Blackmagic Pocket 4K media & power thread -- the best alternatives

Emanuel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
11 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

Its asking me to log in

What is it?

EDIT>>>

I've just put "WEIP" (which is the brand of the connector) into the search bar at aliexpress and its returned a lot of products featuring ladies who presumably must be riding horses. In their lingerie.

EDIT 2>>>

If it is this product though, then I think its a winner.

This is exactly what I'm going to use my cable kit for as I already have a few of the battery mounts that are included in this kit.

The curly version of the cable is actually a better solution too.

248988805_ScreenShot2018-11-22at13_22_29.thumb.png.13fb5a66e8348db96633f2fde85b5316.png

Link to it here

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC-12V-NP-F-Battery-Power-Supply-System-Mount-Adapter-Plate-Holder-for-BMCC-BMPCC-4K/32955311989.html

I`ve got the atomos power staion that I kinda never used that much since the mirroless days....Today I wanted to use it with the OG bmpcc and found out that it outputs less that 10v, 7.2-8.something.

Would this work if I used a dummy battery with the OG pocket and the 4k?

• Super Members

The official cable pack finally showed up.

The barrel connector adapter works fine with the cheap SmallRig Sony battery adapter that many people may have from the original Pocket and BMCC days.

There are a myriad ways to mount the adapter to any sort of rig you have or even directly onto the 1/4" 20 mount on the top of the camera as I've done here.

BatterySled.thumb.jpg.ee3c60f786fa4015ecefc01b8663d448.jpg

Tested the Dtap with a V mount battery and that is fine too for anyone looking for that type of solution.

The only thing I would say is that I'm probably going to put some heat shrink on the cables as on my ones at least the cables aren't a particularly snug fit into the connector and I'm not sure how they would get on long term with repeated insertion and removal.

• Super Members
12 minutes ago, Dan Wake said:

Thx, there is not something that we can stamp by our own? Like a free 3D print project?

What is it exactly that you want to put in the box?

The battery plate I'm using is £10 from Amazon.

Printing something from scratch and including the circuit to deliver the right voltage for the camera is likely to cost more in materials let alone effort ?

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

What is it exactly that you want to put in the box?

The battery plate I'm using is £10 from Amazon.

Printing something from scratch and including the circuit to deliver the right voltage for the camera is likely to cost more in materials let alone effort ?

hi can you post a link of your battery plate please?

for example would be nice to 3D print a shell to protect those adapters from unwanted movements that may detach battery from the plate or cabes, the ssd, and protect from humidity/very first drops of rain. make it much more ergonomics and looking more solid and professional.

we have to choose around which adapter/battery/ssd to build the shell and find the right design which is demanding being strong structure and goods looking. if we unite our ideas we can do the eoshd free 3D stamp project wee need volunteers someone who can design the shell, we need people who stamp and test the prototypes

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, Dan Wake said:

hi can you post a link of your battery plate please?

for example would be nice to 3D print a shell to protect those adapters from unwanted movements that may detach battery from the plate or cabes, the ssd, and protect from humidity/very first drops of rain. make it much more ergonomics and looking more solid and professional.

we have to choose around which adapter/battery/ssd to build the shell and find the right design which is demanding being strong structure and goods looking. if we unite our ideas we can do the eoshd free 3D stamp project wee need volunteers someone who can design the shell, we need people who stamp and test the prototypes

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0087BV56W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_iyOaCb5Z3CMHJ

The battery locks into the holder so is secure.

The camera end is on a locking connector so is secure that end. You could lock the barrel at the battery plate end quite easily.

Its worth bearing in mind that the external battery is also simultaneously charging the internal battery so you do also have a backup from that point of view.

You could fabricate a simple barn type roof to cover it if you wanted to with regard to keeping the elements out.

Although I have to say that if you are operating the camera in those sort of conditions then the camera is going to be more of a problem than the battery.

Again though, I would repeat that if you want to make something from scratch, then you would also need to have some circuitry in there so you are going to have to factor someone in to design that aspect as well.

10 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0087BV56W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_iyOaCb5Z3CMHJ

The battery locks into the holder so is secure.

The camera end is on a locking connector so is secure that end. You could lock the barrel at the battery plate end quite easily.

Its worth bearing in mind that the external battery is also simultaneously charging the internal battery so you do also have a backup from that point of view.

You could fabricate a simple barn type roof to cover it if you wanted to with regard to keeping the elements out.

Although I have to say that if you are operating the camera in those sort of conditions then the camera is going to be more of a problem than the battery.

Again though, I would repeat that if you want to make something from scratch, then you would also need to have some circuitry in there so you are going to have to factor someone in to design that aspect as well.

thx for the link, yes I'm not interested to make something from scratch I just wish to see te best solution to keep togheter external HDD and battery pack.

if I need to use a gimbal which is it the best configuration to keep everything togheter on the camera for example?

• Super Members
10 hours ago, Dan Wake said:

thx for the link, yes I'm not interested to make something from scratch I just wish to see te best solution to keep togheter external HDD and battery pack.

if I need to use a gimbal which is it the best configuration to keep everything togheter on the camera for example?

Its a difficult question to answer because it will depend on the gimbal you are using in terms of what restrictions it may have with regard to where you can mount the camera itself, which in turn may have implications with regard to the restrictions for where you can mount anything else to it.

The Pocket 4K seems to be presenting some challenges with regard to gimbals so I would recommend asking in the gimbal thread what people are doing with specific gimbals regarding mounting external power and SSDs.

Of course, with both external power and the SSD being on cables, it would also be possible to mount them off the camera and on the gimbal handle itself or a side mount to it so there should always be an option even if mounting it to the camera proves impractical/impossible due to physical restrictions or balance complications.

As I say, have a look in the gimbal thread at what people are doing as if you are committed to using it on a gimbal then their experiences will give you the right steer not only about power and SSD mounting options but also, due to the Pocket 4K being a bit of a challenge with regard to gimbals, probably about which actual gimbal to get for it in the first place.

My general battery solution has been this....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWTY96G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ITs looks just like the classic Juicebox battery here but it costs $40 Less. and comes with many adapters.

https://www.amazon.com/Juicebox-Battery-Blackmagic-Cameras-Production/dp/B073BMTFFJ/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1544257154&sr=1-3&keywords=juice+box+battery

I connected it with the P4k Dc cable pack.

it seems to work pretty good I haven't used it till it died yet but Powered my p4k and my SmallHD DP4 together for about an hour and it dropped to around 66% doesn't seem bad considering the DP4 is a power hog in my opinion.

The voltage meter works very well. 

I also came across this

https://www.amazon.com/XTPower-MP-50000-Power-Bank-Notebooks/dp/B00N4XK7RG/ref=lp_9455594011_1_7?srs=9455594011&ie=UTF8&qid=1544257835&sr=8-7

its seems to be the same thing but newer and 60% battery more life than the older ones above.   but at $200 your already flirting with Vmount territory.   

7 hours ago, Juxx989 said:

My general battery solution has been this....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XWTY96G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ITs looks just like the classic Juicebox battery here but it costs $40 Less. and comes with many adapters.

https://www.amazon.com/Juicebox-Battery-Blackmagic-Cameras-Production/dp/B073BMTFFJ/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1544257154&sr=1-3&keywords=juice+box+battery

I connected it with the P4k Dc cable pack.

it seems to work pretty good I haven't used it till it died yet but Powered my p4k and my SmallHD DP4 together for about an hour and it dropped to around 66% doesn't seem bad considering the DP4 is a power hog in my opinion.

The voltage meter works very well. 

I also came across this

https://www.amazon.com/XTPower-MP-50000-Power-Bank-Notebooks/dp/B00N4XK7RG/ref=lp_9455594011_1_7?srs=9455594011&ie=UTF8&qid=1544257835&sr=8-7

its seems to be the same thing but newer and 60% battery more life than the older ones above.   but at $200 your already flirting with Vmount territory.   

Is there a solution for attaching it to the P4K other than velcro or zip ties? 

Also, has anyone tried powering the camera from a monitor yet like the SmallHD focus (or any one of the cheaper knock offs)? I wonder how much time you'd get out of a Sony NP powering the monitor and camera. Is a couple hours conceivable?

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2018 at 7:54 AM, Kisaha said:

My SmallHD Focus can power cameras with dummy batteries, using NP-F batteries, which I have quite a few already to power my sound equipment and lights and it could be great to have to deal with only a couple of power options, instead of more.

Hey, have you tried to power a BMPCC 4K with our SmallHD Focus yet? If so, what are the runtimes with different NPF batteries? I'm considering this solution myself! Thx