New Mac Minis

Jordan Lee

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The best news about this? It will make the older Mac Mini models even cheaper on eBay.

As sometimes I toy with the idea of buying an older Mac Mini (modded to 12V DC) to use with BoomRecorder for a sound cart set up.

https://jwsoundgroup.net/index.php?/topic/29911-is-there-anything-like-metacorder-or-boomrecorder-but-for-windows-or-linux/

Looked at the mini for a hot second, but don't think it would be a good fit in the long run.  At least not for my main editing chair.  My wife does mostly rough cut editing though, so it would work well enough for that.  

I'm tempted with an alternative that seem a better bet for me: building out a hackintosh.  

I already have a decent PC with 3 monitors, so all I'd do (if I commit to switching over to FCPX) would be to swap out my current GPU for the AMD brand.  All I'm seeing makes the mackintosh install process look rather straightforward...and it's more hardware flexible and affordable to get a good performing computer running OS X in this way.

If I don't hop onto FCPX I can forgo the AMD and stick with the NVIDIA GPU, but I'm getting really weary of Premiere these days.

6 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Why don't you go for a PC. Much cheaper for same or better performance, more software/plugins/addins available. You can repair it yourself when hardware breaks down. 

Sadly BoomRecorder only runs on OSX, not Windows. 

The problem of the new Mac Mini it's that once you put 16Gb RAM and 512Gb SSD (minimum 2018 standards) and you add a eGPU, it costs the same as an iMac, but with the iMac you get a nice monitor. The only Mac Mini advantage is transportability, if you need to have something you can throw in your backpack. 

2 years ago or so, I was still using a 2012 Mac Mini with 16gb ram, editing in FCP and programming iOS apps. It was quick for its size. I used to put it in my backpack and just hook it up to a monitor at home or at work. Until the new OS rolled in (I think it was Sierra) and after the last update it suddenly slowed down significantly. If the new mac minis are upgradeable like the 2012 was, I think it can be used as a workstation. Unless you want to stay with a Mac,  a Hackintosh or Windows in a mini ITX is a better choice.

Actually, I am really hoping that Apple is going to create FCPX for iOS, since FCPX is about the only reason why I still have my 2011 Macbook (which is kind of unusable even with 4k proxies)..

Now with this here:

23 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Although DuetDisplay is primarily pitched at using your iPad (or iPhone) as an extension monitor to your Mac, it can actually be used as the primary monitor to do what you are after.

There was an issue with one of the more recent OSX updates that stopped it working but I believe they have updated it recently to resolve it.

https://www.duetdisplay.com/#

I am really wondering whether this would be a kind of intermin solution... Getting an ipad pro and doing everything else except editing with it. Until FCPX isnt available for iOS I could simply use the ipad as a monitor for the Mini... any thoughts? afaik the eGPU solution doesnt really help FCPX.. is the Intel GPU any good or will i experience slow editing all the time?

If you are planning to get the mac mini for video editing you should definitely consider pairing it with an eGPU otherwise normal MacBook Pro probably will do the job better!

On 10/31/2018 at 4:52 PM, fuzzynormal said:

Looked at the mini for a hot second, but don't think it would be a good fit in the long run.  At least not for my main editing chair.  My wife does mostly rough cut editing though, so it would work well enough for that.  

I'm tempted with an alternative that seem a better bet for me: building out a hackintosh.  

I already have a decent PC with 3 monitors, so all I'd do (if I commit to switching over to FCPX) would be to swap out my current GPU for the AMD brand.  All I'm seeing makes the mackintosh install process look rather straightforward...and it's more hardware flexible and affordable to get a good performing computer running OS X in this way.

If I don't hop onto FCPX I can forgo the AMD and stick with the NVIDIA GPU, but I'm getting really weary of Premiere these days.

I've build a Hickintosh with an AMD VEGA 56. BruceX benchmark result is roughly around 12-13 seconds.

43 minutes ago, jase said:

Actually, I am really hoping that Apple is going to create FCPX for iOS, since FCPX is about the only reason why I still have my 2011 Macbook (which is kind of unusable even with 4k proxies)..

Now with this here:

I am really wondering whether this would be a kind of intermin solution... Getting an ipad pro and doing everything else except editing with it. Until FCPX isnt available for iOS I could simply use the ipad as a monitor for the Mini... any thoughts? afaik the eGPU solution doesnt really help FCPX.. is the Intel GPU any good or will i experience slow editing all the time?

I have used the Duet app but unfortunately it was not reliable and smooth!

4 hours ago, jase said:

Now with this here:

Tried an Ipad with a Macbook pro with Duet Display and it works. So using it with the Mini will work but it's not automatic when you hook up the ipad into the computer so I think you'll still need an external monitor just to set up Duet Display connection

6 hours ago, Samin said:

an AMD VEGA 56. BruceX benchmark result is roughly around 12-13 seconds.

What's the context?  Assuming this is some sort of standardized result, but where does it fall on it's scale?

edit:  never mind.  Did an internet search and got info from a 5  year old blog post.  https://blog.alex4d.com/2013/10/30/brucex-a-new-fcpx-benchmark/

brucex-final-cut-pro-x-benchmark2.png