Guess the camera

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

My guess is that the reason you are presenting this guessing game is because you were suprised in some way yourself.    So Im guessing its not a new camera.  So its an old digital, but it would probably have to have some significance in order for you to buy it.   So like a 5d mark 1 or something.    Could also be the first micro four third camera with a speed booster, but I'm getting a canon vibe from the image.    It could be an old apc canon.  Ah the 50d!  We know you were already surprised by the fact that it can do raw video dispite not having a video mode.  But because you already have that it would have to be a new lens or lens combination in order to suprise you.  I initially thought it must be full frame.  So I think you are surprised by how large sensor it looks.   Im not a lens expert so someone else would have to work out what fast aperture lens it is.  Unless you have removed the mount and mirror in order to cram a speed booster in.  But thats probably pushing it a bit.

As the 50d is 10 years old, 70 years total would put the lens date of birth at 1958 (the maths confused me for a minute).  Searching 1958 lens brings up the mir 37mm f2.8,  But the feild of view looks wider than 59mm equiv and the aperture looks wider too, so probably not, but then again if it was that I can imagine it surprising you.

6 hours ago, Jerome Chiu said:

I'd also go for the M9. If so, the lens is 61 years old, i.e. was produced in around 1957. A rigid 50mm Summicron?

Ok. My second go.  I forgot to look at the resolution of the large file.  I guess I assumed it would have been scaled down.  The horizontal resolution of 5212 is exactly the same as a M9 or M9-P, and there arent any other 18 megapixel full frame cameras i dont think.   And the 18 megapixel apsc canons only have a horizontal resolution of 5184 so they are out. 

So the lens was produced in 1957 if its the M9 and 1955 if its the M9-P.     I first thought it was 35mm but now I do think its 50mm.  So 50mm summicron seems correct.

It would have to be the 5cm screw mount colapsible summicron if it was 1955 so it is more likely An M9 with rigid 50mm Summicron as already guessed.     

So that was a nice run around the houses for no reason on my part.  At least I got the exercise I guess.

I presume it is wide open as the depth of field is shallow.  If so, its certainly sharp enough wide open.  I supose thats what this shows.

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Jerome Chiu said:

I'd also go for the M9. If so, the lens is 61 years old, i.e. was produced in around 1957. A rigid 50mm Summicron?

22 hours ago, noone said:

Leica M9 ?   Nah that aint it.

I am close though I think.

6 hours ago, MattH said:

Ok. My second go.  I forgot to look at the resolution of the large file.  I guess I assumed it would have been scaled down.  The horizontal resolution of 5212 is exactly the same as a M9 or M9-P, and there arent any other 18 megapixel full frame cameras i dont think.   And the 18 megapixel apsc canons only have a horizontal resolution of 5184 so they are out. 

So the lens was produced in 1957 if its the M9 and 1955 if its the M9-P.     I first thought it was 35mm but now I do think its 50mm.  So 50mm summicron seems correct.

It would have to be the 5cm screw mount colapsible summicron if it was 1955 so it is more likely An M9 with rigid 50mm Summicron as already guessed.     

So that was a nice run around the houses for no reason on my part.  At least I got the exercise I guess.

I presume it is wide open as the depth of field is shallow.  If so, its certainly sharp enough wide open.  I supose thats what this shows.

Well done @Jerome Chiu @noone @MattH

Leica M9!

Close guess on the 50mm Summicron.

It's the "Japanese Summicron" - Canon 50mm F1.4 LTM (M39 thread to Leica M)

I am amazed such an old 10 years+ CCD sensor and a 60 year old lens gives this kind of image in 2018 - looks pretty modern doesn't it? High contrast. Superb colour and dynamic range. Hardly any noise.

If you have the chance to pick up either one - be it that lens or the Leica M9 - DO IT :)

To be fair, there is no way on Earth I would have got it if you had resized it Andrew.

Very few cameras use 18mp and especially ones from a few years ago and that have 60 year old lenses.

Does make me think that an image can pretty much come from any digital camera that isn't TOO old (IE maybe not the real early sub 6mp ILCs or older point and shoot small sensor things.