GH4 color profiles

@yan_berthemy_photography

Hi there, I'm new in this forum, 

I am currently using my GH4 for filmmaking stuff, music videos, weddings etc. 

I was wondering, what color profile do you guys use and what are the best profiles for an accurate and cinematic look.

I have set CINE-D as: 0;-2;0;-5;0; Luminance: 0-255; Master Pd: 0

are these settings ok?

I was also wondering if the following settings were ok:

CINE-D everything -5; Luminance: 0-255; Master Pd: 0

Also, for focus stuff, which one should I use?

I feel very lost about color profiles since I've upgraded to a GH4.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Don't bother using auto focus. It really doesn't work.

I would not set anything to -5 other then noise reduction and sharpness(depending on your taste). -5 Sharpness will definitely give you the most organic image. -5 noise reduction will help reduce ghosting and other NR artifacts. However if you need a quick turn around noise reduction can definitely be helpful. By turn around I mean if you don't want to spend much time editing or rendering.

I'd leave hue, saturation, contrast at 0. Pushing it down to -5 will take away information that you won't be able to get back in post. It sounds like a good idea(flatter image) but it really isn't for limited 8 bit codecs.

CineD defiantly gives you the most dynamic range.
Portrait is definitely nice for skin tones and Natural gives nice color if you don't want to edit at all.

Again for all the profiles I'd leave everything at 0 except sharpness and NR to your taste.

The GH4 is a great camera tho. Feels great in the hands, light, and god like battery life.

The first Cine Like D profile should work great, good all arounder.  The only adjustment I would say is to maybe bring the saturation down to -2, helps prevent color clipping, especially in the red channel. 

Another good profile for day usage is:
Natural, contrast -2, sharpness -5, NR -5, Saturation -1, and a +1 on the shadow curve. 

It is pretty much the same dynamic range as Cine like D, but with better color and highlight roll off.  Just DON'T use it in low light, Natural applies some kind of weird noise reduction even with NR all the way down. 

10 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Don't bother using auto focus. It really doesn't work.

I would not set anything to -5 other then noise reduction and sharpness(depending on your taste). -5 Sharpness will definitely give you the most organic image. -5 noise reduction will help reduce ghosting and other NR artifacts. However if you need a quick turn around noise reduction can definitely be helpful. By turn around I mean if you don't want to spend much time editing or rendering.

I'd leave hue, saturation, contrast at 0. Pushing it down to -5 will take away information that you won't be able to get back in post. It sounds like a good idea(flatter image) but it really isn't for limited 8 bit codecs.

CineD defiantly gives you the most dynamic range.
Portrait is definitely nice for skin tones and Natural gives nice color if you don't want to edit at all.

Again for all the profiles I'd leave everything at 0 except sharpness and NR to your taste.

The GH4 is a great camera tho. Feels great in the hands, light, and god like battery life.

Ok, thanks a lot for this very fast answer, 

So, for a very sweet and flat color profile, do I need to reduce the noise reduction to -5 and sharpness to -5?

Should I switch the saturation to -2 helps prevent colorclipping, especially in the red channel? Mentioned by

@Benjamin Hilton

Thanks.

5 hours ago, @yan_berthemy_photography said:

Ok, thanks a lot for this very fast answer, 

So, for a very sweet and flat color profile, do I need to reduce the noise reduction to -5 and sharpness to -5?

Should I switch the saturation to -2 helps prevent colorclipping, especially in the red channel? Mentioned by

@Benjamin Hilton

Thanks.

Yeah that could be a good idea. Noise reduction and sharpness won't effect how flat the image is.

On 10/31/2018 at 6:07 PM, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah that could be a good idea. Noise reduction and sharpness won't effect how flat the image is.

Well, I have tested this color profile and looks to much flat to me, I will use 0;-2;0;-5;-2 with CINE-D and Portrait for supertone.

Thanks a lot for the help.

14 hours ago, gelaxstudio said:

Does someone know how to create a web live workflow by using GH4 or GH5?

Hi @gelaxstudio

You can simply do that through an HDMI output screen monitor. You can also use the Panasonic image app in the app store/play store, to see in live (use your phone/tablet) as a monitor.

Unfortunately, there are no others ways. You can do server delivery, so each time you make a video or take a picture, it is directly sent to a server which will be stocked in your computer.

Hope this helped.

9 hours ago, @yan_berthemy_photography said:

Hi @gelaxstudio

You can simply do that through an HDMI output screen monitor. You can also use the Panasonic image app in the app store/play store, to see in live (use your phone/tablet) as a monitor.

Unfortunately, there are no others ways. You can do server delivery, so each time you make a video or take a picture, it is directly sent to a server which will be stocked in your computer.

Hope this helped.

Thank you so much