EOS R does NOT lack sharpness in 4K - Here's proof

Andrew Reid

• Super Members
14 minutes ago, frontfocus said:

At the same time I don't get, why anyone should praise the Canon for things that it's not. This is the reason why canon gets away with a lot of awful decisions 

Any examples if things it is not but still gets praised for?

All I see is hate after cherry picking a couple specs and ignoring things it does have.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

One thing about sharpening though is on humans it is quite different from nature. You can apply much more to trees leaf etc than to a human face. Halos,edge sharpness are much more ugly on a face than on a branch or leaf. So it would be good to see these sharpening test on a human figure.

3 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Andrew? Are you sure you're a reader of him? Humm... Andrew is an enthusiastic camera observer. The best quality of his work as reviewer IMO is to be as much brand agnostic as me ; ) Reason why I am here BTW : -)

He is brand agnostic, but like many others here there is still an inherent bias towards Canon because at the end of the day, they put out a nice image and nice bodies even if they fail in many technical areas.

Like a few others here, I don't care for sharpness, so it really doesn't matter to me. BUT if people are on the subject of comparing sharpness - which is not a very subjective issue - then people should talk factually.

If you actually look at the tif images at 100% (not even 400%), the sharpened EOS R image clearly has a lot of sharpening artefacts which the XT3 doesn't have. And it would only be more apparent if we saw the moving image.  So no, the XT3 is not digitally sharpened (or not to a noticeable amount anyway). The Canon 4k image is softer than most others but its sharp enough. However, its a real shame that the image is only just sharp enough, despite the huge crop and low readout speed. 

Ultimately I think it's a shame to discredit Max Yuryev when he's put out footage, which, sharpened or not, you can clearly see the EOS R has less detail. It's not at all disputable. 

4kimagecom.thumb.JPG.308bc02b6310f2a6977d59e32b18a886.JPG

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, Inazuma said:

He is brand agnostic, but like many others here there is still an inherent bias towards Canon because at the end of the day, they put out a nice image and nice bodies even if they fail in many technical areas.

I am biased to Canon LOL. I have heard it all now *mic drop*

Yes indeed @Andrew Reid that's funny, because it is quite the opposite. Take a shot on this one here as for instance:

"This company should go bankrupt."

"This company is a joke."

Does this make any sense?

I don't even mention wolf33d's comment. I fully disagree with him on that one but he is entitled to have his opinion. You instead @Inazuma you mention that as a fact. It is not : )

I am not Canon's client more than I am Panasonic's or Blackmagic's for example.

I just don't appreciate unfounded attacks though. One of the reasons I've always supported Andrew even before he had made his fame along his blog and forums, from that dvxuser period yet, comes from the fairness of his criticism. He has never flattered Canon or any other brand without a fair basis behind.

He is much more critical than supportive BTW. No idea how long you are his reader and if you are a good reader of his articles. But I am proud to be one of his most frequent followers, so I guess I am entitled to let you know that's not accurate : -)

• Administrators

Cheers for the kind words.

These are inanimate objects to make art and technology with, it's usually more useful to be critical than to be naive, satisfied and positive... a camera does not need our praise, it does not cry or get hurt. Camera users on the other hand...

On 10/27/2018 at 2:21 PM, frontfocus said:

even the sharpened Eos R file is missing some detail in comparison. The small branches on the right are easily distinguishable in the Fuji image, but neither in Canons unsharpened nor oversharpened image.

But I agree with the generell idea, that sharpness nowadays is way overrated and there are many things that are more important. 
At the same time I don't get, why anyone should praise the Canon for things that it's not. This is the reason why canon gets away with a lot of awful decisions 

If a sharpened 1:1 pixel readout image can as detail as the super-sampling image,why any brand even bother to make super-sampling 4K?

Even line-skipping will be enough for all camera,including cinema camera

That's ridiculous

Sharpness ≠ detail  is already been proved in max's video,Z7 is a  in-camera sharpened image without any extra detail

• Administrators
On 10/28/2018 at 6:58 AM, gelaxstudio said:

Sharpness ≠ detail  is already been proved in max's video,Z7 is a  in-camera sharpened image without any extra detail

Z7 is oversampling in APS-C mode. I guess they did bother.

Still in the real world, that full frame 4K looks fine, just as it did on the D850, and the A7R III before the Z7 even existed.

2 hours ago, Inazuma said:

You go out of your way to try to disprove/discredit another reviewer for their fair criticism and still deny you're biased?

You must be some kind of Russian fake user or something.

Yes I admit it. I am biased towards Canon! It's all true! The last 7 years calling them out have all been a PR stunt! They are paying me! How do you think I afford all these Sony, Panasonic and Fuji cameras?

It's not fair criticism in Max's video and unlike you, I explain why using something called logic. It's as if you have never heard of a Sharpness setting in a Picture Style, or the Unsharp Mask in Premiere. This is basic digital filmmaker 101. You need to read a book.

Why don't you go back to complaining about the GH5 and not being able to dial sharpness down enough.

Go and do a test of your own, show some images.

Go and adjust the picture style settings and try and re-produce Max's conclusion - yeah good luck with that - your results would be totally different.

He's really only reviewed the picture style settings, and he doesn't even bothering to tell us what they are!

22 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Go and adjust the picture style settings and try and re-produce Max's conclusion - yeah good luck with that - your results would be totally different.

He's really only reviewed the picture style settings, and he doesn't even bothering to tell us what they are!

He was comparing the cameras directly against each other. It is not his first dance either, he knows about sharpness settings, so it is not as though he would have forgotten about them. You are being presumptuous about that. 

People may be OK with softer images, clearly a lot here are, so for them the EOS-R may be good enough. That does not change the observation he was making that the other systems had better detail. It may be that the Canon sharpness setting is so aggressive that turning it all the way down degrades detail, but if that is the case then it is something people need to be aware of, particularly if they are shooting 4K. From his review there is no question that the Canon as shown was significantly less detailed than the other systems.