What Do Y'all Think of The Kinefinity Mavo LF?

Zach Goodwin2

Yes I'd imagine many people who buy a Kinefinity from outside China research the hell out of it, so stay fairly committed to the camera for a while before selling it. Plus the general thinness of the market, means there is less chances for super crazy low priced deals. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 3 weeks later...

I am putting my ten cents worth...

IMO, the Mavo LF hasn't got a competitor anywhere near its cost. Even the expensive cameras can't match many of its features!

The only 4k plus full frame high iso camera are mirrorless stills cameras. Full frame is a massive feature that gives you wider lenses, more options with selective focus, larger pixels for  more light gathering. The DP's I have talked to want more options, and LF gives you this, and if you want small formats, you select it in the menu, and you still have 4k. 

The Mavo LF appears to be competing with many high end, expensive cameras. 

Arris have a nice look, but what I discovered the other day when renting a Alexa mini is that iso really is low. It struggles at 1600. Skin tones are a nice starting point (but get graded anyway), but whats good skin tones when you are shooting own a location that is basically unlightable(due to the size, and the ) and we are using slow cooke anamorphics. The LF would been the better option for this shoot- even without extra stop or so the arri offers. Its even better than than the C700 with its higher iso as the Mavo LF is tiny and weighs hardly anything. We were hand holding and with the anamorphic and the mini's weight, it was a ton. 

I really think REDS are completely overrated, and have yet to find a piece of footage that doesn't have a odd digital look. I use to wonder if it was my imagination, but more and more colourists I talk to agree with me. All the movies that are shot with it are the sort of movies I don't really rate .The sony cameras are complicated and the colour is odd as well. The c700 - if it has the same look as the c300mk2 will have a nice colour IMO, but it is a tank.

So even against the top high end cameras, I think the Mavo LF  looks like a good comparison. At its reasonable cost you can own a camera (a big deal IMO to really know what its capable of), and rent a cheap backup- thats super handy for lens changes etc to save time) , and the real cost is far below renting any high end camera if you shoot a dozen times a year. 

Against the cheap cameras, what does full frame wide at 75fps at 6k as prores 4444xq in a form factor as small as a DSLR, with the option of PL mount, Ef mount, E-mount, An Ef and PL mount with electronic ND's, a speed booster mount (so you can even use medium format lenses on Full frame). Multiple SDI, timecode, Raw cdng, Cheap ssd media, audio inputs, 200fps in 2k, all in a package that sits on a ronin-s if needed. Nothing comes close !

Anyone comparing this camera to a BMPCC 4k is really missing what this LF Mavo camera really is and can do! 

I don't know enough about the look of the camera but the examples are looking good- although I haven't seen anyone that can shoot really well do anything yet. But I am almost ready to purchase one (after I have tested one thoroughly). So far its looks like theres nothing like it on the market and the closest to a perfect camera for my use thats on the market. I hope the actual footage and usage/reliability lives up to the specs. We will know soon enough.

Paul

11 hours ago, paul ross jones said:

Against the cheap cameras, what does full frame wide at 75fps at 6k as prores 4444xq in a form factor as small as a DSLR, with the option of PL mount, Ef mount, E-mount, An Ef and PL mount with electronic ND's, a speed booster mount (so you can even use medium format lenses on Full frame). Multiple SDI, timecode, Raw cdng, Cheap ssd media, audio inputs, 200fps in 2k, all in a package that sits on a ronin-s if needed. Nothing comes close !

I thought Kinefinity's speedbooster mount wouldn't work on their Mavo LF but only their S35 cameras?

55 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I thought Kinefinity's speedbooster mount wouldn't work on their Mavo LF but only their S35 cameras?

Thats what I thought, but I saw someone on the Kinefinity forum who used the speed booster with a mamiya 645 lens. This is cool, as I know many canon lenses cover far more than the 35mm standard sensor. I have been testing the fuji gfx and almost all my lenses cover that sensor.

• 4 weeks later...

I totally agree with what Paul said, keep in mind that's a full frame 6k camera sub 20 000 $ ready To shoot. 

Only Sony venice and red monstro vv offer that if I'm correct and at a way higher price tag... Like really higher !  I looooove it really. It's so tiny and powerfull, just crazy. Regular ssd's are, usable, low light capable, various mounts with eND, nice color science, and tons of things that are incredible for this size and price.

I made a long review with table of contents for french speaking people here : 

On 3/6/2019 at 2:42 PM, ykstagram said:

I totally agree with what Paul said, keep in mind that's a full frame 6k camera sub 20 000 $ ready To shoot. 

Only Sony venice and red monstro vv offer that if I'm correct and at a way higher price tag... Like really higher !  I looooove it really. It's so tiny and powerfull, just crazy. Regular ssd's are, usable, low light capable, various mounts with eND, nice color science, and tons of things that are incredible for this size and price.

You're forgetting the ARRI ALEXA LF

Which also costs waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more!

Well you can add a speedbooster to the ump(the guy is charging 1500€ though, so def way too much, hoping somebody else steps in and at least halves that price otherwise I will stay at S35), and then you also get a full frame ump at a lesser costs then the mavo lf(besides crazy high iso's, and smaller size). Anyhows I am not touching kinefinity at these prices, risk is also too high warranty and support wise. 

• Super Members

The coolest footage from the Mavo Ive seen is definitely the tests with the Kipon Medium Format Speedbooster. Kipon is supporting this guy who is working on shooting a film (can't remember if it was a feature) using only MF glass and the reducer.

BTW, I asked if he (Kipon) could try to hook me up with a loaner of the Mavo, since he and the Kinefinity owner are friendly. I doubt me and my viewers are their target audience, but it doesn't hurt to ask :)

10 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

The coolest footage from the Mavo Ive seen is definitely the tests with the Kipon Medium Format Speedbooster. Kipon is supporting this guy who is working on shooting a film (can't remember if it was a feature) using only MF glass and the reducer.

[instagram.com link]

Very interesting to see the Kipon MF focal reducer combined with the Mavo LF!  Is there any footage available?

As nice as it is to see the Kipon-MF/Mavo-LF combo, I must say that the car mount rig shown Instagram link is "ugly" (in grip parlance) and that the motorcycle/ratchet strap stretched on the edge of the car window is alarming, as is the lack of a lens support for the MF lens with the Kipon focal reducer and the Kinefinity E-mount adapter.

I hope that they at least attached a lens support for that rig before they drove over any bumps.

On 3/7/2019 at 10:47 PM, Mattias Burling said:

BTW, I asked if he (Kipon) could try to hook me up with a loaner of the Mavo, since he and the Kinefinity owner are friendly. I doubt me and my viewers are their target audience, but it doesn't hurt to ask :)

I hope you get a loaner! As you always do such great reviews. 

13 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Speaking of rigs, this is just about an endless page of them plugging Movcam. These is some GAS on that page for sure.

https://www.instagram.com/movcam/

Well d'oh! Because that is the company insta account

• Super Members
On 3/8/2019 at 12:50 PM, IronFilm said:

I hope you get a loaner! As you always do such great reviews. 

Looks like it's happening.

Great review on the other hand.. I will try my best but I haven't shot a cinema camera for a while :)

It will at least be medium format because I can't put the Baveyes down for a minute. Been using it at least a little for each session I've done since getting it.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know how to speak German?

On 3/5/2019 at 7:42 PM, ykstagram said:

I made a long review with table of contents for french speaking people here : 

I think what you are saying is that the max iso of the Kinefinity Mavo LF is 8000 ISO?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't really posted in this group much for awhile, but the launch film I created for the Mavo LF just dropped today. (It was playing at the Kinefinity booths at NAB&CineGear but it finally came online today). Article I wrote on NoFilmSchool but the film's more important - took me about a year, ha. I've always wanted to create something vaguely sci-fi. Happy to answer any technical questions, too. Cheers.

1 hour ago, Raafi Rivero said:

I haven't really posted in this group much for awhile, but the launch film I created for the Mavo LF just dropped today. (It was playing at the Kinefinity booths at NAB&CineGear but it finally came online today). Article I wrote on NoFilmSchool but the film's more important - took me about a year, ha. I've always wanted to create something vaguely sci-fi. Happy to answer any technical questions, too. Cheers.

Looks great, well done :).

I would love to see some side by side footage with other cameras (like scarlet-w, c300 ii, the upcoming F6, ump,...) If you have any or are planning to do some.