video codecs with gpu acceleration?

capitanazo

Hi, i want to know what codecs are playback by gpu on premiere or resolve.

i have to work with too mutch tracks and clips and i get lagged with my cpu at 100% and my gpus practically do nothing lol.

i got an rx 570 8gb and a ryzen 5 1600, 16gb ram ddr4 and ssd storage for the cache and the files.

any codec will increase performance and use the gpu would be apreciate.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, capitanazo said:

Hi, i want to know what codecs are playback by gpu on premiere or resolve.

i have to work with too mutch tracks and clips and i get lagged with my cpu at 100% and my gpus practically do nothing lol.

i got an rx 570 8gb and a ryzen 5 1600, 16gb ram ddr4 and ssd storage for the cache and the files.

any codec will increase performance and use the gpu would be apreciate.

Good question.

Here's some info:

However for editing, VFX and grading, the compressed data needs to be decompressed to the full RGB per pixel bit depth that can use four times or more processing power of a HD image for the same real time grading performance. The decompression process, like compression, uses the CPU so the heavily compressed codecs need more powerful and a greater number of CPU cores. H.264 and H.265 are heavily compressed formats and while not ideal for editing are often used by lower cost cameras. If you use these types of compressed codecs you will need a more powerful CPU or be prepared to use proxies or Resolves optimised media feature.

Once the files are decompressed DaVinci Resolve uses the GPU for image processing so the number of GPU cores and the size of GPU RAM becomes a very important factor when dealing with UHD and 4K-DCI sources and timelines. For VFX each layer of images uses GPU memory and so any GPU with a small amount of memory will have a performance hit as you add layers up to the level where the GPU just has insufficient memory and performance.

For uncompressed images, in industry standards like DPX or EXR particularly with 16 bit files, the CPU has an easier time as these are effecient codecs, However they place greater demands on the disk array, RAID controller, storage connection and even the file system itself.

Audio facilites who plan to use flattened HD video files wont need as powerful GPU or disk I/O as audio files by their nature are smaller than video. But remember, if you are importing a DaVinci Resolve project file or sharing projects on a central database, you may be opening projects with complex video timelines, a variety of image formats and codecs and potentially with demanding VFX elements so even the most basic audio system should be prepared for these demands.

(Source)

However, it seems some codecs are supported.  V14 release notes:

• Added support for hardware accelerated HEVC decode on macOS High Sierra
• Added support for hardware accelerated HEVC encode on macOS High Sierra on supported hardware
• Added support for hardware accelerated HEVC decode on supported NVIDIA GPUs on DaVinci Resolve Studio on Windows and Linux

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like there's a complete list anywhere, the "what's new" feature lists are only incremental, and BM don't use consistent language in those posts so searching for phrases doesn't work either (sometimes they say "hardware accelerated" sometimes "GPU accelerated" etc).

My guess is that you should just set up a dummy project with a high resolution output and then export it in every codec you can think of (just queue them up, hit go and walk away) and then pull all of them into a timeline and compare the FPS and CPU/GPU load on each type.  It's a bit of admin you shouldn't have to do, but it will definitely answer your question.

Well the problem with a lot of this is I have probably built over 200 computers from scratch. Maybe 25 for me, the rest for others. A lot of them, money, the sky's the limit, even for mine..

And some of them were crazy ass fast and some were not so hot. Just having the best components in a system does not guarantee great results. Everything has to be great for it to be great. And it all has to play nice with each other. And that is a damn hard thing to pull off I don't care what money you throw at it.

Some components are duds right from the factory brand new. Some of them get better with time. Sort of a burn in. It is a total crap shoot. I would never spend the last dollars you have on the best of everything. I find Intel the best for CPU's and MSI the best for Video cards. AMD CPU's you have to overclock the shit out of them to get them to work and they die young because of it. And you can't have a big enough Power supply, and spend a shit pot on the motherboard. That way you can usually upgrade 1 to 2 times more before they are outdated.

And the high end CPU's, GPU's hold their value damn well to re sell them down the road when you update. It all helps.

12 hours ago, capitanazo said:

I have to work with too mutch tracks and clips and i get lagged with my cpu at 100% and my gpus practically do nothing lol.

Are you generating optimised media and using the render cache feature? If not then Resolve will not use the GPU much. Resolve uses the CPU for playback and it will struggle with highly compressed media. 

On 11/6/2018 at 4:39 AM, Shirozina said:

Are you generating optimised media and using the render cache feature? If not then Resolve will not use the GPU much. Resolve uses the CPU for playback and it will struggle with highly compressed media. 

yea i used optimized media, but i got like 8% of my cpu, well i think for now there are no codec that use the gpu so effeclty