Vimeo's new policy is..... Failure!

Andrew Reid

"During her time there, she made the case that the business should focus its attention on content creators.

That was a really valuable business opportunity, and an area no one was really focused on," Sud said. She made the case to Vimeo, and "because of that, I was given an opportunity to run the company."

lol. Guys she is a visionary.

They should start by updating their servers so people can stream 1080p let alone 4k. I didn't even need to go to Harvard Business School to come up with that idea! ?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but when you figure You Tube is basically free, and Vimeo charges pretty much everyone, and they still aren't making it happen tells me that it is, and was, some real dumb ass people steering the ship as the say. I think they are like Sears, WAY to late to turn it around. And now they are just pissing off the people that they Really need to stay on.

Youtube is not free. When something is "free", you are the product. Alphabet/Google makes between 80 and 90% of its revenue with Google ads (check the annual report). That's why they "offer" map, gmail, youtube, android, documents and all the services for free because they monetize your private information and sell it to others. And this is a very lucrative business, Alphabet revenue was $110 billion last year. Vimeo is aiming at $100 million this year...
Facebook once considered making a Ads free service and the price estimate for the monthly subscription would be $11 to $14 which is more than the Vimeo Plus subscription on a yearly basis. That's what "free"  means. So yeah, it's "free" but then you have Cambridge analytica scandals and super intrusive policy.

3 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

Its not hate. Its a natural reaction to absurdity of CEO's cluelessness about the company in her hand. 

How is she absurd? The 3 strikes policy was in effect years before she arrives at Vimeo.
Clueless, what did she do since she arrive at Vimeo? What is her position about the development of the company? What's the new strategy? I'm ready to accept facts but so far it seems more like feelings, opinions and hate toward her. I just don't know what she does at Vimeo and I'd like to know.

By the way, Google just published a report about piracy and put some numbers about its content ID and revenue distribution. We learn that:

- Youtube paid labels and rightsholders more than $3 billion this year thanks to the content ID system. Between october 2017 and oct 2018, $1.8 billion was paid to the music industry.
- Google invested $100 millions in the content ID system, mainly in technical and H&R. This number is up from $60 million two years ago.

Now just put these number in perspective with Vimeo annual revenues ($100 millions). This combined with the lawsuit might explain the difference between how youtube and vimeo handle the strike issue. Again, I'm not saying that I like the strike policy at Vimeo (got a strike myself...) but we need to see the big picture here.

18 hours ago, OliKMIA said:

By the way, Google just published a report about piracy and put some numbers about its content ID and revenue distribution. We learn that:

- Youtube paid labels and rightsholders more than $3 billion this year thanks to the content ID system. Between october 2017 and oct 2018, $1.8 billion was paid to the music industry.
- Google invested $100 millions in the content ID system, mainly in technical and H&R. This number is up from $60 million two years ago.

Now just put these number in perspective with Vimeo annual revenues ($100 millions). This combined with the lawsuit might explain the difference between how youtube and vimeo handle the strike issue. Again, I'm not saying that I like the strike policy at Vimeo (got a strike myself...) but we need to see the big picture here.

The difference is that YouTube has a mechanism for gathering revenue for the rights holders whereas Vimeo does not. Until they come up with a way of paying rights holders then their only option is to remove infringing material although their methods seem incredibly heavy handed.

I don't think that anyone could really object if Vimeo just removed all infringing material but to remove every last trace of the user's account is far too drastic