Olympus EM1-X Rumor

webrunner5

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, liork said:

Even the E-M1 II produces 80MP Hi Res RAW files (and 50MP JPEG). And its got a 20MP sensor. Not hand held.

This pixel shift Hi Res mode only works if the subject is absolutely static i.e. no leaves moving on the trees. I's a rather limited novelty feature that can't be improved on without a radical increase in sensor read out speed.

14 minutes ago, nigelbb said:

This pixel shift Hi Res mode only works if the subject is absolutely static i.e. no leaves moving on the trees. I's a rather limited novelty feature that can't be improved on without a radical increase in sensor read out speed.

EM-1X takes it a step further, it now works when handheld and the subject only need to be reasonably still (works for portraits), a la Google Pixel 3.

The competition at the $2k+ price point is tough, and buyers looking for more stills oriented cameras are certainly not buying m43 in greater numbers than Canon/Nikon/Sony offerings. I get why they're doing this with the Olympics coming up and such, there's just really not much of a market for this. How many are going to buy a $3 or 4000+ m43 body with a permanent grip and some iteration of that same 20mp sensor? Not many.

The rumored spec isn't really attractive to anyone that's not heavily invested in m43 already, and even then it looks like a small upgrade (not in size, because its huge) over the EM1.2. Olympus has painted themselves into a corner and it looks pretty bleak. From 43rumors:

Name: E-M1X OMD camera
Sensor: 20MP
Frame rate: 18fps
7.5+ EV
Body Size: 144.37 x 146.765 x 75.345mm (body with a built in vertical grip)
High Res: Can shoot handheld High Resolution images (around 80MP)
Photography focus: Sports and Wildlife shooters
Launch: January 2019

30 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

You sure you are not talking about the "7.5+ EV"? That would have to do with how far, low it can focus down to. Which sounds pretty crazy low to be honest. Like even -4 is crazy.

I'm pretty sure its the IBIS, the current EM has up to 6.5? The extra stop would be for the new handheld high res mode? 

Just had a quick look on their website... looks like it mean IBIS! (EM1 MK2)

ev.JPG

Hmm they must have come up with some new Voodoo Magic. I remember reading when they came out with the EM1 mk II that the IBIS was at the limit it could ever be. Anymore would be effected by the "rotation of the earth". Yeah, the is what they said. I guess they have defied Physics LoL.

God damn I never forget anything LoL. Found it.

https://petapixel.com/2016/09/26/olympus-says-earths-rotation-limits-image-stabilization-6-5-stops-max/

Like I said before, and most people disagreed with me, the future of m43 is a gimbleless future. If they can give us perfectly stabilised footage straight out of camera that alone makes it unique among the competition and saves a lot in time and the extra cost of a gimbal. I don't know what 7.5 stops will mean practically once they do their crop but I would imagine we are getting pretty close. 

Actually just using that tech that is in the Hero7 Black in a mirrorless would be pretty good. Sure i it is not so hot side to side, but walking running it gets the job done big time. I have Zero desire to run around with a Gimbal. None. They on average are just too damn fragile and you stand out like a sore thumb using one.

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Actually just using that tech that is in the Hero7 Black in a mirrorless would be pretty good. Sure i it is not so hot side to side, but walking running it gets the job done big time. I have Zero desire to run around with a Gimbal. None. They on average are just too damn fragile and you stand out like a sore thumb using one.

That's the thing. People will complain about the size difference of DSLRs to mirrorless, but once you put something on a gimbal it is moot. You can't film anywhere without, like you said, sticking out like a sore thumb. I can deal with the camera being a little bit bigger if we don't need the gimbal. I think a combination of hardware and software stabilisation would get the job done. Plus bigger body means better heat dissipation and better codecs. 

From m43 rumors source

'The camera is the perfect working tool. It’s worth the high price of $3,000, I guess from what I’ve seen. Lying in the hand like the legendary E-1 (see picture on top). It’s even better balanced than the MKII. You hardly notice the little extra weight. With the 300 F4 as well as with a 45 F 1.8 the camera sticks in your hand as if glued on.

The sensor exceeds all expectations, as does the stabilizer. The camera has 3 types of high res shoots. What really pleases me is that finally the charging via 15 V USB port works. Then I can finally charge my Powerbanks via solar cells while hiking in Nepal and then connect them to the camera. But the best will be the extremely high data transfer rate when transferring live data to a server over the air.

The charger charges the battery extremely fast, thanks for the investment of an additional $4.80 in development. for those who have waited a long time, the mc-20 also comes. So, look forward to the launch of the camera at the end of january 2019 and 2 more “small cameras” next year. You will smile when you see them.'

$3000, damn that's a hard sell. 

Yeah 3000 Dollars is Way out of my budget. ? Wow if it is still m4/3 that is pushing it pretty damn far. You ought to be able to buy a Sony a7s mk III when it comes out for not much more!

I guess if it is as good as a 1Dx mk II, or a Nikon D5 for 3000 bucks, well yeah would be worth it,. But still out of my price range.

The Nikon D7200 is an APS-C sized sensor that has 14.6 Stops of Dynamic Range. That's more than a lot of Full Frame Sensors. Like a lot of other Nikon cameras it uses the common 24.2MP sensor that is part of many cameras (likely across many other camera systems). Nikon is proof that that Sony's Sensors are class leading,  and that with the right tweaks in fabrication and processor technology the difference between FF, APS-C (and arguably M43) can be be reduced to almost insignificant proportions. Which basically means that M43 have more scope for improvements based solely on processing and fabrication (I read about the shorter new gapless micro lens technologies improvements in both Canon and Nikon cameras). 

The FF sensor is about 2.5 Times that of APS-C and APS-C is about 1.5 Times that of M43, meaning the size gap between M43 and APS-C is MUCH smaller than the size gap between FF and APS-C. 

I read somewhere that the EMD1-X is apparently the next generation of M43 with improvements across various parameters. Hopefully they've pushed a little bit more in the Dynamic Range and Low Light potential, apart from implementing PDAF way better. If they can, there is no reason this should not replace some high end APS-C sensors.

9 hours ago, liork said:

It cannot be as good with a much smaller sensor.

Yeah that is true, but I would bet if the focus speed, shooting speed is as good, and add 7.5 stops of IBIS, and a body that is as comfortable I would think they would love to be able to use a 500mm, 600mm lens handheld and give up some DoF.  20mp is 20mp no matter if it is FF or m4/3 on for most normal stuff. Even in this day and age you can blow stuff up to crazy big sizes without much loss.

I think Olympus thinks they can get some takers with just the IBIS and body size alone. Just lens OIS is really not super good on the really long lenses they use at the Olympics. I guess we will see. But yeah you are right they are not going to jump ship in droves.  Now if people using them have better looking shots they will All jump ship LoL. That is pretty much what it is all about. A Tool to use to get results.