I am leaving Vimeo over their scandalous DMCA policy

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Buh bye! Tomorrow I will start to pull all my videos from Vimeo and transfer them to another platform.

That's not because playback performance remains a problem after half a decade.

It's because Vimeo cannot even assure the safety of my account any more.

It could be deleted at any moment.

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I had the exact same experience. I shoot weddings for a living and after having 2 strikes with the threat of having everything removed upon the 3rd strike, I opted to go into 2018 uploading everything to YouTube instead. About 2 months ago, I received my 3rd strike on a video I had uploaded 4 years ago and my whole video archive was deleted. I still had to re-upload previous 2017 and 2016 projects to YouTube, but at least all my 2018 files were already safe. I'm just bummed I've put money into Vimeo and they wrecked my shit.

Edit: All that to say, heed Andrew's warning, because it can and will happen. It's just a matter of time.

5 minutes ago, UnclePau said:

I had the exact same experience. I shoot weddings for a living and after having 2 strikes with the threat of having everything removed upon the 3rd strike, I opted to go into 2018 uploading everything to YouTube instead. About 2 months ago, I received my 3rd strike on a video I had uploaded 4 years ago and my whole video archive was deleted. I still had to re-upload previous 2017 and 2016 projects to YouTube, but at least all my 2018 files were already safe. I'm just bummed I've put money into Vimeo and they wrecked my shit.

Edit: All that to say, heed Andrew's warning, because it can and will happen. It's just a matter of time.

Indeed, I received this same message today.  I'm migrating everything to YouTube for now until another platform emerges.  I'm on my 2nd strike and really received NO warning smh.

• Administrators

It's a very anti-customer move.

Sorry to hear of your experiences!

I am moving it all to YouTube but I will seek out an alternative host for embeds with no ads and original file downloads. Keep the suggestions for those coming.

One of my friend got his vimeo account banned after 3 strikes, they say you can still ask for access for 24hrs to backup your stuff but ban is permanent.

Some company actually send FUD email to you about illegal music licensing or actually check your channel and see if u have infringement , our company received some of those emails once a while and we just move those email to trash since we bought the music all the time.

https://d.tube/

D tube there the videos can't be deleted because they are on the blockchain

Also youtube is also not the solution

https://www.google.nl/amp/s/www.rt.com/news/441971-youtube-article-13-memes-eu/amp/

here the blog

https://youtube-creators.googleblog.com/2018/10/a-final-update-on-our-priorities-for.html?m=1

damn... interesting

and you pay, how much a month for this treatment? like $30-$50? for me to upload one single 4 min video id be in the $50 a month tier

ive been so frustrated by youtubes lack of communication, im about to just upload to my own website

fuck all this!

20 minutes ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

memes must be stopped!! theyre too powerful!

NPC-13-groupthink-992x1024.jpg

• Administrators
1 hour ago, ntblowz said:

One of my friend got his vimeo account banned after 3 strikes, they say you can still ask for access for 24hrs to backup your stuff but ban is permanent.

Some company actually send FUD email to you about illegal music licensing or actually check your channel and see if u have infringement , our company received some of those emails once a while and we just move those email to trash since we bought the music all the time.

24hrs??

How do you download 10 years worth of uploads in that space of time?

Do you get a refund for the Plus and Pro yearly fee or is that down the drain too?

Surely under law you can request ALL data they hold for your account. It is your data. Stuff like analytics, video viewing figures, comments and user feedback, private messages, etc. Is there a way to back this up?

Pretty serious situation I think.

The main thing that strikes me about Vimeo's policy - is that it amounts to financial suicide by Vimeo.

I see the need for copyright laws but they often seem absurd to me. For instance, I dont see why it is illegal to take a photo or video of the Eiffel Tower at night.

https://petapixel.com/2017/10/14/photos-eiffel-tower-night-illegal/

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

24hrs??

How do you download 10 years worth of uploads in that space of time?

Do you get a refund for the Plus and Pro yearly fee or is that down the drain too?

Surely under law you can request ALL data they hold for your account. It is your data. Stuff like analytics, video viewing figures, comments and user feedback, private messages, etc. Is there a way to back this up?

After checking the email it's 72 hours not 24 hours to backup your stuff, but yeah a massive hit to my friend's business (he does wedding videos) since his website links video to his vimeo account.

If you do not wish to contest the strikes but are seeking access to your other videos we may be able to place your account into Temporary Access Mode. This will restore your account in a limited capacity for 72 hours so that you are able archive your other videos that were not subject to a takedown claim under the DMCA. 

That sucks. I wonder if you have the videos set to only appear on a specific website, and not on Vimeo, it that would still get you in trouble? I have a bunch of client music videos that could easily cause problems. 

The trouble with Youtube though, is that videos played on their YouTube app (both iOS and Android), are a frame or two out of sync with the audio. It’s a joke. They play back fine in browsers though.

And as for an alternative, Flickr are good. Although I haven’t checked if they can stream 4K.

20 minutes ago, Glenn Thomas said:

That sucks. I wonder if you have the videos set to only appear on a specific website, and not on Vimeo, it that would still get you in trouble? I have a bunch of client music videos that could easily cause problems. 

The trouble with Youtube though, is that videos played on their YouTube app (both iOS and Android), are a frame or two out of sync with the audio. It’s a joke. They play back fine in browsers though.

And as for an alternative, Flickr are good. Although I haven’t checked if they can stream 4K.

Flickr is ok but it is limited - to a maximum of 3 minutes playback and 1GB file size.

As usual, It's all about money. Basically Vimeo has been fighting in court since 2009 over a stupid  "lipdubs" videos. The case has taken many twists and turns but it's still there.

It seems to be a good analysis:

"The case, which was first filed in 2009, initially focused on Vimeo's promotion of so-called "lipdubs." Vimeo is a much smaller competitor to YouTube for hosting videos, but in the 2007 to 2009 timeframe, got some attention for hosting these "lipdubs" of people singing along to famous songs. Perhaps the most famous was one done by the staff of Vimeo itself. And the case continues. As law professor Eric Goldman notes about this case, the fact that such a case is limping along in its 9th year, and still hasn't even reached the summary judgment stage, suggests some worrisome things for innovation in this market. Consider this: have you ever pondered why YouTube is the dominant video hosting platform? Here’s one hypothesis to explore. It took YouTube nearly a decade, and well over $100M, to eventually settle its DMCA lawsuit. YouTube’s competitor Veoh won its DMCA safe harbor defense in court but ran out of money and dropped out of the industry along the way. YouTube’s competitor Vimeo has been hemorrhaging cash fighting this litigation since 2009. And what potential video hosting investor wants to shovel the first $100M+ of raised capital into the inevitable DMCA lawfare with the copyright owners–before you even start building a viable or profitable business? I think we can connect the dots between the lack of competition in video hosting and the safe harbor’s (defective) design."

So it may explain why Vimeo is extra sensitive with the DMCA BS and why there isn't much competition in this field. They are hammered by labels in courts while Youtube dominates the market and managed to keep the DMCA under control because it has the resource to fight back.

i have a personal question to add to this, same issue:

if i upload a video to youtube with a famous song, will it *automatically* be found and flagged? by "the algorithm"?

what if its listed as private?

what if its in a film with a bunch of foley/other sound? i would imagine that screws up the autofind dmca bot

anybody have any experience with this?

this is why im like, screw this, ill host it on my own site. its for a few important people to see at the moment – i dont need any bandwidth~! lol

3 minutes ago, kaylee said:

i have a personal question to add to this, same issue:

if i upload a video to youtube with a famous song, will it *automatically* be found and flagged? by "the algorithm"?

what if its listed as private?

what if its in a film with a bunch of foley/other sound? i would imagine that screws up the autofind dmca bot

anybody have any experience with this?

this is why im like, screw this, ill host it on my own site. its for a few important people to see at the moment – i dont need any bandwidth~! lol

It will find it even if set to private. For most music it will just turn off monitisation and the video can remain up with no problems. If you have music from Sony, like their premium music that shipped with Vegas then some spammers will claim it as their own. A simple dispute in that case wins every time for me. 

This is why I stopped using YouTube. A company that ran noise reduction on a public domain track to gain ownership, started placing ads against my video because I used the dirty version, the public domain version. ContentID can't tell the difference. I tried appealing but learned there are no PEOPLE at YouTube. It's an automated company. So I switched everything off. 

With the mad EU internet laws coming down the pipe - news link taxes for Rupert Murdoch and ContentID across the web for the media corps - the internet won't be a place for making or sharing things.

Everything seems to point to self-publishing video, although it seems technically quite constrained

6 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

The main thing that strikes me about Vimeo's policy - is that it amounts to financial suicide by Vimeo.

I see the need for copyright laws but they often seem absurd to me. For instance, I dont see why it is illegal to take a photo or video of the Eiffel Tower at night.

https://petapixel.com/2017/10/14/photos-eiffel-tower-night-illegal/

Well, if you digitally delete the existing lights in insert your own, then you should be OK.