Vimeo alternatives

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Due to a couple of old DMCA claims against my Vimeo account from 2016 and older, they are terminating my account if another one is made. As these are quite common and often made in error, I no longer consider Vimeo a secure place for my channel and EOSHD embeds.

I am looking for alternative pay-monthly video hosting sites to replace Vimeo.

Must have no ads obviously! Support for smooth 4K playback and original file downloads. Any suggestions?

Is there a way to pay for a YouTube account upgrade for my videos on there, so that the user experience is better for viewers regardless of what YouTube account they have? No ads is a must.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You could maybe use something like Dropbox - not sure how the streaming is nowadays, but original file downloads couldn't be easier. Seems like a happy medium between a streaming service and hosting yourself. Of course, you'd lose the ability for people to stumble on your videos as easily.

YouTube only has ads if you put up content you don't have permission to use. If you use AudioNetwork or any service like that, they put ads on until you send a dispute, then a day later, they take their paws off that upload.

Hi Andrew.
I had the exact same issue with Vimeo this month. A BS DMCA claim and Vimeo is not answering my counter request. Even youtube which is free finally removed one of the DMCA take down after I send a counter request.
This DMCA thing is such a BS, anybody can throw that at you. They hit first and never double check anything.

I'm going to check Wistia.

• 2 weeks later...

Flickr may now turn into a viable alternative.

A couple of days ago the announced a revamp...

https://www.flickr.com/

...following on from the acquisition by Smugmug...

A 'pro' account is US$49 a year with unlimited uploads.

From 'early 2019' video playback will be increased from a maximum of 3 minutes to a maximum of 10 minutes....

On 10/22/2018 at 9:24 PM, Anaconda_ said:

You could maybe use something like Dropbox - not sure how the streaming is nowadays, but original file downloads couldn't be easier. Seems like a happy medium between a streaming service and hosting yourself. Of course, you'd lose the ability for people to stumble on your videos as easily.

My main issue with using Dropbox is that the quality is horrible when you watch it directly through a shared link. Everyone can download the original file, but when most viewers end up just watching the preview, that's a real drawback. If anyone knows a way to enable high-quality previews or embedded video from Dropbox, that would be appreciated.

On 10/23/2018 at 7:09 AM, Andrew Reid said:

Due to a couple of old DMCA claims against my Vimeo account from 2016 and older, they are terminating my account if another one is made. As these are quite common and often made in error, I no longer consider Vimeo a secure place for my channel and EOSHD embeds.

I am looking for alternative pay-monthly video hosting sites to replace Vimeo.

And as soon as you stop paying, they stop hosting. Basically all your videos disappear completely. I thought it was a bit off. Not even a 720p version left behind. 

8 hours ago, Orangenz said:

And as soon as you stop paying, they stop hosting. Basically all your videos disappear completely. I thought it was a bit off. Not even a 720p version left behind. 

Not so. I just checked my old defunct account & all the videos are still there. Once you stop paying Vimeo they host 720p versions of your videos.

• Administrators
On 11/1/2018 at 6:04 PM, Christina Ava said:

bump

any good alternatives? 

Wistia at 100 bucks a month is way expensive and could be hit next,  

I am finding it pretty hard to come up with a good alternative to Vimeo.

I even thought about opening a second Vimeo account without any DMCA strikes, and moving stuff over to that. Then if that gets a strike in future, cancel it, and move again. Yes it's a pain but might only have to do it every couple of years. Thing is, you never know when something can happen.

YouTube is full of ads and community is... erm... yeah.

Self-hosting I think could honestly be the way forward, but won't help draw viewers to your work. If it's just to show clients on a web page, then self hosting is fine though.

How about this - https://fabrik.io/for/filmmakers

"Instant import from Vimeo and YouTube" sounds like a good time-saver to getting started

14 hours ago, Christina Ava said:

elite video player and private hosting is a solution.

https://codecanyon.net/item/elite-video-player/10013114

we can host in googledrive or MEGA, and link the the player directly embeded in our websites.

that way you are not putting your work in the whim of greedy executives

Google drive direct linking has been dead since 2016.

You used to be able to hotlink to media files but now you can only share the file, which means whatever link is generated, takes you to the google drive page.

12 hours ago, andrgl said:

You used to be able to hotlink to media files but now you can only share the file, which means whatever link is generated, takes you to the google drive page.

Yeah hosting and encoding is one thing, but the most important is the community, without commenting, friends, following, liking, rating, messaging or decent search engine it is a big failure. 

On 11/3/2018 at 7:40 AM, nigelbb said:

Not so. I just checked my old defunct account & all the videos are still there. Once you stop paying Vimeo they host 720p versions of your videos.

How much did you upload?

Your account will revert to Basic.

You have 15.5GB uploaded to your account. If your membership expires, you’ll only keep 10GB of videos you uploaded as a paid member. And since the total storage limit for Basic accounts is 5GB, you also won’t be able to upload videos (unless you remove videos until you’re below the limit).

You’ll no longer enjoy your Vimeo Plus benefits. Bummer!

Then they sent 

Your source files will be deleted in 5 days

That means the highest-quality version of your video files will be permanently deleted from Vimeo unless you renew your Plus membership by Jul, 12, 2018. Once your original source files are gone, you'll no longer be able to download them from Vimeo, and your viewers won’t be able to either.

And

Because your membership has expired, your account has been downgraded to Basic, and you and your viewers may have lost access to some of your videos.

Bold format is theirs.

1 hour ago, Orangenz said:

How much did you upload?

Then they sent 

And

Bold format is theirs.

I have less than 5GB so although they did delete the 1080p they leave 720p versions of all videos. I was countering your claim that they delete "all your files" when clearly they don't but apply the rules you quoted when you revert to a free Basic account.

On 11/3/2018 at 12:43 AM, andrgl said:

The developer of Elite player gives some workarounds on their Envato support page plus you can buy the Wonderplugin which is a direct link generator for Google drive. This is by far the most cost effective solution for hosting videos on your low traffic page. It may not fit Andrew's needs for EOSHD but it is a good option for building a simple portfolio page. The suggested alternatives here look way overpriced, at least for my needs.