Andrew Reid

New! EOSHD Z-LOG profile for internal recording on Nikon Z7 and Nikon DSLRs (D850, D5, D5600 and more)

I bought a z6 and z-log. I use GH5 and Sony A7iii mainly for video and they both have zebra with IRE value and exposure metering bar. So for Z-log, the zebra is 235. OK. I am just curious that does the Nikon video M mode have exposure metering bar? Because for most of time it do helps. And if not, are the histogram and zebra only tools for exposure helping? Thanks 

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This is a bit rough---first time shooting in Reid's in-camera Z-log. But one thing I learned from this: Andrew's Z-Log provides a far superior dynamic range in-camera than Nikon's in-camera "flat" profile. Reid's Z-log holds plenty of detail in the lows, and protects the highlights very well. Even if you use or don't use the LUTS you come up with good quality clips---which I'm SURE anyone could grade better than I.

This video was shot entirely in Andrew's cinema Z-log and hand graded--no lut. All hand held using an EF to Z mount adapter with Rokinon 1.4 lenses.

On 11/7/2018 at 7:21 PM, wolf33d said:

Cool. Do you have any footage comparison with Flat profile (instead of standard)?

I've tested it, and even if you don't want to use the LUTs Reid's LOG gives lots more dynamic range than the so-called "flat" profile, for sure. Maybe not as much as the Log Nikon provides for 10 bit video, but much better in-camera than the flat profile.

On 11/25/2018 at 8:57 PM, lucashu said:

I bought a z6 and z-log. I use GH5 and Sony A7iii mainly for video and they both have zebra with IRE value and exposure metering bar. So for Z-log, the zebra is 235. OK. I am just curious that does the Nikon video M mode have exposure metering bar? Because for most of time it do helps. And if not, are the histogram and zebra only tools for exposure helping? Thanks 

Nikon has some glaring omissions in regard to exposure tools for us video shooters. That's the bad news. The good news is they should be easily put in a future firmware update. DEFINITELY need an exposure meter, ditch the histogram and install waveforms, and for heaven's sake, make it possible to use Zebras and Peaking simultaneously. Just those few things would make the camera much more usable. 

I would like to setup color management in Davinci Resolve when using Z-Log L profile.

Instead of the LUT I would like to set the correct input color space.

What is the suitable input color space? I tried S-Gamut/S-Log (2),(3) and they don't work well.

Thanks!

image.png

5 hours ago, Stathman said:

@thebrothersthre3 Hi! Not happy with x-t3?

I am happy with it. I think it would be better if it was full frame, but its the best there is right now. I am not planning on getting rid of it. 

I am looking for a second camera though and the Z6 is looking pretty good. 

On 12/4/2018 at 10:55 PM, michaelezra said:

I would like to setup color management in Davinci Resolve when using Z-Log L profile.

Instead of the LUT I would like to set the correct input color space.

What is the suitable input color space? I tried S-Gamut/S-Log (2),(3) and they don't work well.

Thanks!

image.png

its been over 1 month since I purchased the Z-Log profile and asked the question above.
Is there ANY support here?