FujiFilm X-T3 - Thoughts After One Month

DBounce

• Super Members
1 hour ago, mkabi said:

From all reports that I am hearing - you need to go through 3 different hits/processes to get from photo to video (and vice versa) on the EOS-R???

Nope. Just hit record. Fro showed it already in Hawaii and that sealed the deal on my preorder. In my review I will spend a lot of time raving about the different ways and options when switching between stills and video. Even when using the two press method its waay faster than turning the dial on a Sony or Fuji.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

So, let me get this straight...

A forum member (who contributes a lot to this place by the way) makes a cautionary post about having two separate failures of a camera model that many people on here may be looking to buy and the response is to criticise his work ?

Are you trying to suggest he broke these cameras by virtue of taking photographs that you don't particularly like ?

Have I got that right?

That both of these cameras self destructed on the grounds of taste?

Because if you are not suggesting that then you need to accept that your contribution to this particular thread is as irrelevant as it is mean spirited.

Agreed. Let alone his eye on the best second half to always pop up from those devices and glass, I guess this only might end into a bit of envy, as matter of fact : ) Hope to not lose from my sight anyway ; ) Kudos lucky man, you have no need of anything more... : -) Really, I have no idea where you find time : D to yet shoot and care to share ; -) Thanks @DBounce !

Man so sorry about your bad luck on gears

If it was me I will do the same too!

My friend's M50 went dead after using it for 2 weeks ( wouldn't turn on), so he have to send it in for repair, so out of the 6 weeks holiday he have he get to only use M50 for 2 weeks, luckily my M50 still working when I was on holiday, if this happens to me I will be pissed too!

I have heard about Sony and canon cameras going bad. I wouldn't cross fuji off just yet. 

18 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

It is true that sometimes I cannot understand the kind of gear some people have compared to their photography and videography they do. perhaps because I live in a second world country and cannot phantom how people can by for example as a Nikon user a z7 when you are not a pro. One thing I would advise some, take your money and buy lesser gear and use the rest to take some courses etc. No gear is going to make your photo or video better, we have reach the level that most of us are the limiting factor, but some know how will make a drastic difference.  

If you move to a place like the USA you'd get it. People spend a ton on hobbies. 

Someone might buy a camera just because it makes them happy not because they need it. Its not different then an expensive car. Nobody needs a super fast car, or to eat at expensive restaurants, or to buy expensive alcohol, or whatever it is, but they like it. 

sad but not entirely surprised. i stopped buying nikon after my D750 failed me and got recalled twice..  go figure they switched body assembly to thailand. (i'm very happy btw Z series is back at Sendai, Japan).

quality control is a real issue and i highly doubt the chinese factory made XT3 can rival with the well-known scrutiny of Fuji's sendai factory..

On 11/8/2018 at 9:03 PM, Robert Collins said:

Just finished a book of photos of my son’s first 5 years....

Good on ya. Wish I had done that.

On 11/9/2018 at 4:02 AM, BTM_Pix said:

That both of these cameras self destructed on the grounds of taste?

:)

If that were possible, I would have NO working cameras left (instead of the six I have lying around, if you include my drones and my Olympus 3030 zoom that I have been too lazy to take down to the electronics recycling center).

On 11/7/2018 at 8:26 AM, DBounce said:

So it's been a little over a month since I purchased my first FujiFilm X-T3 body. About two weeks after purchasing the first body I became convinced that this camera was very special. It was fun to shoot with. It reignited my desire to shoot stills. When it came to video the X-T3 seemed more than capable. I decided to refine my lens collection, adding the 23mm F2, 35mm F2, 16mm F1.4 and 56mm F1.2. Later I add the magnificent MKX18-55mm T2.9. All of these lenses performed to my highest expectations. 

I can tell you after this short period of owning these cameras that they can capture some truly lovely images. The in camera profiles are great and very inspiring to work with. The whole experience is really quite wonderful... well, that is it was. I am getting rid of the whole system. 

Why? Well, the second body decided to quit. The screen froze up and would just blink. A quick call to Fuji tech support revealed that the hardware had failed. I called to get a return authorization, which was granted. I decided not to go for an exchange, instead opting to wait and see how the first body held up. Today, I went out to shoot some pictures for a project we are doing. Upon arriving at the location I grabbed the X-T3 out of my bag and flipped the switch to power it on... NOTHING! Absolutely nothing. No lights, no screen lighting up, no power up at all. I tried different batteries. Still nothing. I tried pulling the battery and holding down power, then re-inserting the battery and attempting to power up again. Still nothing. Finally I tried the one thing I knew would work. This technique has never failed me.... I went home and grabbed my Canon 1DXMk2. Needless to say the shoot was completed. But the Fuji's are paper weights. 

I'm done with FujiFilm. It's all going back. It's packed up... I will not buy another one. In my experience they are not fit for serious use. Heck, they are not fit for even casual use. I had spoken highly of them in the past, but this experience with not one... but two bodies failing is enough for me. Lesson learned.

Sorry to hear you got two duds...  I'd suggest buying a lottery ticket - luck that bad can only be that it's been redirected somewhere else!

I was particularly interested in the dial system that Fuji had, being able to control every parameter in either auto or a given manual setting is great, and gives more flexibility than some PASM mode implementations do, with a much better interface.

Are you back to using the 1DXii for video as well?  It looks great but I hear it weighs as much as a bus!

32 minutes ago, kye said:

Are you back to using the 1DXii for video as well?  It looks great but I hear it weighs as much as a bus!

I would imagine when you add the grip and 2 batteries to the X-T3 it is not going to be too far off either weight wise. I can't find the grip exact weight. Just shipping weight.

The Fuji T2 weighs 29.54 oz, 837 gms with battery and a loaded battery pack. The 1dx mk II weighs 53.97 oz, 1530gms. So a bit less than 24.43 grams or 1.5 pounds as heavy. Not that much really if the X-T3 weighs what the X-T2 does?

X-T3-FRONTLEFT-GRIP-SLV.JPG

10 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I would imagine when you add the grip and 2 batteries to the X-T3 it is not going to be too far off either weight wise. I can't find the grip exact weight. Just shipping weight.

The Fuji T2 weighs 29.54 oz, 837 gms with battery and a loaded battery pack. The 1dx mk II weighs 53.97 oz, 1530gms. So a bit less than 24.43 grams or 1.5 pounds as heavy. Not that much really if the X-T3 weighs what the X-T2 does?

Yes, I suppose that the 1DX isn't so bad if you think of it as having a battery grip included. Personally though I don't use a battery grip and I would expect to be able to get away with not having one, so it depends on your perspective.

1 hour ago, kye said:

Yes, I suppose that the 1DX isn't so bad if you think of it as having a battery grip included. Personally though I don't use a battery grip and I would expect to be able to get away with not having one, so it depends on your perspective.

Well I have big hands, fingers. So I pretty much Have to have a Battery Grip. I have one on my A7s, and my pinky finger hangs below the bottom of the body without it. I can't even use my Sony RX10 mk I because the aperture ring on the lens cuts my finger it is that tight. So my circumstances dictate I use a camera that is a bit on the larger size I guess. But I weigh like 240 pounds so. Always been near 200 pounds even when I was younger.

11 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

The 1DXMk2 with lens is huge and heavy. It feels much heavier with lens than the X-T3 with lens. Battery grip or not. Don't get me wrong... it's built to withstand war. But that said, it's not the kind of camera that you take along on a whim. 

This is the strength of these smaller and lighter cameras.

Btw... thanks to everyone for the kind words. We all know it takes guts to put your work out there, and while there is nothing wrong with constructive and positive criticism, I feel it reflects poorly on the community when things get negative. Remember, being negative with film just doesn't work?

Oh I will agree with you. That is why I use a Sony A7s. But some cameras just don't work at all for me. I had a Olympus EM5 mk II with the grip and it was Way too small for my hands. Even the buttons seemed too small. But the Oly EM1 mk I I had seemed to fit me very well. 

I will admit I have a love affair with the Canon 1D bodies, but the longer lenses are just no fun to lug around, let alone the cost of them. Out of my reach money wise these days.