Sony FS5 has a $750 price drop to under $3.5K

IronFilm

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1185424-REG/sony_pxw_fs5_xdcam_super_35.html

Spotted the news when I was checking up on the HiSpeedCamera website:

http://www.hispeedcams.com/sony-fs5-240fps-full-hd-camera-gets-750-price-drop/

Didn't realise a new FS5 had dropped to well under four grand.
But I had already noticed the prices of a FS5 on eBay had been steadily trending down this year. 

So while the the FS700 had become more and more attractive (around US$1.5K ish is a common price on eBay for a FS700), if the FS5 comes down in price to only be another $1K more (as I'm sure the price drop on a new FS5 will apply pressure to eBay prices!) then it might be a tough ask to buy a FS700 when the FS5 is only a little more. Hmmmm..... 

But the Sony PMW-F3 on eBay for as low as possibly US$750ish itself for a whole camera (the FS5 price drop equals a whole F3!) remains attractive, especially as I wouldn't need to buy a new recorder at all for a 2nd F3 camera. (although in the last month or two the  low end floor price of an F3 seems to have trended back up to $1K, I dunno... just a momentary blip I assume in the overall inevitable decline in prices for everything)

Plus of course let's not forget the new BMPCC4K and the many other mirrorless cameras recently released. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
57 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

yuh $3.5K aint bad, lower than most used FS5s were going for last month on Ebay.

Yup, earlier this year then $3.5K might have been barely above the floor of the lowest price you could get lucky to find a FS5 for on eBay. 
But with a price drop, I'd hope they should get down to sub $2.5K during 2019

The FS5 might not be everyone's cup of tea, but for your general purpose run of the mill corporate/tv/web work then the FS5 is solid choice. 

The Sony FS5 is basically Sony's version of the classic Canon C100 workhorse. 

In fact when I look back at the last half dozen invoices I sent recently for my sound work, then half of them the camera crew was using a FS5! (heh, just how the cookie crumbled recently though. Across the whole year the average would be much lower I've seen FS5 cameras)

That internal variable ND is REALLY hard to pass up, even when going back to a traditional video camera with the standard 3 fixed NDs

51 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

The FS5 might not be everyone's cup of tea, but for your general purpose run of the mill corporate/tv/web work then the FS5 is solid choice. 

The Sony FS5 is basically Sony's version of the classic Canon C100 workhorse. 

• Super Members

I've seen some very interesting stuff on YouTube with the FS5 and ProResRAW.

I don't know whether Atomos would do it but the AtomX expansion port would be a great way to for them to have an add on to add SDI and ProResRAW to the Ninja V.

A used FS5 with that would probably be $3.5K ish which is a lot of bang for the buck.

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

I don't know whether Atomos would do it but the AtomX expansion port would be a great way to for them to have an add on to add SDI and ProResRAW to the Ninja V.

Am pretty sure there will be a SDI expansion. The bigger question is if they'll support SDI and TC? I doubt it, but one can dream! 

Otherwise the 7Q+ will remain as a much better choice for me. 

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

A used FS5 with that would probably be $3.5K ish which is a lot of bang for the buck.

I bet in 2019 I used FS5 + Ninja V will go for much less, sub $3K is attainable. 

51 minutes ago, GreekBeast said:

What do you guys think about this vs an eva1 for wedding cinematography?

I'd want the EVA1 for sure, for a range of reasons: better internal codecs, timecode, etc

But also a new EVA1 costs nearly three times the amount of what soon a secondhand FS5 on ebay will cost. 

Went and hunted down what the past sale prices of the Panasonic EVA1 on eBay, sadly only two in their history ? And it looks like you've only save seven hundred bucks by going secondhand with a FS5.

7 minutes ago, GreekBeast said:

Geoff some clients want 4k. Currently I own a gh5 /w sigma 18-35  so I think c100mkii its a step backwards

No slow motion either with the C100 either (60fps 1080 hardly counts does it?), and a few other features missing too like no SDI output and no mirrorless mount (EF mount.... biggest downside of the EVA1!). Oh, and the C100 has no 10bit internal! Also Sony gives you fun features Canon never has in a C100, such as live streaming over WiFi from the FS5:

C100mk2 and FS5 are however identical prices now:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1086125-REG/canon_eos_c100_cinema_eos.html