The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K unboxed and first impressions - Best indie RAW camera yet?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well written Andrew. 

Just out of interest, when using my Speedbooster XL and Canon 24-105 f4, The P4K displays the max apurture as f2.7. Also, when using my Canon 1.8 primes, the max apurture displays as f1.2 with the Speedbooster XL.

I know some people have commented they want a Full Frame pocket 4K but I think that the MFT sensor is one of it's biggest strengths and extremely versatile. As you say, a crop of only 1.2 when used with a speedbooserXL and great lowlight performance with it's combination of speed booster light magnification and great sensor. 

The follow focus is an extra, but €79 here, so defientely managable.

The Ronin S is also not wide enough, but they include an extra mounting plate to offset the camera. I doubt there's any reason you can't do the same with this little thing. 

Due out in a week or so - I'll hold fire on my purchases and see if other people can get it balanced.

1 hour ago, Eric Calabros said:

What lenses they use on FS5?

From those silly/cheap/fake Sony zoom lenses (which work well, with everything corrected in-camera) to Zeiss primes.

The most successful cameras these days must be the FS7i and ii though. Most TV series are using those. In the one I am working currently for a major network (doing sound), we have 2x2 FS7ii with the latest Sony 18-110mm. 

One of the biggest productions here is using C300mkII with the Canon primes, but Sony dominates right now.

I have to add that I prefer working with Canon C cameras (ergonomics, menu, skin tones) but most production companies buy Sony.

7 hours ago, Shirozina said:

Such as?

I'm not saying it's a bad camera, quite the opposite, but for my line of work I need something else.

Things I'd ideally like -
1. I need it to be sealed enough to shoot at a beach (that's where I do my work), exposed fan intake is a big no go.
2. Ibis would help a ton, although I could live without it.
3. I'd like 4:3 mode.
4. Anamorphic de-squeeze if possible.
5. Tilt or flip screen for filming fisheye low down.
6. Form factor I could fit in my existing Aquatech housing if possible (same one I use for 7D, 5D, GH5, EOS elan7e).

Those are a few of the things I can think of. I don't even need a 5D styled body, I could live without that part if they added the other things. I'd pay an extra 1000AUD for such features.

2 minutes ago, tweak said:

I'm not saying it's a bad camera, quite the opposite, but for my line of work I need something else.

1. I need it to be sealed enough to shoot at a beach (that's where I do my work), exposed fan intake is a big no go.
6. Form factor I could fit in my existing Aquatech housing if possible (same one I use for 7D, 5D, GH5, EOS elan7e).

Those are a few of the things I can think of. I don't even need a 5D styled body, I could live without that part if they added the other things. I'd pay an extra 1000AUD for such features.

Sounds like you Need a GH5 or a GH5s. Nothing wrong with that.

4 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Wow there is not many cameras that shoot Raw that are affordable.

I know, there's also not many cameras that shoot Raw at a decent size and weight (DSLR size). 7D and 5D with ML were amazing, but I'd like something that does 4K raw in 4:3 aspect in that same size and weight... If the GH5 shot Raw it would be my perfect camera almost. Maybe Pana will deliver with their FF offering.

Well about the Only cheaper thing other than the ML stuff, PK4 is the Sony FS5 or an Older BMCC or the like. Does the Ursa Mini do Anamorphic?? I have seen them for 2000 bucks at times.

I don't think the the PK4 can get water or sand down in the sensor from the Fan vent areas. I think there is like a plastic shield around it. The fan moves the air over like a bubble thing. I think that is what Grant said in one of his early presentations. Now I am not saying you can our water down it! Almost every Cine camera has fan vent holes in them. I doubt many go belly up. And they use them in all kinds of conditions.

And you can use a cell phone probably for a portable monitor, or a mini iPad.

3 hours ago, tweak said:

Fair points but are you looking for a singe camera to replace your existing one (GH5) as I was certainly not. For me the P4k just adds capability to my existing GH5 setup - 4k60p, high ISO/low light performance, RAW and extra DR. It won't replace my GH5 but the ludicrous low price it is too good a deal to pass on. If it was more money I'd probably hesitate even with more features but I reckon for and EVF, tilting screen , IBS and bigger battery you would be looking at a lot more than double the price.

6 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

The guy wrong lenses on Fs700, the physical size of the sensor is important!

M4/3: 17,3x13 D:21,64 mm

Sony S35 like fs700 : 24x12,7 D:27,16

Sony A7S like FF: 36x24 D:43,27

Cookie is: 33.54mm Diameter (New Epic S35mm Format)...like FF

reference :

https://vmi.tv/training/useful-stuff/Guide-to-Sensor-Sizes-and-Lens-Formats

https://www.cookeoptics.com/l/anamorphiclens.html