New firmware Panasonic GH5/GH5S autofocus shootout. Does it match the Fujifilm X-T3, Nikon Z7, Sony A7 III and Canon EOS R?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Very interesting, thank you for this test. Modern Panasonic lenses should (hopefully!) perform better for AF on the GH5(s).

Furthermore, there are many different settings for continuous AF in video on the GH5. Which one did you use? I still haven’t figured out which setting works best...

Excellent, practical test, Andrew. As a Fuji shooter I have a few questions. Can you name any other Fuji lenses that have the improved AF other than the ones you named.

Second, do you think it's possible for fuji to update the firmware of older lenses (Zb. 23 1.4) for similar performance of the 23 2.0? ( I do have the 16-55 2.8, and it's AF and eye AF are rock solid---and the lens doesn't hunt in the talking head tests I've done.) But I do note the 18-135, 55-200 (?) don't seem to do as well.

Panasonic NATIVE LENSES MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE!!! - The Panasonic 12-35, 12-60 and 35-100 have worked  really nicely with AF since the previous firmware update - I use them on paid shoots in AF when i have a tricky focus (like a slider / dolly push into an object) - it looks like the latest update is even better.  

I have the Oly 7-14 (I love it's field of view for real estate) and DO NOT use the AF with that (luckily its not a fly by wire focus system) as OLYMPUS and Pana firmware dont seem to communicate that well. Its AF is dodgy as - so I would strongly recommend you try this test with a panasonic lens - I think you will be impressed. 

• Administrators
7 hours ago, Matt Holder said:

Panasonic NATIVE LENSES MAKE ALL THE DIFFERENCE!!! - The Panasonic 12-35, 12-60 and 35-100 have worked  really nicely with AF since the previous firmware update - I use them on paid shoots in AF when i have a tricky focus (like a slider / dolly push into an object) - it looks like the latest update is even better.  

I have the Oly 7-14 (I love it's field of view for real estate) and DO NOT use the AF with that (luckily its not a fly by wire focus system) as OLYMPUS and Pana firmware dont seem to communicate that well. Its AF is dodgy as - so I would strongly recommend you try this test with a panasonic lens - I think you will be impressed. 

Yes in next test I'll use a Panasonic.

They could have done with telling us!!

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes in next test I'll use a Panasonic.

They could have done with telling us!!

In these days when cameras are computers and lenses are computers... so much for an open standard like micro 4/3rd. Obsolescence is the flip side of progress. 
Hoping Nikon has had time to think a long time ahead on the Z mount, so we don't end up with too many compatibility issues too soon. One thing I can guess is that I won't be using any of these electronically controlled lenses in 40 years, unlike some of my AIS Nikkors.

2 hours ago, BasiliskFilm said:

In these days when cameras are computers and lenses are computers... so much for an open standard like micro 4/3rd. Obsolescence is the flip side of progress. 
Hoping Nikon has had time to think a long time ahead on the Z mount, so we don't end up with too many compatibility issues too soon. One thing I can guess is that I won't be using any of these electronically controlled lenses in 40 years, unlike some of my AIS Nikkors.

Sincerely, just the autofocus of these new z lens will make me use them 90% of the time. Imagine being able to do manual focus a scene like second part of the video. I just did some shot of dancers and it was hell, I would do with such a video auto focus.

22 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Name the ways it is a lot better. I'm not really seeing it in this test.

In the Video CINEMA5D posted it looked better almost everytime. It picked up the subject quicker. 

19 hours ago, tomsemiterrific said:

Excellent, practical test, Andrew. As a Fuji shooter I have a few questions. Can you name any other Fuji lenses that have the improved AF other than the ones you named.

Second, do you think it's possible for fuji to update the firmware of older lenses (Zb. 23 1.4) for similar performance of the 23 2.0? ( I do have the 16-55 2.8, and it's AF and eye AF are rock solid---and the lens doesn't hunt in the talking head tests I've done.) But I do note the 18-135, 55-200 (?) don't seem to do as well.

I don't think firmware will help. The lenses are just outdated. Like a fellow youtuber said its like putting a wooden wagon wheel on a Bugatti. 

The 18-55, 23 f2, 50 f2, 90 f2, and 16mm 1.4 seem to be the best ones. I have also heard the 18-135 and 55-200 aren't as fast.