very dissapointing. They obviously can not compete. They should concentrate more on the low cost colorful leatherer consumer cameras to try and make some profit.

If they want to do something different then I think they should look at making an enthusiast/prosumer/entry level broadcast MFT camcorder.

They have all the component parts to make something that sits between the 1" models and the FS5 area.

A version based on their 12-100mm lens would be appealing to many people I think.

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

But I'm not thinking of taking that punt and I doubt anyone else is either.

None of this means the Olympus is a bad camera but it is certainly the worst option out there for the role that they are promoting it as primarily being for.

I can only see it being of interest to wildlife shooters, who need the very good weather sealing and light weight lenses, extra tele-reach without the bulk. Whenever we want greater subject separation for sports that means much heavier glass. An F1.4 Olympus tele would be like the size of a Sigma 105mm F1.4 so 1.6kg and bulky. They have no choice but to maintain the concept of Micro Four Thirds and that means small apertures as well as small bodies, except when it comes to some of their rather tasty primes like the 17mm and 25mm F1.2.

19 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

They have all the component parts to make something that sits between the 1" models and the FS5 area.

A version based on their 12-100mm lens would be appealing to many people I think.

Yes that would be fantastic for run & gun. I have considered getting the 12-100mm many times but not sure how committed I will be to Micro Four Thirds after the S1 comes out. Might be a bad time to invest although that lens on the Pocket 4k would be interesting for handheld stuff.

• Super Members
25 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I can only see it being of interest to wildlife shooters, who need the very good weather sealing and light weight lenses, extra tele-reach without the bulk. Whenever we want greater subject separation for sports that means much heavier glass. An F1.4 Olympus tele would be like the size of a Sigma 105mm F1.4 so 1.6kg and bulky. They have no choice but to maintain the concept of Micro Four Thirds and that means small apertures as well as small bodies, except when it comes to some of their rather tasty primes like the 17mm and 25mm F1.2.

I think they should definitely be pitching it more squarely at wildlife and drop the pro sports aspect of it.

The sports stuff they have on the DPR site trailing it today is not going to inspire anyone.

25 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I have considered getting the 12-100mm many times but not sure how committed I will be to Micro Four Thirds after the S1 comes out. Might be a bad time to invest although that lens on the Pocket 4k would be interesting for handheld stuff.

I saw your tweet about the lens the other day and I think that I might be able to make it par focal on the Pocket 4K...... 

The handheld Hi Res is HUGE for a camera. Though that alone cannot sell this camera. Also, I don't seem to have come across anyone (online reviewers) who seems to have tested it.

But the video is as mediocre as ever. And can they justify the $999 premium, with a 3 Year old sensor with no improvements at all? They have improved absolutely nothing in the video.

Why no 14-bit RAW photos, or 10-bit video even if its 4-2-0. It's like Olympus is in denial of some sort. Maybe they've just given up. 

• Administrators
1 hour ago, sanveer said:

The handheld Hi Res is HUGE for a camera. Though that alone cannot sell this camera. Also, I don't seem to have come across anyone (online reviewers) who seems to have tested it.

The handheld hi-res sample of a palm tree from DPReview look mushy, no real resolution gain from 20MP if you pixel peep the JPEG.