Blackmagic Pocket 4K media & power thread -- the best alternatives

Emanuel

• Super Members
On 12/26/2019 at 10:22 PM, Yannick Willox said:

In the meantime I got this BatPower EX7D 98Wh.

Thanks for this.

Its a very versatile solution as well being able to power laptops too. I'd be tempted by the higher capacity version but would need to get 2 of these instead to keep within the restrictions for flying.

What is the recharge time ?

30 minutes ago, Yannick Willox said:

That is a reallly bad solution, only 7.4v. Extended use will probably destroy the camera. My solution above stays above 14.5 V all the time.

The battery itself is only 7.4v so I wouldn't be powering it directly from that as he was showing either but that version of the SmallRig plate he is mounting it on does then bump the output to 12v to the camera.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Thanks for this.

Its a very versatile solution as well being able to power laptops too. I'd be tempted by the higher capacity version but would need to get 2 of these instead to keep within the restrictions for flying.

What is the recharge time ?

The battery itself is only 7.4v so I wouldn't be powering it directly from that as he was showing either but that version of the SmallRig plate he is mounting it on does then bump the output to 12v to the camera.

Recharge is 3h. 
in the youtube vid he was connecting the npf straight to the camera. I thought he was just using the plate as an attachment. The main question remains if the smallrig plate does not drop below 10.8v under power draw.

the thing i really like about this batpower is the moment it stops, the voltage drop below 14.5v is less then a second, probably it just switches off instantaneously and the p4k takes a few seconds for the indication to adjust to the internal voltage.

• Super Members
21 minutes ago, Yannick Willox said:

Recharge is 3h. 
in the youtube vid he was connecting the npf straight to the camera. I thought he was just using the plate as an attachment. The main question remains if the smallrig plate does not drop below 10.8v under power draw.

the thing i really like about this batpower is the moment it stops, the voltage drop below 14.5v is less then a second, probably it just switches off instantaneously and the p4k takes a few seconds for the indication to adjust to the internal voltage.

Thats a good recharge time, much better than my NPFs. Although thats possibly more to do with me not buying a decent charger for them!

I think he was just showing that you can power it directly if you want. He was certainly using the plate with the lower capacity NPFs.

I've had no problem personally with my SmallRig plate dropping on my P4K even when using servo zoom lenses on it but my main bugbear is the recharge time of NPFs and this certainly addresses that.

Indeed, charging time is almost 2x faster than useful time with the p4k.

from the website specs Recharges in around 2.5-3.0 hours full charge via the BatPower Adapter, 8-12 hours full charge from a 5V Micro USB adapter/charger.

I only charged it 3x for now, but it does indicate 4/4 leds charge after only 2h. It would seem that the last 1h is to get the last few drops in ... The charger that comes with it is 68W.

The 148Wh model can be taken on-flight, but not without clearance from the airline company. Maybe you could check, as it has (seemingly !) the same dimensions (maybe you should check that one too ...)

• Super Members
34 minutes ago, Yannick Willox said:

The 148Wh model can be taken on-flight, but not without clearance from the airline company. Maybe you could check, as it has (seemingly !) the same dimensions (maybe you should check that one too ...)

Surely you aren't suggesting I buy one of each and swap the cases and just take the higher capacity one on trips in its cunning disguise as the lower capacity airline legal one are you?

;) 

• 5 weeks later...

I don't know if I can add anything useful here but this is my set up and I can run a full day on 3 Sony batteries. I also use the black 1TB T5's for consistent look.

I LOVE this set up!

(don't mind the apple plug, I took this for my instagram back in december for my Instagram)

(Also, I know the cog is on the zoom, so no need to point that out 😂)

671EFC2C-8051-45C7-B20C-04459D87C579.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...