Panasonic S1R To Shoot Raw

DBounce

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
3 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

The 168mp sensor is most likely a reference to its 'pixel shift' mode. The actual sensor is likely to be 42mp (168/4) - probably because they are working with a Sony sensor.

It's confirmed at 47 megapixels not 42.

https://cvp.com/product/panasonic-s1r-lumix

7 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Well I will probably be dead by then. ?

Fingers crossed I won't be. But maybe I will after next weekend... doing the toughest bike race in the southern hemisphere.

7 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

It will be amazing what will be out by then. I doubt you would even want the S1 even if it was free.

It is interesting what the passage of time does to camera values. Both their secondhand marketplace value, and their personal value to the user. 

Some cease to have any interest whatsoever, while others turn into gems which pack in a lot of value for your dollar. 
For example my beloved Sony PMW-F3! A very high end camera that is now dirt cheap. 

Or for another example, the Nikon D700. This was a staple pro workhorse. But now I'd have zero interest in it whatsoever, it does't even have 720 video! ha

However.... even old cameras which don't appeal to me, like the D700, under specific circumstances can still make sense. What if I found myself doing a few real estate photo shoots on the side? Just enough to justify a new camera and lens perhaps, but not quite enough to justify buying say a Nikon D750. Then the dirt cheap D700 full frame sensor paired with low budget Rokinon 24mm Tilt Shift might be a wonderful combo! (and the 12MP sensor would be a bonus for high volume real estate shoots, rather have that than big D800 files!)

13 hours ago, DBounce said:

So rumor has it that the upcoming Panasonic S1R will be able to output raw. Additionally, the camera will sport a 168MP sensor.

This is shaping up to be one to watch.

Well thank f*ck for that...  I was wondering if I was EVER going to be able to record 16K time lapse videos!!

6 minutes ago, Nikkor said:

Probably every camera out there does it (except when they crop to 1:1 pixel or oversample).

AFAIK all RAW output is 1:1 pixel. Pixel binning, resampling, oversampling etc is for generating non RAW image data like Jpeg, ProRes , Tif etc. If RAW is resampled it's by definition not RAW IMO. 

This looks exactly like those Sony rumors that where floating around which proved to be ludicrous. You have to be brain dead to think that Panasonic would release a FF camera that would shoot raw between 3-4K. People are starting to believe that these corporation are Santa, they would render all there other camera line obsolete just for fun.

3 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

AFAIK all RAW output is 1:1 pixel. Pixel binning, resampling, oversampling etc is for generating non RAW image data like Jpeg, ProRes , Tif etc. If RAW is resampled it's by definition not RAW IMO. 

Aha, so Magic Lantern Raw is not Raw, right? Raw simply is non-debayered data. There are many ways to reduce pixel count without debayering. When a camera oversamples, it debayers the whole image and then scales it down, but if a camera pixel bins, then it reduces the pixels before debayering, if you take that data you will get raw with reduced resolution from the whole sensor.

Dunno about obsolete.  Most established professionals would pay a big premium for a fully-equipped cinema camera over a luxury hybrid, even if the jump in image-quality was tiny or non-existent.  Not the same for entryists and monied enthusiasts of course.  While the EVA1 might be a bit dented (or even seriously so), Varicam would be untroubled I'd imagine.

For a piece of the expensive but mass-market FF mirror-less sector, that maths might possibly add up for Panasonic.