best pc config

thephoenix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 11/2/2018 at 10:37 AM, Shirozina said:

If you can't afford a top end GPU then your 4k editing experience will be frustrating.

Proxies make the most sense to me for any big project, regardless of editing app and shooting format.

If you're doing short form video, perhaps not.  When you have over 100 hours of footage for a doc, making that media easy to cut is a huge priority.  Also, media management and storage is a big deal.

I built out a PC with a 1080ti 2 years ago.  However, on Resolve, I couldn't get their proxy-work-flow to function reliably, so I bailed on it and started using Premiere again.  Not a bad decision as it worked well enough to edit numerous docs, but I'm still just not a big fan of Premiere in general. 

As for Resolve, the build recommendations were all over the map in the Resolve forums back in '16, especially for budget PC's.  

An interesting angle under consideration for me is the hackintosh builds.  Cheap PC running OSX and FCPX?  Maybe.

5 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Proxies make the most sense to me for any big project, regardless of editing app and shooting format.

If you're doing short form video, perhaps not.  When you have over 100 hours of footage for a doc, making that media easy to cut is a huge priority.  Also, media management and storage is a big deal.

I built out a PC with a 1080ti 2 years ago.  However, on Resolve, I couldn't get their proxy-work-flow to function reliably, so I bailed on it and started using Premiere again.  Not a bad decision as it worked well enough to edit numerous docs, but I'm still just not a big fan of Premiere in general. 

As for Resolve, the build recommendations were all over the map in the Resolve forums back in '16, especially for budget PC's.  

An interesting angle under consideration for me is the hackintosh builds.  Cheap PC running OSX and FCPX?  Maybe.

Have you used the latest version of Resolve? They have been gradually ironing out the performance issues and bugs with every new update.

21 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

at a time i was thinknig going for 32go ram and a 1070 to buy a second 1070 few monthes later when they go cheaper, but not sure lots of motherboards can handle that and not sure either that it would help

Yes 2 1070's would be good if you want to spread the cost. Better still a 1070 now and add a 1080ti to it later!

Not editing 4K and also coming from the Stone Age but recently got a standard msi x299?!? 1080gtx and ryzen 2700 and only 16gb ram. My resolve system fine tuning seems to still lag but it is lighting fast rendering stuff (for that it hardly uses any gpu). It looks like you'll need gpu umpf for more nodes, nr, ... while scrubbing and live playback. other than that my gpu seems to be idle pretty much all the time. 

7 hours ago, hansel said:

Not editing 4K and also coming from the Stone Age but recently got a standard msi x299?!? 1080gtx and ryzen 2700 and only 16gb ram. My resolve system fine tuning seems to still lag but it is lighting fast rendering stuff (for that it hardly uses any gpu). It looks like you'll need gpu umpf for more nodes, nr, ... while scrubbing and live playback. other than that my gpu seems to be idle pretty much all the time. 

Do you have Resolve Studio or the free version? 

10 hours ago, thephoenix said:

oh ok i thought it was to be the same gc, but if they can be different then even better yes.

do you know if all MB accept that ?

this guy is putting almost everything on hard drives

Some good advice there. Don't get hung up on his HD setup as he obviously needs a seriously large amount of storage for his work. Most MB's have provision for dual GPU's as this is a common gaming setup.

8 hours ago, Shirozina said:

Do you have Resolve Studio or the free version?

Free version. Still wondering I should get studio version with a free p4k or try to fish for a code or dongle somewhere...would it make a difference?

1 hour ago, jhnkng said:

Blackmagic puts out an official hardware and configuration guide for every version of Resolve, no better advice than from the people who write the software: https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/DaVinciResolve/20180407-79c607/DaVinci_Resolve_15_Configuration_Guide.pdf

Yeah I checked that first but if you go for their advice you quickly go into five digit territory....

5 minutes ago, hansel said:

Free version. Still wondering I should get studio version with a free p4k or try to fish for a code or dongle somewhere...would it make a difference?

Yeah I checked that first but if you go for their advice you quickly go into five digit territory....

Only the Studio version can exploit the GPU.

18 hours ago, Shirozina said:

Only the Studio version can exploit the GPU.

Not sure that is correct. The Studio version can exploit multiple GPU's where the free version is limited to a single GPU.

A good article on hardware options for Resolve can be found here: https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-DaVinci-Resolve-187/Hardware-Recommendations

And this for a good comparison of GPU's using real world video editing scenarios: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/DaVinci-Resolve-14-NVIDIA-GeForce-vs-AMD-Radeon-Vega-1213/

If you're not bothered about Premiere, the AMD graphics cards are a little cheaper than the GTX series and still a good option.

1 hour ago, A_Urquhart said:

Not sure that is correct. The Studio version can exploit multiple GPU's where the free version is limited to a single GPU.

A good article on hardware options for Resolve can be found here: https://www.pugetsystems.com/recommended/Recommended-Systems-for-DaVinci-Resolve-187/Hardware-Recommendations

And this for a good comparison of GPU's using real world video editing scenarios: https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/DaVinci-Resolve-14-NVIDIA-GeForce-vs-AMD-Radeon-Vega-1213/

If you're not bothered about Premiere, the AMD graphics cards are a little cheaper than the GTX series and still a good option.

Yes sorry I got confused with the OP asking for multiple GPU use. Resolve should use the GPU for rendering if it's configured correctly but I think playback is CPU based. I've spent ages optimising the various settings in Resolve to optimise performance while watching the resource monitor in Windows.

On 11/5/2018 at 12:03 AM, hansel said:

Yeah they don't hold back! But if you take their recommendations for the Threadripper and substitute for parts that are closer to your budget you can get to a pretty good place. For example the 16 core 1950X is like $1200 AUD but the 12 core 1920X is $600 AUD -- I'd doubt the 16 core is twice as fast as the 12. Plus the guide has pretty good pointers to stop you from overspending on stuff you don't need, like going to 32gb RAM when they only recommend 16 etc.

I edit off a 1st Gen TouchBar Macbook Pro 15 and I can handle the 4k from my X-H1 ok. But if you're editing h264 material you need CPU cores -- the more the better. Or you transcode / generate optimised media. My advice would be to buy a balanced system -- don't spend all your money on a super fast GPU and not enough on a CPU, don't spend too much on the compute bits and forget about fast storage. If anything get more storage than you think you need -- you can transcode to wring better performance from slower systems, but if you're out of disk space it's a pain in the arse (and incredibly time consuming) to have to juggle and move things around to accommodate.