best pc config

thephoenix

hi

i need to change my pc so i can work with 4k and da vinci resolve.

what's the best processor and config for that ?

think ryzen are a good deal especially the 2700x but as i am working on photoshop as well so need some advices

hard drive i have.

need to buy processor, ram, motherboard, gc

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It's more of a pointer to "there is a lot more to think about than just grabbing some high core cpu and a graphics card" type of thing.

CPU performance between now is probably only about 30% better than 5 years ago clock for clock, but we have more cores and higher clock speed nowdays, with some exceptions. And lower power draw.

There is a lot of different ways to approach it depending on what you need to have done, if it's rendering maybe buying a used server with decent CPU and shove it in a different room and let it work while you do other things. If it 's scrubbing then maybe that needs some proxy tweaks and clever tricks. Maybe a server that transcodes it before you start edit. H264 with quick decode option and low keyframe number can be very snappy with pretty thin files if you struggle with IO performance. https://fxhome.com/forum/discussion/42415/transcoding-to-fast-decode-avc-for-timeline-edit-performance

If you are low on RAM that can be a problem, and to make it even worse RAM price is way over the top so a new system ain't going to be cheap.

For GPU Resolve is going to have to play nice with it and I can't make any big pointers there since I have not had it work perfectly in any workstation.

Even OS might be a thing, https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/DaVinci-Resolve-14-Performance-Windows-vs-Linux-1126/

How about diversifying this post to Best Editing Pcs at various price points:

1. $1000

2. $2000

3. $3000

4. $5000

5. $10000

Anyone wanting to spend more than $10k on an editing PC should probably just use services of companies like Prime Focus or some high end post processing and management agency. 

Resolve has different needs than premiere, photoshop, and lightroom, so a computer that does well for those programs might not be optimized for tackling resolve. Likewise, a simple gaming computer might not be best for editing 4K.

You are going to want SSDs as pointed out above.

Resolve benefits well from good graphics cards. I might go on to the black magic resolve forum and find out what is recommended.

7 hours ago, thephoenix said:

hi

i need to change my pc so i can work with 4k and da vinci resolve.

what's the best processor and config for that ?

think ryzen are a good deal especially the 2700x but as i am working on photoshop as well so need some advices

hard drive i have.

need to buy processor, ram, motherboard, gc

For Resolve you need the best GPU you can afford. If you can't afford a top end GPU then your 4k editing experience will be frustrating. What is your budget?

9 hours ago, thephoenix said:

around 1500€

i have ssds so no need for new ones

Quite a lot of good information here around your price point.

Going for an i7 8700k (or i7 9700k) has the advantage that motherboards are cheaper (relative to x299) and the high clock speed of the individual cores makes it ideal for Photoshop that doesnt benefit much from a high core count (over 4)

14 hours ago, thephoenix said:

around 1500€

i have ssds so no need for new ones

Buy a used GTX1080ti - plenty going quite cheap on ebay from currency miners and now the new models have come to the market. For data storage you will need fast access and write speeds and lots of storage so at the moment the best cost /benefit that means traditional 7200rpm HD's in RAID 0. 4 of these will get you enough speed and size but as there is no redundancy ( if one drive fails you loose it all) so you will also need to have daily backups to ideally multiple disks. 4 x 2tb will get you 7.25Tb actual storage space and then get a couple of 8tb external drives for backup and backup of backup ( depending on how paranoid you are). Use a 256gb SSD for your C drive and any spare SSD's for scratch/cache. Even put these in RAID 0 for even faster performance. I'd say you need a minimum of 32gb  RAM. CPU and motherboard - get the best you can afford with what's left in your budget......

This advice comes from experience of running several workstations for video and stills. Again if you are using Resolve you need a top end GPU. If you are using Premier you can get away with something more modest. Stills apps hardly touch the GPU and also you need Resolve Studio to fully exploit the GPU and work in 4k (I guess you know this though)

Of course it would always be great to have a high end work station but just to add another view point to some of the high spec suggestions above..

It depends what files you are working with ie low compression raw files will need the fast raid drives but files from gh5/fujis/Sony's not so much.

I am currently using a i7 7700k with a Amd Rx 480 (8gb) GPU and no big raid set ups. I use resolve with a variety of 4k footage from Pana/Fuji/blackmagics and can run all projects at the full frame rates with smooth editing all around. Only noise reduction slows it down. Even with a bunch of nodes and film convert it still 100% smooth. For me a bigger rig would only cut render times and improve noise reduction performance. 

So think about your usesage/budget together.

22 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

i think i will priorize resolve as working on photoshop takes less time.

i  mean rendering is really long when retouching is so fast compared to, so even if i loose a little time on photoshop i will gain a lot on resolve.

sounds good to you ?

Robin makes a good point - what 4k camera files are you going to be working with. Highly compressed H.264 codecs use a lot of CPU power.