Vimeo alternatives

Andrew Reid

2 hours ago, dslnc said:

Sure, that is the basic way embedding a video onto a webpage today. If that’s all you need you are good to go ?

However if you need stats or having the minimum ambition regarding the player functionality and looks it is another story.

And more importantly the distribution on the internet. The user experience.

If you want your 1080p or 4K video to play relatively fast forget about uploading it to your shared web host plan thinking that is it.

To perform well and stream fast the video has to be hosted on a good CdN too

Further more people are used to adaptive streaming. Not just one bitrate version of the video being downloaded. It is more important than ever since many are watching using their phone on the go.

It seems simple but for high performance delivery and smooth experience the embed code is just a very small part of the equation.

These are all valid points. I am going to try this anyway and give you guys some feedback here. The plans are monthly so it won't be o costly test.

We can do some other tests too. I can post a video here and you can give me some feedback about it's playback performance.

The facts are solid though. YouTube is low quality, Vimeo is unreliable and all the alternatives are expensive, at least for the majority of users.

So we can push this further from being a debate to a collective effort towards a simple and clean solution. Apparently we are not trying to cover an extreme scenario, say a website with 2000 visitors a day and 4 digit number of videos. Something like this would produce a significant amount of income so the cost would not be a problem.

Let's put down a typical scenario, something like a 100 video portfolio collection and 50-100 visitors a day. Would a dedicated server nail this? I don't know... 

But if there is a place we can address this it's this forum.

I think we lean towards Cloud Storage VS Dedicated Server, money wise.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@Andrew Reid Some food for thought as winter is coming. EOSHD is already a big and healthy community. Guess what could compliment your site...

Right! A bunch of servers. It does't have to implement personal funding. I would prefer paying a fee to you and this community than any company to store my videos.

Not big enough to be subject to those silly regulations. Big enough for your videos to reach your audience. 

4 hours ago, dslnc said:

Further more people are used to adaptive streaming. Not just one bitrate version of the video being downloaded. It is more important than ever since many are watching using their phone on the go.

Yeah, all valid points!

i sometimes think simpler is better. For instance I liked Vimeo more when I could just put it to 1080p and let it preload then watch it later full in good resolution. Without the adaptive part fucking up my streaming experience, same goes to YT. A plus is also that I have absolute control over streaming quality ---> no, "YT is fucking up my grain" ?

Or you could go @viewport and serve to screen size?

Surley it will never be as elaborate as YT but the general focus would also be different. Video quality would be important, rapid fire served entertainment with ads not so much.

1 hour ago, Dimitris Stasinos said:

The facts are solid though. YouTube is low quality, Vimeo is unreliable and all the alternatives are expensive, at least for the majority of users.

I had some issues with vimeo when they first introduced 4K and adaptive streaming (2-3 years ago?). For a while it was quite a bit more sluggish than youtube. But at least for me (anywhere in EU) I experience good vimeo performance.

Let's put down a typical scenario, something like a 100 video portfolio collection and 50-100 visitors a day. Would a dedicated server nail this? I don't know... 

I think we lean towards Cloud Storage VS Dedicated Server, money wise.

If you want all or most of the world to see or experience your videos a dedicated web server isn't good enough. You need dedicated video hosting with proper CDN otherwise people will get tired of waiting for the video to buffer up/download.
I cannot not recommend a web server for the video part - If your bread and butter is that people can see your films/videos no matter where they are and with what device they have at hand (which is expected in 2018) it is simply not recommend. You will not be able to control the delivery quality (time it take to buffer up/download depending on region)

Back in 2012 a client of mine (DIR and DOP agency) changed their web hosted videos (300+) to a dedicated video hosting. Finally we settled for vimeo pro using the API to make a custom interface after evaluating most services in the market. We we also evaluating building our own buying bulk video hosting space and bandwidth  and using online encoding services - you have to build in quite a few commodities to compete -  But it would be more expensive - It is not only building the service it is also continuous maintenance and scaling. Today web services or apps is just as depended of workshops as a car.
From 2007-2011 they where relying on self hosted video on a dedicated server on a really good web host. While working great regionally. Globally it was more hit and miss. And back then it was only focused on laptop / desktop users.
For them choosing vimeo not only saved €xxxx a year.  The result was better video delivery in all the countries where they represented people or showing reels.
And the fact that all they had to do was uploading one video and all the rest happened automatic saved them a bunch of time. (wrongly encoding videos for their target bandwidth results in inferior user experience)

I am not trying to scare you. But consider an alternative way to host the video part. Speak with amazon, with encoding.com etc. There are a market bigger than ever for selling/buying bulk video hosting, bandwidth and distribution. 

16 minutes ago, hansel said:

Or you could go @viewport and serve to screen size?

it depends on bandwidth available too - Imagine you are on the countryside and you get spotty 4g coverage. If you only can see a 1080p version of a video you will have to be patient with multiple stops occurring or even give up trying. a 720p or 540p version might have worked ok. - Video going mobile changed the game. Most likely you don't have constant bandwidth available. Only on desktops.
I loved the progressive download days. But if the content is the important part of the video - consuming - it is quite nice that the video adapts to whatever bandwidth is available in the moment. However if I am on a desktop / laptops connected to a fibernet I do expect instant performance. Up to 1080p/2K I get it with vimeo. 4k starts to perform better (at least in my part of the world)

2 hours ago, nigelbb said:

If you want to stream wedding videos with unlicensed music then it's easy enough to host on your own VPS. The traffic will be minimal & no record company could ever find your content anyway. Same goes for proof copies & demos for clients.

Sure, If that is the objective. 

or sending a link with Dropbox, google drive or WeTransfer 

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, heart0less said:

Um.. 
How is vimeo working on your desktops?

I can't add a video to Watch Later list, nor can I like it - I get this error instead.

On my Android app everything works flawlessly.

Tried deleting cache, temp, logging out - didn't help at all.

image.thumb.png.26a3211cc970e43cc4dd28425bd90562.png

Yeah I have the same problem in chrome. In other browsers not issue though.