Panasonic announces 8k Camera system with Organic Sensor

hoodlum

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

That's half a year old news. We dont really now when the actual product will be on the market and what that product will look like. 

What are you talking about?   The article lists the 2 products they will come out with next year.  

8K Multipurpose Camera AK - SHB 810 is a compact, lightweight, box - type camera that uses a PL lens mount. Equipped with 8K organic sensor which will be the first in the world...

8K / 4K / HD video output is possible from the camera unit and the image processing unit AK - SHU 810 connected with optical fiber cable...

6 hours ago, hoodlum said:

What are you talking about?   The article lists the 2 products they will come out with next year.  

8K Multipurpose Camera AK - SHB 810 is a compact, lightweight, box - type camera that uses a PL lens mount. Equipped with 8K organic sensor which will be the first in the world...

8K / 4K / HD video output is possible from the camera unit and the image processing unit AK - SHU 810 connected with optical fiber cable...

Ah I see, you are right. The description of their sensor was identical to the one we got half a year ago so I thought its the same old news. Well.. it looks they are sure about their organic sensor being ready in a year which is good news, however the delay is still possible. I hope to see it in GH6 around the same time. I dont need 8k in it, 4k 120p and 6k 60p would be fine. 

So if 

On 10/28/2018 at 9:47 AM, Eric Calabros said:

"The global shutter operates only when the shutter speed is faster than 1/120"

Seems not ready for photography. Probably can't handle too much electrons

Yea, but for video its fine. I shoot most of my b-roll starting from 60p, and they can always add mechanical shutter for photo considering they already have build-in electronic ND. Don't see a problem here.

If its an Super 35 sensor size with 36mp, we can expect around 24mp for m43 sensor. Which sounds pretty reasonable.

• Administrators

Interesting that it has electronic ND on-sensor.

That's been rumoured from Panasonic.

https://www.eoshd.com/2018/09/photokina-part-3-on-sensor-nd-fujifilm-super-full-frame-announcing-eoshd-tv-and-the-eoshd-podcast/

It works by lowering the voltage to the organic film layer

Also as I think the yields will be very low and sensors will be expensive, it might come to a smaller chip system first like M43 and not full frame, which will give M43 a big advantage - 8K, global shutter, 20 stops dynamic range, electronic ND, film-like colour.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Interesting that it has electronic ND on-sensor.

That's been rumoured from Panasonic.

https://www.eoshd.com/2018/09/photokina-part-3-on-sensor-nd-fujifilm-super-full-frame-announcing-eoshd-tv-and-the-eoshd-podcast/

It works by lowering the voltage to the organic film layer

Also as I think the yields will be very low and sensors will be expensive, it might come to a smaller chip system first like M43 and not full frame, which will give M43 a big advantage - 8K, global shutter, 20 stops dynamic range, electronic ND, film-like colour.

I would think Panasonic would start with a 4k 12mp GH6s to reduce the demand on processing 8k.  There will be enough heat generated from the sensor alone. This would also further separate the GH6 from the GH6s. 

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Man, I *hope* they'll bring this thing to M43. It's a little ironic that this tech that's kept us M43 true believers faithful for years finally hits at a time when it seems Panasonic are shifting their professional push to the full frame world.

Full frame is a shark infested red ocean market. I think getting a foothold there is much riskier than leveraging their existing M43 system with incredible tech that redefines the format, but I fear their execs see dollar signs from the higher margins of a fully 'pro' L-Mount system.

30 minutes ago, hoodlum said:

I would think Panasonic would start with a 4k 12mp GH6s to reduce the demand on processing 8k.  There will be enough heat generated from the sensor alone. This would also further separate the GH6 from the GH6s. 

I doubt there'll be a GH6s. I don't believe the GH5s has been a sales success, and its existence depended on a fairly novel sensor from Sony. As a security sensor, that thing could stay on the market for years , and if Panasonic/Blackmagic aren't putting in a pre-order soon then I don't see the need for a replacement before the Tokyo Olympics (presumed GH6 launch deadline).

If the organic sensor is as wondrous as claimed, there'd be little need for a GH6s anyway.