Blackmagic Pocket 4K media & power thread -- the best alternatives

Emanuel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've had one of these for a while 

https://www.atomos.com/power-station

It can power the camera via the included dummy LP-E6 battery or possibly from the USB outlet? It will also power an EVF or Ext monitor. It's a bit big and awkward though and I never found a very satisfactory way of using it with my other cameras without it going on a fully rigged rod system. For this reason I'm just going to buy more LP-E6 batteries for my P4k.

8 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

For this reason I'm just going to buy more LP-E6 batteries for my P4k.

When they call it a 'true digital film camera', what they mean is that you need to always watch the capacity and reload it often.

Only with batteries instead of film.

• Super Members

Two power options turned up today, the RAVPower twin battery pack and charger and the £35 EXPro battery pack and dummy battery set.

I need to fully charge everything but quick reaction is the RAVPowers activate the % battery indicator (unlike BM's own one !) and the EXPro does too.

However, the EXPro went very quickly from 39% down to 0% despite showing 3 out of 4 bars on the battery pack.

As I say this is just a preliminary "does it power up at all test" so don't read too much into that at this stage because the power bank was tested as is when it come out of the box.

I'll update in a few days when I get back from this trip and can test things properly.

20181030_132255.thumb.jpg.ad296fe1703e90e1750014730a843ef4.jpg

Taken from the main P4K thread:

https://tilta.com/2018/10/29/first-look-at-the-camera-cage-for-bmpcc-4k/

Tilta are going to release a V-mount base to sit under the camera.

They're also releasing a grip to hold Sony batteries and another thing for Sony batteries to sit under the camera.

@BTM_Pix - Is it not better to trust the power bank's LEDs over the BMD % ? Let it run past 0% and see if the power bank gets down to 1 light, or if the camera shuts off before then.

• Super Members
19 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

@BTM_Pix - Is it not better to trust the power bank's LEDs over the BMD % ? Let it run past 0% and see if the power bank gets down to 1 light, or if the camera shuts off before then.

Sorry, when I said 0% I meant 0% and it switched Off with 3 bars still showing on the power bank.

Seems to be a global conspiracy of lies regarding power indicators !

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Two power options turned up today, the RAVPower twin battery pack and charger and the £35 EXPro battery pack and dummy battery set.

I need to fully charge everything but quick reaction is the RAVPowers activate the % battery indicator (unlike BM's own one !) and the EXPro does too.

However, the EXPro went very quickly from 39% down to 0% despite showing 3 out of 4 bars on the battery pack.

As I say this is just a preliminary "does it power up at all test" so don't read too much into that at this stage because the power bank was tested as is when it come out of the box.

I'll update in a few days when I get back from this trip and can test things properly.

20181030_132255.thumb.jpg.ad296fe1703e90e1750014730a843ef4.jpg

This EXPro reminds me the ones we were using with Sony cameras. I am not sure if they are exactly the same brand, or re-branded, but they were very unreliable, going from 3 dots to no battery, and after a year or so, they started acting up, loosing more power quickly e.t.c I wouldn't trust them much. I hated they Sony cameras we were using (I was working for that company until recently), and those power banks were part of the problem too. Heavy as well.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

This EXPro reminds me the ones we were using with Sony cameras. I am not sure if they are exactly the same brand, or re-branded, but they were very unreliable, going from 3 dots to no battery, and after a year or so, they started acting up, loosing more power quickly e.t.c I wouldn't trust them much. I hated they Sony cameras we were using (I was working for that company until recently), and those power banks were part of the problem too. Heavy as well.

Yeah, I'm not expecting great things of it.

I was looking for a dummy battery and this was only a few quid dearer so I figured the worst case scenario was it would be a cheap power bank for less strenuous charging tasks!

The dummy battery will be pressed into use with the cheap SmallRig Sony F adapter when I get back.

• Administrators

Although already posted in the other thread, seems interesting to add it here on topic as well:

image.png.54bab93c7f76979fdd67168721b77233.png

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00S5FN0UO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_ARn1Bb6FDE4NS

image.png.6ff99fa88e07c9d1ab8a0c5b88b07552.png

image.thumb.png.9a080ad046076dbcdfe07b41904a52ed.png

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Adapter-Replacement-Coupler-Battery-Cameras-ACK-E6-Dual-USB/dp/B07C3FP2FL/

Some other useful information:

Some other V-mount plate:

https://www.indiproco.com/v-mount-battery-mounting-plates-with-15mm-rod-system/v-mount-plate-to-canon-lp-e6-dummy-battery/

And now chargers:

(posted earlier by BTM_Pix now with link)

https://www.ravpower.com/ravpower-lpe6-camera-battery-charger-2000mah.html

&

https://www.tomtop.com/pt/p-d4656-1us.html

Some other one by courtesy of BTM_Pix:

Once here by the way, last but not least, affordable cage solutions to accessorize it on budget:

image.thumb.png.f2c55e21c27543658b944e6f7124e401.png

https://www.smallrig.com/search.php?search_query=pocket+4k

On 10/30/2018 at 1:53 PM, BTM_Pix said:

£35 EXPro battery pack and dummy battery

I found an old dummy battery that looked the same as the one in your bundle and I can plug it into my swit batteries for my LS300. I don’t know if you also have these for your JVC, but I think they’ll run a lot longer than the battery pack you have. 

• Super Members
15 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

I found an old dummy battery that looked the same as the one in your bundle and I can plug it into my swit batteries for my LS300. I don’t know if you also have these for your JVC, but I think they’ll run a lot longer than the battery pack you have. 

I think 6 AA batteries would run longer than the battery pack based on that initial test.

I don't have those swit ones for the LS300 but I know the ones you mean.

When I get back home on Friday, I'm going to plug the dummy battery into the SmallRig Sony adapter one in the post above as I have a few of them kicking round which I use to power various things.

If it helps anyone, I've had a dummy battery plugged into one of these and I've left the camera recording. So far I've got 43 minutes on the card and the camera still says 7v and 2 LEDs light up on the battery. So I imagine I could get at least another 30 minutes from it, possibly even more - There's 46 minutes left on the card, so we'll see which one gets used up first.

EDIT:  Couple of these will easily get you (me) through the day. Interestingly, although the camera shut its self down, my recording is all there and not corrupt. Total run time is 1:09:05 

The camera and card aren't even that hot, very slightly warm, I guess having the battery door off helped a little.

image.thumb.png.0cf58d09f1df0febebbe2e0bd70c4d2e.png

1 hour ago, Anaconda_ said:

If it helps anyone, I've had a dummy battery plugged into one of these and I've left the camera recording. So far I've got 43 minutes on the card and the camera still says 7v and 2 LEDs light up on the battery. So I imagine I could get at least another 30 minutes from it, possibly even more - There's 46 minutes left on the card, so we'll see which one gets used up first.

EDIT:  Couple of these will easily get you (me) through the day. Interestingly, although the camera shut its self down, my recording is all there and not corrupt. Total run time is 1:09:05 

The camera and card aren't even that hot, very slightly warm, I guess having the battery door off helped a little.

image.thumb.png.0cf58d09f1df0febebbe2e0bd70c4d2e.png

The camera shuts off with two LEDs on the battery still on? 

With the 47Wh battery that you're using, I was hopping that it should get at least 2 hours of record time. I am working on a similar solution but instead use this  and the Blackmagic DC power pack when ever I can get one and run power via the 12VDC and still have my canon LP-E6 battery in the camera too.