Colour Differences on Youtube across browsers

jgharding

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

I've had this before as well!

Turned out to be one browser was showing it according to the Display profile in Mac OS and the other one was using SRGB or doing it's own thing.

At the time I had an LG 4K monitor and when I changed the monitor colour mode in the LG monitor menus to match Mac OS the problem went away and both browsers were the same.

A lot of people do see colour differences between computers and that's why it causes so many arguments about camera colour!

You should all hear how the folks over at liftgammagain.com turn themselves inside out over browser colour renderings...   almost as much as the client watching the latest render on grandmas 15 year-old TV and then breathing fire down the phone about how the colours are all gone to hell...

I'm sure many people on here are familiar with the issues of client management, but imagine if colour was your only job!!

7 minutes ago, leeys said:

Oh gods I think I have found a new series of shitposts. xD

haha this is definitely a meme format now

5 hours ago, TurboRat said:

Yes this was the solution, thank you

Basically you have no idea what kind of deranged setup someone is going to be viewing on.  Slight browser differences are likely to be the least of the problem.  If you are lucky enough that a viewer is watching on a large desktop monitor (as opposed to a phone or smooth motion tv) with no overscan and not set to some weird 'movie' preset with the brightness too high and the sharpness to the max, then to have the only problem be a slight browser difference is really not much of an issue.   So its best not to worry about it.

On 11/8/2018 at 1:20 AM, MattH said:

Basically you have no idea what kind of deranged setup someone is going to be viewing on.  Slight browser differences are likely to be the least of the problem.  If you are lucky enough that a viewer is watching on a large desktop monitor (as opposed to a phone or smooth motion tv) with no overscan and not set to some weird 'movie' preset with the brightness too high and the sharpness to the max, then to have the only problem be a slight browser difference is really not much of an issue.   So its best not to worry about it.

sure, it's more for my viewing pleasure TBH, i'd like Chorme not to make video look like a bag of boiled dicks

• Administrators
On 11/8/2018 at 1:20 AM, MattH said:

Well we make art primarily for ourselves and get a lot of pleasure putting it out there, sharing it with other people. It's up to them whether they have a proper view from the crowd or not. It's a shame a lot of them don't but nothing we can do about it :)

Tech companies on the other hand could start by getting their fucking act together :)

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Well we make art primarily for ourselves and get a lot of pleasure putting it out there, sharing it with other people. It's up to them whether they have a proper view from the crowd or not. It's a shame a lot of them don't but nothing we can do about it :)

Tech companies on the other hand could start by getting their fucking act together :)

Brief aside, kind of related: Back when I was a magazine publisher I had an advertiser go ballistic (he took us to court over this, but we won.) His complaint was the the green background in his print ad wasn't the right shade of green and that made his ad less effective (also, his ad was terrible.)

Turns out, beyond not asking/specifying a Pantone spot color (which we wouldn't have allowed anyhow) his output to file was RGB (not CMYK, which is how we printed so there was conversion on our side to make it printable), he worked on a non-color-calibrated system, proofed with a desktop, low-end consumer printer (which he expected to match the final magazine) and his whole layout was Microsoft Publisher which had no means of doing anything properly let alone color matching. 

Browser to browser shifts in gamma or hue seem so small in comparison.