Olympus EM1-X Rumor

webrunner5

On 11/12/2018 at 8:04 PM, Yurolov said:

Like I said before, and most people disagreed with me, the future of m43 is a gimbleless future. If they can give us perfectly stabilised footage straight out of camera that alone makes it unique among the competition and saves a lot in time and the extra cost of a gimbal. I don't know what 7.5 stops will mean practically once they do their crop but I would imagine we are getting pretty close. 

I agree. M4/3 can't compete in the megapixel race but it is well positioned with its tiny sensor to move in this direction. A combination of IBIS and electronic stabilization with feedback from an accelerometer and gyro (like the gopro 7) and you could have gimbal levels of performance.

I can't see M4/3 surviving in the high end market any other way.

I'd love the GH6 to have a 20MP sensor, 4K120p, gimbal levels of stabilization, Fuji/Pany organic sensor with ISO performance as good or better than GH5s, and internal ND (via the organic sensor), and articulating screen. Slap on the new 10-25mm f1.7 and you have perhaps the perfect run and gun shooting, b-cam, street journalistic style video-adventure -camera ever?

On 11/12/2018 at 8:38 PM, webrunner5 said:

Actually just using that tech that is in the Hero7 Black in a mirrorless would be pretty good. Sure i it is not so hot side to side, but walking running it gets the job done big time. I have Zero desire to run around with a Gimbal. None. They on average are just too damn fragile and you stand out like a sore thumb using one.

I would pay good money (3K+) for this as well. If Pany or Oly could make a M4/3 mirrorless camera that I could take out of my backpack and run around and take 4K 60/120p stabilized video without a gimbal that looks like it was shot on a gimbal, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Olympus has nothing to lose and no cinema line to protect, and that is why it needs to seriously work on its video capabilities. Maybe it needs to collaborate with someone like Blackmagic, since they do compliment each other in many ways. Olympus had superb hardware (great lenses and OIS in lenses, IBIS in bodies, superb weather sealing, good photography capabilities etc); Blackmagic has superb colour for video and excellent video capabilities and codec (BRAW). They both also have the M43 as a common factor, so it should be beneficial for both, that they support each other. Also, unlike Panasonic, Olympus is not a competitor to Blackmagic and also doesn't have a cinema line that prevents it pushing the RAW capabilities down to lower priced cameras. Blackmagic could get a DSLR sized camera that can shoot RAW (and ProRes, in Multiple Flavours), is weather sealed with IBIS, and Olympus could get a DSLR sized camera that does RAW at a fraction of the cost of most players around, and has features as good as Full Frame Mirrorless cameras and better. They naturally compliment each other. Also the Panasonic and Leica collaboration has shown that even big players need to band together. 

I don't see how Olympus has the money to do much of anything. The camera side has been on near bankruptcy for years, mostly because of the scandal at the top, and even the Endoscope business is nearing an end now with new imaging techniques. I think they are crazy to even carry on. Maybe make lenses for others, but to jump big time into the higher end, I think they will lose that battle. They just don't have the R&D money like Sony, Canon does. Neither does Nikon to be honest.

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I don't see how Olympus has the money to do much of anything. The camera side has been on near bankruptcy for years, mostly because of the scandal at the top, and even the Endoscope business is nearing an end now with new imaging techniques. I think they are crazy to even carry on. Maybe make lenses for others, but to jump big time into the higher end, I think they will lose that battle. They just don't have the R&D money like Sony, Canon does. Neither does Nikon to be honest.

Maybe the high end will save them in the end. They could have both cost and feature advantage. Something that the big boys don't wanna sell cheap.

23 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I just don't think there is enough room at the top for all these manufacturers.

Actually the GH5 has helped create a sub category of high end cameras where video is the reason for the premium pricing. If the GH5 had a FF sensor it would easily cost Atleast $1000-1500 more. Now imagine the GH5 with BRAW and ProRes, and dual mini XLR and larger screen, 4k at 120fps and even greater battery management. And some serious improvements in photo too.

If the Olympus EM1-X doesn't have great video, it will have very poor sales. Photo quality alone won't save it. Even if it's in the 14.6 stop APS-C territory and IBIS that's as good as a steadycam. 

46 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Actually the GH5 has helped create a sub category of high end cameras where video is the reason for the premium pricing. If the GH5 had a FF sensor it would easily cost Atleast $1000-1500 more. Now imagine the GH5 with BRAW and ProRes, and dual mini XLR and larger screen, 4k at 120fps and even greater battery management. And some serious improvements in photo too.

If the Olympus EM1-X doesn't have great video, it will have very poor sales. 

I agree with the first part. People paid 3800$ for a much lesser A7s and II.

Now, the second part, I know a camera that shoots prores and Braw -soon- and has a mini XLR, and larger screen(!) but it shoots 4K/60 only, and it costs 1000€ less than the GH5s (in my country!).

I do not know where Olympus is headed, but it ain't good.

22 hours ago, Kisaha said:

I agree with the first part. People paid 3800$ for a much lesser A7s and II.

Now, the second part, I know a camera that shoots prores and Braw -soon- and has a mini XLR, and larger screen(!) but it shoots 4K/60 only, and it costs 1000€ less than the GH5s (in my country!).

I do not know where Olympus is headed, but it ain't good.

I guess price seems like a big consideration for any sensor and camera system. And for M43 it seems more obviously difficult to justify a higher price range. Even if the EM1-X seems like a mag-allow bodied, weather sealed BMPCC4k with much better battery life, weather sealing, photography capabilities, IBIS and a few other tricks.

Hopefully a lot of its (EM1D-X's) tech should trickle down into smaller and much lesser priced models. 

EM1-X is 99% about appealing to sports and wildlife photographers. I don't think it has anything to do with video. I think they see an opportunity in high performance crop sensor cameras that Nikon kind of addressed with the D500 and Canon has abandoned since the mega selling 7D/7DII. Weather sealed, robust bodies, gripped to match big fast telephoto lenses, super high frame rates, etc. These photographers like crop cameras for increased reach and Canikon haven't really met their needs with their lame lineups of DX focused lenses. They are used to paying crazy amounts of money for glass (seen the price of a 400/2.8 or 600/4?) and so lots of money to chase there. Look at Panasonic 200/2.8, 100-400, the crazy expensive Fuji 200/2... all the crop manufacturers sense opportunity now that Sony/Canon/Nikon and maybe Panasonic are all focused on the FF battle.

Humping around a FF Nikon or a Canon with a 600mm lens is just asinine to be honest. You look like a goof ball doing it.

12 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

In this time of history, and for this price, this camera is very difficult to make a dent on the market.

Very true, but there is a TON of people on DPR particularly that are BiF shooters and they will buy one in a heartbeat. Most are using a EM1, EM1 mk II now. They have the money to throw at that body. And @ 18fps they will be happy campers LoL. The Panny 100-400mm or the Olympus 300mm are really small for the reach. A no brainier for that kind of shooting. A EM1 with the 100-400mm is an amazingly small package.

https://admiringlight.com/blog/review-panasonic-leica-100-400mm-f4-6-3-dg-vario-elmar-ois/

http://naturalexposures.com/mirrorless-telephoto-comparison-leica-fuji-nikon-olympus/

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Humping around a FF Nikon or a Canon with a 600mm lens is just asinine to be honest. You look like a goof ball doing it.

Very true, but there is a TON of people on DPR particularly that are BiF shooters and they will buy one in a heartbeat. Most are using a EM1, EM1 mk II now. They have the money to throw at that body. And @ 18fps they will be happy campers LoL. The Panny 100-400mm or the Olympus 300mm are really small for the reach. A no brainier for that kind of shooting. A EM1 with the 100-400mm is an amazingly small package.

https://admiringlight.com/blog/review-panasonic-leica-100-400mm-f4-6-3-dg-vario-elmar-ois/

http://naturalexposures.com/mirrorless-telephoto-comparison-leica-fuji-nikon-olympus/

"A ton"?? Do you mean 75kg per person = 1000/75 = 13,33333 persons?!

Rumor sez it may have a built in electronic variable ND filter.

Okay then.  I'm listening Olympus.  That's useful real world stuff right there.  I'm beyond pixel peeping at my age.  All these modern sensors do enough for me.  Now, show me pragmatic features and you got my attention. 

Built in variable ND is exactly that.  Allow me to lock in my SS, ISO, Iris, and Frame Rate... then control exposure with built in ND?  Man 'o Man.  That's a video shooter's dream. (at least this particular shooter)