New iPad Pro as External Monitor?

Jonesy Jones

With the addition of USB C, does that mean we can finally connect to a camera? There were at least two images during the presentation of the iPad Pro connected to a DSLR. 

The P4K has USB-C. Can they talk to each other? Even if the Pro can't be a live monitor, it'd be awesome to be able to view .braw file dailies from the P4K on an iPad in the field, especially if you are somewhat remote. 

Thoughts?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Its a good question. We do know that even with usb-c you wont be able to add external storage devices to transfer files - so I am guessing the answer is no. The current ipad pro is kind of frustrating because I cant transfer video files off my Sony even with the sd card reader because the ipad doesnt like Sony's file structure

• Super Members

The only thing Apple seem keen on you using as an input source on the iPad is your credit card number for the app store so I doubt there will be anything new beyond the usual camera control apps over WIFI like Panasonic etc.

For the Pocket4K there is actually a workaround for them not having a similar app by using a Teradek Vidiu encoder or the cheap Chinese versions of it which convert HDMI from the camera into a live stream which you can then view on your iPad using VLC or a similar app. The beauty of doing it like that is that you can have more than one client connection so multiple people can monitor it if you need to distribute it around a set. 

The non-beauty aspect of it is that its not cheap if you use the Teradek one and somewhat clunky if you use the cheap Chinese ones.

Although, as it runs on Android tablets as well, you can probably get the Teradek and a tablet for roughly the same price as the iPad ;) 

21 minutes ago, Robert Collins said:

The current ipad pro is kind of frustrating because I cant transfer video files off my Sony even with the sd card reader because the ipad doesnt like Sony's file structure

I think the trick is to use the camera as a very expensive SD card reader and connect via USB

• Super Members
12 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

The Teradek Vidiu encoder  are not terrible used.

https://www.amazon.com/Teradek-10-0245-VidiU-Camera-Top-Encoder/dp/B00CPYXT02

Another model to keep an eye out for used is the Teradek Clip. 

It was primarily intended for drones so it is quite a lot smaller and also usually cheaper as well but they don't come up on eBay that often.

3 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

With the addition of USB C, does that mean we can finally connect to a camera? There were at least two images during the presentation of the iPad Pro connected to a DSLR. 

The P4K has USB-C. Can they talk to each other? Even if the Pro can't be a live monitor, it'd be awesome to be able to view .braw file dailies from the P4K on an iPad in the field, especially if you are somewhat remote. 

Thoughts?

If P4K will allow output via USB-C then it's possible.

The commercial has the iPad pro directly connected to a 5D3 (without even a dongle ?) which of course is BS:

EOS-R, A73, Z6/Z7 etc however do have USB-C so it woud be interesting to see what could be done there. I'm assuming it's just JPG transfer, but hopefully also DNG/MOV/MP4.

External monitoring would be a dream (Atomos should maybe look into an app) but I'm sure that isn't going to be the case yet.

What about Samsung S9+??!! It is 6.2" and when I connect it with my USB C monitor it shows image alright.

That would be amazing, and personally more useful than carrying a tablet around, plus the Samsung has class leading OLED screen with highest output in nits currently.

11 hours ago, Kisaha said:

What about Samsung S9+??!! It is 6.2" and when I connect it with my USB C monitor it shows image alright.

That would be amazing, and personally more useful than carrying a tablet around, plus the Samsung has class leading OLED screen with highest output in nits currently.

If we could use our Android devices as external monitors, I'd be more than pleased. 

However, I don't know any solution that works. 

LukiLink is a major disappointment, but kudos to them for even trying to do something. 

Like I said in other thread, iOS users at least have the FieldMonitor app, which is a really neat thing. 

• Super Members
3 hours ago, heart0less said:

If we could use our Android devices as external monitors, I'd be more than pleased. 

However, I don't know any solution that works. 

LukiLink is a major disappointment, but kudos to them for even trying to do something. 

Like I said in other thread, iOS users at least have the FieldMonitor app, which is a really neat thing. 

The Febon product works and is about $180.

If you look on their YouTube channel you will also find tests of it's latency, which is actually pretty good.

There are also some other alternatives that are primarily intended for game capture but also some low cost generic ones.

If you google "Android HDMI UVC" then you'll get some options.

Basically, if the device is UVC compliant (and your Android device supports UVC) then it will show up as a video input source in monitor apps such as CameraFi .

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Castorp said:

Would love a future setup where one could use the Mac Mini, with keyboard and mouse and the iPad Pro as screen. 

Although DuetDisplay is primarily pitched at using your iPad (or iPhone) as an extension monitor to your Mac, it can actually be used as the primary monitor to do what you are after.

There was an issue with one of the more recent OSX updates that stopped it working but I believe they have updated it recently to resolve it.

https://www.duetdisplay.com/#

16 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Although DuetDisplay is primarily pitched at using your iPad (or iPhone) as an extension monitor to your Mac, it can actually be used as the primary monitor to do what you are after.

There was an issue with one of the more recent OSX updates that stopped it working but I believe they have updated it recently to resolve it.

https://www.duetdisplay.com/#

AND, Duet Display works great on PC also as another monitor.

I use my 10.5" iPad Pro sometimes for my audio monitor apps to keep the main display less busy.