EOS R does NOT lack sharpness in 4K - Here's proof

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
5 hours ago, gelaxstudio said:

If canon throw something better than sony at  the same price,I  will definitely shut my mouth

Maybe you can help bring some light to my original question.

Imo Sony are the once that doesn't match the Canon specs at the same price. Which is ok, we all have different preferences. 
But you won't see me accusing people who like the A7iii to be apologists, fanboys, etc. I just figure they are willing to live with a camera crippled in some respects because its excelling in others. In the very same way that a Canon, Nikon, Panasonic, BMD user would.

But my observation that I find weird is that its trendy to bash Canon reviews, canon marketing trips (ignoring Sonys) and in some instances Canon users..
Why do you think that is?
(Im not saying you are doing all of these things, Im just asking since you seem to feel strongly about the subject.)

My theory is because its big and mainstream.

5 hours ago, gelaxstudio said:

not some fanboy BS

Exactly, but why does it seem so brand dependent?

57 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

But my observation that I find weird is that its trendy to bash Canon reviews, canon marketing trips (ignoring Sonys) and in some instances Canon users..
Why do you think that is?

Let me preface this by saying I'm not bashing Canon as a brand, and I do love the image their cameras produce, but there are legitimate reasons why they get criticised.

I agree it's partly because Canon are still the big boys in the market and therefore draw more criticism. However Sony have, in the last few years, released a number of cameras which have pushed the boundaries in technology, giving us new capabilities in Log, slow motion, resolution, size, hybrids etc. They haven't all been a huge success, but you do get the feeling they're pushing their own technology to see how much they can fit in to the cameras and straining at the limits. Remember how much criticism they get for overheating, which is proof they're pushing the tech pretty hard.

Canon, on the other hand, have been proven to deliberately hold back technology, and sit very conservatively in old tech with outdated specs, when we know they're sitting on things that could do better. Given how many people were invested in their systems, it's rubbed people up the wrong way.

lastly I would say that Sony gets loads of criticism for their colour, ergonomics, menus, pricing, some of which isn't really justified, while some of it is. So Canon aren't the only brand which gets bashed.

Very interesting discussion though, and I would say that when you don't pixel peep, the EOS R does produce some lovely video with rich colours and a very nice feel.

• Super Members
7 minutes ago, austinchimp said:

However Sony have, in the last few years, released a number of cameras which have pushed the boundaries in technology, giving us new capabilities in Log, slow motion, resolution, size, hybrids etc. They haven't all been a huge success, but you do get the feeling they're pushing their own technology to see how much they can fit in to the cameras and straining at the limits. Remember how much criticism they get for overheating, which is proof they're pushing the tech pretty hard.

Canon, on the other hand, have been proven to deliberately hold back technology, and sit very conservatively in old tech with outdated specs, when we know they're sitting on things that could do better. Given how many people were invested in their systems, it's rubbed people up the wrong way.

I agree with a lot of this. But it is user dependent. Looking at it from a Canon user perspective its Canon that push boundaries and offer innovative technology while Sony are holding back.
It all depends on who you ask, no right or wrong. But if someone makes a review saying that they are willing to live with the missing features and shortcomings of the A7iii thats ok. Just their opinion. If the same guy says the same thing about a Canon he is a payed idiot fanboy. 

But you are right, Sony gets a lot of flak for menus, skin tones, etc. But not their users in the same way that Canons do.
Since I have a youtube channel with a fairly large number of comments from the average camera dudes on line and read alll of them. I get a pretty good picture of the over all tone. And rarely if not never do I see Sony, Panasonic or Fuji users called "paid", "idiots", "fanboys" etc. But a Canon and Leica users are receiving it daily. 
With Leica its easier to understand since it has so much to do with the price and the fact that you really need to be a photographer to "get" Leica, not just a camera dude. But Canon has products in all tiers and prices. 

Your right, it is an interesting discussion. 

1 hour ago, austinchimp said:

As a person heavily invested in Canon lenses, this is the crux of it and my main irritation with them. I'm a Canon user and feel it is Canon that is holding back - for my uses anyway which are predominantly video orientated

Canon can definitely be bashed for being way behind, the crop was not a design choice or crippling, they simply could not figure out how to read the sensor out fast enough to get a full frame scan before the next frame. If the processor is the culprit that that is a joke too, they have cinema cameras, they know how to do it.

The a6300 is still the king of barely making it tho and will probably remain the champ of all the rolling shutter charts right at the bottom, unless canon can beat it (show me the numbers).

https://www.eoshd.com/2015/07/shootout-of-the-4k-flagships-canon-1d-c-versus-samsung-nx1/

It's more to color than white balance, although corrected does put them more equal it's still very apparent the difference in rendering many shades of green vs just a few.

4 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Can someone that have watched the video summarize how that shows why its ok to look the other way about Sony shortcomings but not Canon?

I think the point was that 90% of ppl showed bias when shown brand names instead of numbers and answered differently because of this.

Yea those match pretty good and show the difference between green and lots of greens.

The first two do get a little closer haze wise but you can still see grass have same color as trees on one but the other shows they are not.

Oh and while we are at it, look at the sharpness comparison video, one of the cameras have a brown grass thingy while the other camera see it as green.