Who wants to have a go at grading EOSHD Z-LOG?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

This full frame 3840 x 2160 4K clip is from my Nikon Z7 and I've included a standard JPEG to compare with. See how much it can bring out in the blacks

https://www.eoshd.com/uploads/z-log/EOSHD-Z-LOG-Sample.zip

The image quality from this camera is absolutely incredible.

I am not sure if it is as good as the D850 - need to do a back to back. On DPReview's chart they had more aliasing on the Z7, but that could be down to the default in-camera processing having a more consumer friendly level of sharpening going on.

With Z-LOG this is dialled down further than is possible with the default picture styles, even further down than the Flat profile.

I find I am getting better colour in Z-LOG as well, vs Flat.

Show us your grading skills!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Show us your grading skills!

I took a little time with the EOSHD Z-Log L this afternoon ... came up with the following.

If you would prefer it in another thread please move it ....

Looks good for the times I am out with the camera and do not want external recorder etc etc etc.

Bob

Just some advise as a Nikon shooter. Contrary to Sony, I start up with very good colours, so the need of another picture profile is not a priority for me unless I want more dynamic range or it really brings some big benefit. Until now we have Flat profile which is in some way quite capable because even if it not as flat as log profile it has still quite some more info at least in the shadows (You get quite some DR from it). Now with the launch of the z6-z7, we are getting the Nikon N-log +10 bit which I have zero knowledge how good it is. Fortunately  I already have an external recorder, so will be able to test it afterward when I get a z6.

Now again, as a Nikon video user, what the marketing material of the z-log is not very enticing (I think for a video newbee even less). The first thing is that the most important thing I wanted to see was human beings and skin tone, more so in harsh natural lights and not indoor lights, at least with sunlight I can guess how it is as the sun is a known factor. Again skin tone is vital for most who are not going to trade skin tone for DR.

Secondly what would make people move is a proper test like the one done with different camera but at least in this case between Flat and Zlog, even N-log would be good. Without this , how to convince Nikon users.

The last thing again, with example footage, is the robustest and gradability with Zlog. Then explaining the importance of having standard LOG profile that mimic for example Sony or Canon log, because then, you can use all those luts that have been developed already for those log profile. I am sure that not even 1% of Nikon would be video shooters, understand how practical it would be until all those luts are develop for N-log. Some sample files (with humans beings) showing how it grades (banding 8bit or even how it works in 10 bit external), use of some known Canon and Sony lut etc would make it much more appealing to Nikon users.

At least for me, that's what I feel as a Nikon shooter who might be interested in a Flat internal log type profile.

On 11/10/2018 at 1:03 AM, docmoore said:

I took a little time with the EOSHD Z-Log L this afternoon ... came up with the following.

If you would prefer it in another thread please move it ....

Looks good for the times I am out with the camera and do not want external recorder etc etc etc.

Bob

I think a LOG profile is an overkill to use on object or scenery that are in the shadows. The DR is not challenging at all and would need grading while a normal profile would already nail the shot.

• Administrators
19 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

I think a LOG profile is an overkill to use on object or scenery that are in the shadows. The DR is not challenging at all and would need grading while a normal profile would already nail the shot.

Not like you to miss the point lol.

A LOG profile is not just a dynamic range tool in the box, it is necessary for colour grading, colour matching, LUTs, and more.